Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    396

    piCorePlayer 7 on Audiophonics EVO-SABRE Balanced DAC 2xES9038Q2M

    I've been looking for a more upto date replacement for my Transformer, and settled on Evo-Sabre DAC from Audiophonics. It's a really nice device, and with a second OLED for displaying track etc. information.

    Audiophonics provide a dietPi image with a custom Python script for this second screen and lirc settings for the remote. However, I run PCP everywhere else, so wanted to get PCP running. It took a little work and involved

    Building a custom tcz for all of the Python 3 modules
    Updating the scripts to Python 3
    Updating the lirc settings to use the native Squeezelite lirc support (vs an old expect script)
    Update the script to pick up the MAC address automatically, and take the LMS IP as a parameter

    The steps (ignoring the backups and reboots) are something like

    Install standard extensions
    freetype.tcz
    python3.8.tcz
    iproute2.tcz

    Install custom extension
    evosabre-py38-deps.tcz

    Copy the custom .py and fonts sub directory to /home/tc

    Configure squeezelite in pcp
    Set Card to Audiophonics ISabre Q2M
    Disable onboard audio
    Set ALSA Volume Control to Digital

    User Command to python3 /home/tc/lms_oled_3.12_py3.py LMSIPAddress

    gpio-shutdown : Yes, GPIO-17, Active Low, Pull Up

    Install LIRC
    GPIO : 4
    Upload custom lircd.conf and .lircrc

    If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll post all the files. By default, the Audiophonics setup uses a full Simplified Chinese font for album titles - i.e. it's a font with all languages in there, including simplified chinese - so it's large and take a while to load when you start the script. I can understand why they did this - some people will obviously want track titles in chinese, but I created a everything except chinese version, which is about 1% of the size, so unless you want the large one, I'll likely post the short one.

    pete S

  2. #2
    Senior Member Greg Erskine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,350
    That sounds like a lot of work!

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    396
    Firstly, as with all these things, I always start - erm - blatantly copying and learning from others. On that note, I'd like to call out the great work done by gregex here , who got a lot of this going to the raspdac mini.

    Then, you know the way of it - once I start on something, I find it hard to put down until it's done. So, kept chipping away at it until it was working well...

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    396
    I've been continuing to fiddle around with this, and have it pretty much finished now. I've updated the script quite a bit to make it more native to LMS (e.g. reading the track info from LMS vs. from ALSA as it was before), reading all the info from LMS in one go rather than loads of separate calls, pick up if volume is 100% and if so, don't show it, made some of the other calls more native etc.

    I'd like to thank @Steve Agnew for his help testing things and tidying up the readme I created. If be happy to share the files with anyone that wants them. All in all, I'm really happy with the DAC now and I think it's a good high-er end addition to the family.

    pete S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •