Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Best player for macOS, for remote connections

Hi all,

I'm looking for the best player to run on my Mac at work, connecting through an SSH tunnel to my squeezebox server at home. I've tried a few options and I'm not entirely happy with what I've done with any of them:

The SSH tunnel forwards 9000 and 3483 to my home machine. I've verified it's working by going to http://127.0.0.1:9000/ and controlling LMS. My Mac is running 10.14.3. My squeezebox server is a raspberry pi 3b+ running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1.

Squeezelite v1.9.1-1130 - Connects fine, works well, is stable - but in the default configuration I have lots of pops and crackles when mousing about certain things (browsers are bad for this!) typing and changing desktops. Very odd, doesn't happen with any other players.

Softsqueeze 3.9.2 - Connects fine (even better that it has a built-in SSH tunnel), works well, audio is clean - but isn't stable. Crashes when pausing/playing, skipping tracks, or setting the playing point to somewhere in the middle of the track. Occasionally causes the squeezebox server to crash when it does - something to do with RAM utilisation of the LMS process skyrocketing.

SqueezePlay 7.8.0r328 - Can't connect via the SSH tunnel

Any advice here? I'd be happy using Squeezelite if the audio issues can be resolved.

Thanks in advance!
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richboyce View Post
    SqueezePlay 7.8.0r328 - Can't connect via the SSH tunnel
    On macOS I am using Ralph Irving's updated version of SqueezePlay 7.8.0r1101. But not through a tunnel ! Worth trying ?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ueezeplay/osx/

Squeezelite v1.9.1-1130 - Connects fine, works well, is stable - but in the default configuration I have lots of pops and crackles when mousing about certain things (browsers are bad for this!) typing and changing desktops. Very odd, doesn't happen with any other players.
    Could be worth enabling logging to see if there's anything obvious when you get pops and crackles. Could it be buffer underruns? You could experiment with different buffer sizes.

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    On macOS I am using Ralph Irving's updated version of SqueezePlay 7.8.0r1101. But not through a tunnel ! Worth trying ?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ueezeplay/osx/
    I now have SqueezePlay working - I had neglected to forward UDP 3483, so SqueezePlay couldn't connect successfully. Now resolved by following this guide: https://stackpointer.io/network/ssh-...g-tcp-udp/365/ - basically you need to use socat to put the UDP packets through a TCP tunnel.

However, the pops and crackles I had with squeezelite are also present with SqueezePlay... I guess this build of SqueezePlay uses squeezelite to play the audio?

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Could be worth enabling logging to see if there's anything obvious when you get pops and crackles. Could it be buffer underruns? You could experiment with different buffer sizes.
    I've enabled debug logging and I can't see any errors or warnings; I've tried the top and bottom buffer settings. I'll experiment a little more.

I guess this build of SqueezePlay uses squeezelite to play the audio?
    Your conclusion is incorrect. SqueezePlay is it's own player...no squeezelite there.

The easiest way to overcome the dropouts for a remote player is to install lame on your LMS server and enable bandwidth limiting for the remote player.

If you want to experiment

For squeezelite you can try the -a option. Start at -a 120

For squeezeplay you need to set the USEPALATENCY environment variable again start at a value of 120.

See the Squeezeplay for Mac OS thread on how to do this.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

I don't actually believe it's dropouts due to bandwidth restrictions; the audio from SoftSqueeze has always been clear as a bell with no bandwidth limiting.

I've experimented with limiting the bandwidth to 256kb for squeezelite and SqueezePlay and it made no difference, the pops and crackles were still present.

However, since fixing my SSH tunnel to also forward 3483 UDP as well as TCP, SoftSqueeze has been stable and has retained its good audio quality. Until it crashes again I'll keep using it.

Thanks for your advice folks.

Just finding this thread today. SqueezePlay is working great thus far! Be sure to read the instructions for getting the app out of quarantine. I'll respond back if/when I start running into problems. But I've got my Mac rocking now! Thank you to all responders.