Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezelite - won't play Ogg Vorbis files and plays MP3s Mickey Mouse style

Hi!

For a long time I've had a problem with squeezelite and my Ogg Vorbis library. Squeezelite is supposed to have built-in support for Vorbis (does not rely on external library or executables), yet it won't play mine. It plays FLACs fine. I've tried on multiple computers (all various Linux flavours). I suspect there's something wrong with my files, but they were all encoded by the standard Linux Vorbis tools. Anyone experience anything like this?

Second problem that appeared more recently. Squeezelite play all my MP3s a bit too fast and too high pitch. I can't seem to connect it to anything specific, but it might have been a Ubuntu version upgrade. Certainly not a hardware change. Because the difference is noticable but not crazy (someone unfamiliar with the music at the correct pitch might not notice anything wrong, but would probably think the vocalists have somewhat light/high register voices), I suspect the reason is that Squeezelite is confused by 44.1 kHz vs 48kHz which I believe are two common sampling rates for digital audio. I tried the solution suggested in this thread, which is just specifying the output card, and that didn't work for me. Anyone have any ideas?

The first is bad, because I have a lot of Ogg Vorbis files. The second one makes Squeezelite unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvaks View Post
    Hi!

For a long time I've had a problem with squeezelite and my Ogg Vorbis library. Squeezelite is supposed to have built-in support for Vorbis (does not rely on external library or executables), yet it won't play mine. It plays FLACs fine. I've tried on multiple computers (all various Linux flavours). I suspect there's something wrong with my files, but they were all encoded by the standard Linux Vorbis tools. Anyone experience anything like this?

Second problem that appeared more recently. Squeezelite play all my MP3s a bit too fast and too high pitch. I can't seem to connect it to anything specific, but it might have been a Ubuntu version upgrade. Certainly not a hardware change. Because the difference is noticable but not crazy (someone unfamiliar with the music at the correct pitch might not notice anything wrong, but would probably think the vocalists have somewhat light/high register voices), I suspect the reason is that Squeezelite is confused by 44.1 kHz vs 48kHz which I believe are two common sampling rates for digital audio. I tried the solution suggested in this thread, which is just specifying the output card, and that didn't work for me. Anyone have any ideas?

The first is bad, because I have a lot of Ogg Vorbis files. The second one makes Squeezelite unusable.
    There has been multiple correction in squeezelite and LMS about these 2 topics. What versions do you have?
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Thanks for the reply! I see... it might be down to an old LMS then. At one point I had some trouble with Perl library compatibility, and found the easiest solution was to simply throw together a VM with an older LMS on an older Linux distro, which I knew worked well together.

So I'm using (don't laugh...) LMS version 7.9.1

The squeezelite version I'm using is the latest I could find last time I tried to fix my issue with Ogg Vorbis. It's v1.9.7-1282.

Thanks for the reply! I see... it might be down to an old LMS then. At one point I had some trouble with Perl library compatibility, and found the easiest solution was to simply throw together a VM with an older LMS on an older Linux distro, which I knew worked well together.

So I'm using (don't laugh...) LMS version 7.9.1

The squeezelite version I'm using is the latest I could find last time I tried to fix my issue with Ogg Vorbis. It's v1.9.7-1282.
    I am playing Ogg/Vorbis files without any problems since the very first day I bought a SB Duet in 2010 via LMS running on a self installed Linux server. Since 2015 I am also using software players (Squeezelite) and never had issues with Ogg/Vorbis.

Do you only use a manually configured Squeezelite config for playback or do you have other devices as well to test with? You also might test playback via Squeezelite-X, which should work out of the box on a Windows computer. If that works well then there is probably something wrong only with your Squeezelite settings.

(Btw: the only issue I am having with Squeezelite is that gapless playback is not always perfect with Ogg/Vorbis, sometimes you can hear small glitches).
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.2.0 on Xubuntu 21.10

The Ogg Vorbis files play perfectly fine on HW players (Duet, Classic). The Mickey Mouse problem is also limited to squeezelite. I don't have any computers with Microsoft Windows, so I can't try your suggestion. Thanks, though!

The Ogg Vorbis files play perfectly fine on HW players (Duet, Classic).
    LMS transcodes for those

Squeezelite is supposed to have built-in support for Vorbis (does not rely on external library or executables)
    It isn't:

Code:
    	libvorbisfile.so.3 => /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3 (0xb6ce1000)
    	libvorbis.so.0 => /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0 (0xb6caa000)
    	libogg.so.0 => /usr/lib/libogg.so.0 (0xb6c93000)
    it might be down to an old LMS then
    Unlikely

squeezelite version I'm using is the latest I could find last time I tried to fix my issue with Ogg Vorbis. It's v1.9.7-1282.
    why not upgrade to the latest?

Then run squeezelite with -d all=info (or even debug) and check what happens for ogg.
    Also for resampling:
    Code:
    resample_newstream:189 resampling from 44100 -> 48000
    Various SW: Web Interface | Text Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Ambient Noise Mixer | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Squeezelite - won't play Ogg Vorbis files and plays MP3s Mickey Mouse style

If I remember well (should look at squeezelite changelog) there was a correction in mp3 decoder related to incorrect detection of frame alignement and that caused the sampling rate to be guessed wrong. I put a patch in squeezelite but as @ralphy pointed out, mp3 libmad had a correction done. So you might either need to update libmad or use a static version of squeezelite (I think there is one)
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-08-29 at 02:17.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Thanks for the help, guys. The sampling rate issue disappeared with the latest Squeezelite version (silly of me mot to update before asking), but as expected the Ogg Vorbis issue did not.

With the runtime option -d all=info I get the following when playing a randomly chosen .ogg file:

Code:
    [10:15:06.982110] decode_flush:236 decode flush
    [10:15:06.982170] output_flush:445 flush output buffer
    [10:15:07.037267] codec_open:264 codec open: 'f'
    [10:15:07.037361] connect_socket:164 connecting to 192.168.10.182:9000
    [10:15:07.039799] stream_sock:600 header: GET /stream.mp3?player=00:27:13:53:da:88 HTTP/1.0

[10:15:07.109467] stream_thread:331 headers: len: 118
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Logitech Media Server (7.9.1 - 1515216179)
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: audio/x-flac

[10:15:07.115034] decode_flush:236 decode flush
    [10:15:07.115071] output_flush:445 flush output buffer
    I notice it says "Content-Type: audio/x-flac", but the file is indeed an Ogg Vorbis. From the Song Info in the LMS web interface:

Code:
    File Format: Ogg Vorbis
    Duration: 2:56
    Volume Adjustment: -6.35 dB
    Bitrate: 224kbps VBR
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    File Length: 4,967,200
    Location: /home/kvaks/.squeezebox/root-dir/beets/Aller VŠrste!, The-1981-Disniland i de tusen hjem_(OGG)/01_Disniland i de tusen hjem.ogg
    By the way, I did not know that LMS transcodes the Vorbis content streamed to the Logitech hardware players. That's a little disappointing! I thought they had native support. In the other hand, I probably couldn't tell difference, anyway.
    Last edited by Kvaks; 2021-08-29 at 03:30.

The current release of squeezelite is 1.9.9-1386 and my linux builds are available from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ezelite/linux/

All these builds have the codec libraries built into the binary.

Please try the problem ogg files with the latest squeezelite version and if you still have an issue, please PM me a download link to a couple of the ogg files with the problem.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The current release of squeezelite is 1.9.9-1386 and my linux builds are available from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ezelite/linux/

All these builds have the codec libraries built into the binary.

Please try the problem ogg files with the latest squeezelite version and if you still have an issue, please PM me a download link to a couple of the ogg files with the problem.
    Thanks! As of today I have this version, and the problem persists. I'll send you one of my files. As far as I know, it affects my entire Ogg-ripped library. It may very well be that the fault lies in the files, but as mentioned they were encoded with the standard Linux vorbis tools.