Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: No Audio output

No Audio output

Hello,
    I am running LMS and squeezelite on proxmox and no matter which device I pick I cant get sound output to 3.5 audio headset.

I tried following but getting no sound output- when I go to LMS and select player and try to play radio stream.

# /usr/bin/squeezelite -o sysdefault:CARD=PCH -s 192.168.1.200 -n player

Output devices:
    null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    jack - JACK Audio Connection Kit
    pulse - PulseAudio Sound Server
    hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0 - HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=1 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1 - HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=2 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2 - HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 3 - HDMI Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=4 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 4 - HDMI Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0 - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=7 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1 - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=8 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2 - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=9 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 3 - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=10 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 4 - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0 - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=HDMI,DEV=7 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1 - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=HDMI,DEV=8 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2 - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=HDMI,DEV=9 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 3 - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=HDMI,DEV=10 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 4 - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=7 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=8 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=9 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 3 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=10 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 4 - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 0 - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=7 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 1 - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=8 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 2 - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=9 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 3 - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=10 - HDA Intel HDMI, HDMI 4 - Hardware device with all software conversions
    usbstream:CARD=HDMI - HDA Intel HDMI - USB Stream Output
    default:CARD=PCH - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - Default Audio Device
    sysdefault:CARD=PCH - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - Default Audio Device
    front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - Front speakers
    surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
    surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Digital - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - Direct sample mixing device
    dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=1 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Digital - Direct sample mixing device
    dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - Direct sample snooping device
    dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=1 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Digital - Direct sample snooping device
    hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Digital - Direct hardware device without any conversions
    plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog - Hardware device with all software conversions
    plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1 - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Digital - Hardware device with all software conversions
    usbstream:CARD=PCH - HDA Intel PCH - USB Stream Output

Just a guess, try

using

sysdefault:CARD=PCH - HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog

or try this output

plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0

You don't say which computer you are using, but if a raspberry pi, try adding

-a :::0

to the squeezelite line

Edit: how did you install squeezelite ? Are you using the settings at /etc/default/squeezelite to set the paramaters ?

ronnie

extra thought edit: did you

Code:
    sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/squeezelite
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2021-06-07 at 03:24. Reason: ask extra questio

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Just a guess, try

using

or try this output

You don't say which computer you are using, but if a raspberry pi, try adding

to the squeezelite line

Edit: how did you install squeezelite ? Are you using the settings at /etc/default/squeezelite to set the paramaters ?

ronnie

extra thought edit: did you

Code:

Hi,

I am running or trying squeezelite and LMS on two different devices the output log i posted is from zotac mini pc and I also have lenovo ThinkCentre M73 and I tried to use both outputs as you said but still no sound also following output gives error

I tried to install with apt-get install also downloaded squeezelite and tried to run ./squeezelite but same results.

Thank you

Try this on the Lenovo ThinkCentre M73

From the wiki
    Proxmox Virtual Environment (Proxmox VE; short PVE) is an open-source server virtualization management platform. It is a Debian-based Linux distribution with a modified Ubuntu LTS kernel[3] and allows deployment and management of virtual machines and containers.
    I know nothing about this sort of thing, but if I was to try to install LMS and squeezelite, this is what I would do.

Remove / purge any squeezelite and LMS (including prefs and favourites)

First LMS, install v8.2.0

wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...3602_amd64.deb

install it with

sudo apt install ./logitechmediaserver_8.2.0~1622353602_amd64.deb

Just configure, say, Radio Paradise

Then install squeezelite with

Code:
    sudo apt install squeezelite
    run either

Code:
    squeezelite -l
    or

Code:
    aplay -L
    this will give you the list (as you have previously posted) select the one that corresponds to the 3.5mm jack (headphones, I guess, sysdefault:CARD=PCH)

In a terminal type alsamixer

press the F6 key on the keyboard

select HDA Intel ( or headphones if shown, not the HDMI)

adjust the volume for headphones (you might have to press m to unmute)

press escape, type sudo alsactl store

run either

squeezelite -l

or

aplay -L

make a note of your default device

go to sudo nano /etc/default/squeezelite

and edit the config file at the three lines, this is mine (if you want to use one LMS for both devices, don't add the Ip address at line two, let the auto-discover work its magic

Name:  squeezelite.png
Views: 137
Size:  41.5 KB

save and exit [ Ctrl+x, Y, Enter ]

run sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite restart

If that works, come back and I'll give you the command to update squeezelite.

