Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Update Controller Firmware

I have a Duet Controller purchased on eBay that I would like to use to replace my current Controller. But the firmware is old, and the update won't go through. It starts downloading and stalls after 5% or so, then times out. Does anybody know what might be causing this?

Also, isn't there a way to install the firmware update using an SD card? Are there instructions for this somewhere, or does somebody know how to do it? And where would I get the update file?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dpotts View Post
    I have a Duet Controller purchased on eBay that I would like to use to replace my current Controller. But the firmware is old, and the update won't go through. It starts downloading and stalls after 5% or so, then times out. Does anybody know what might be causing this?

Also, isn't there a way to install the firmware update using an SD card? Are there instructions for this somewhere, or does somebody know how to do it? And where would I get the update file?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!
    I recall one puts the firmware on an SD card and inserts it in the battery compartment. You can see slot after removing battery.

I’m away from computer to search but firmware is on the web. Hopefully someone can chime in.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I recall one puts the firmware on an SD card and inserts it in the battery compartment. You can see slot after removing battery.

Iĺm away from computer to search but firmware is on the web. Hopefully someone can chime in.
    Thanks for the quick response! Here is a thread about it from six years ago (initiated by yourself, actually).

That thread contains a link to the firmware files.

So I downloaded jive_7.8.0_r16739.bin to my computer and transferred it to an SD card. Put the card in the Controller, fire up the Controller, and initiate the update. But it still tries to download (and still fails).

What more do I need to do? What I'm using is actually a microSD card in a caddy. Maybe the controller can't handle that? I'm not sure what the file system is, but the card works in both my Android phone and Windows 10. Also, the earlier thread makes reference to a .version file, which I didn't copy. I'll try that now, but something tells me the Controller is just not recognizing or looking at the SD card. I think if it sees the SD card, there should be some indication that it's trying to access it.

The Wiki used to have instructions for how to do this, but they seem to be gone.

Not at home to check, but vaguely recall that there is some setting menu item in the controller to turn on the SD card reader. Not sure.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Not at home to check, but vaguely recall that there is some setting menu item in the controller to turn on the SD card reader. Not sure.
    Using an older, true SD card (only 16GB!) did the trick. Then when I selected Software Update, the .bin file on the SD card appeared as one of the options. (The .version "file" turned out not to be a file, and wasn't needed.)

So now the firmware update is done. But the Controller won't connect to LMS nor to MySqueezebox.com. It says to make sure LMS is running and the computer is connected to the network. From past experience, I suspect the Receiver needs to be reset. But any further advice would be welcome. Thanks again for responding.

Update: I did try to reset the Receiver, but that was probably a mistake. It wouldn't reset (kept slow flashing red and would not appear on the Controller). I reset the Controller to factory settings—which no doubt is what I should have done to begin with—reentered network password, at which point the Receiver appeared as something I could connect to. Selected it, and the rest was done automatically.
    Last edited by dpotts; 2021-06-12 at 19:50.

Glad it worked out.