Installing squeezelite this way means it will start when you boot up (if you want to use the output for another player add [ -C 10 ] to the Extra_Args line in the config file

ronnie

Try this on the Lenovo ThinkCentre M73

From the wiki

I know nothing about this sort of thing, but if I was to try to install LMS and squeezelite, this is what I would do.

Remove / purge any squeezelite and LMS (including prefs and favourites)

First LMS, install v8.2.0

wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...3602_amd64.deb

install it with

sudo apt install ./logitechmediaserver_8.2.0~1622353602_amd64.deb

Just configure, say, Radio Paradise

Code:
    run either

Code:
    squeezelite -l
    or

Code:
    aplay -L
    this will give you the list (as you have previously posted) select the one that corresponds to the 3.5mm jack (headphones, I guess, sysdefault:CARD=PCH)

In a terminal type alsamixer

press the F6 key on the keyboard

select HDA Intel ( or headphones if shown, not the HDMI)

adjust the volume for headphones (you might have to press m to unmute)

press escape, type sudo alsactl store

run either

squeezelite -l

or

aplay -L

make a note of your default device

go to sudo nano /etc/default/squeezelite

and edit the config file at the three lines, this is mine (if you want to use one LMS for both devices, don't add the Ip address at line two, let the auto-discover work its magic

Name:  squeezelite.png
Views: 137
Size:  41.5 KB

save and exit [ Ctrl+x, Y, Enter ]

run sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite restart

If that works, come back and I'll give you the command to update squeezelite.

Installing squeezelite this way means it will start when you boot up (if you want to use the output for another player add [ -C 10 ] to the Extra_Args line in the config file

ronnie
    Thank you so much... it worked on zotac mini PC ( will test on Lenovo PC soon )all I did used your command to save "alsactl store" (Proxmox does not need sudo) command as I did not about it after selecting HDA intel how to save settings.

You have no idea how much time i wasted to make it work.

Now how to update squeezelite ?
    Last edited by onlinegill; 2021-06-07 at 17:55.

@onlinegill

This is what I do, and is based on installing Squeezelite by

Code:
    If you install just by wget and dpkg then I guess the first and last lines (sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite stop / start) are not required.

Squeezelite is maintained by Ralphy at

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...s/squeezelite/

go to the Linux folder and select the appropiate version required, in this case, this is what I use for Linux Mint

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ar.gz/download

copy the download link and insert into the following script, delete "/download"

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite stop
    wget -O squeezelite.tgz https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezelite/linux/squeezelite-1.9.9.1386-x86_64.tar.gz
    sudo tar -C /usr/bin -zxvf squeezelite.tgz
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite start
    #If running with no sound, repeat

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite restart
    I have done this a few times now, and do it whilst listening to the player on headphones, I post it all in one block.

Your milage/kilometers may vary.

Check the player version of squeezelite before and after at LMS Settings > Information > scroll down to the player info.

You can update, as and when, by repeating the procedure and changing the version number

I hope this is usefull

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2021-06-08 at 01:23.

@onlinegill

Code:
    If you install just by wget and dpkg then I guess the first and last lines (sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite stop / start) are not required.

go to the Linux folder and select the appropiate version required, in this case, this is what I use for Linux Mint

Code:
    wget -O squeezelite.tgz https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezelite/linux/squeezelite-1.9.9.1386-x86_64.tar.gz

Code:
    I have done this a few times now, and do it whilst listening to the player on headphones, I post it all in one block.

Check the player version of squeezelite before and after at LMS Settings > Information > scroll down to the player info.

You can update, as and when, by repeating the procedure and changing the version number

I hope this is usefull

ronnie
    Thank you

Player Model: SqueezeLite

Player Type: squeezelite

Firmware: v1.9.9-1386

@onlinegill

Code:

Code:

Code:

I hope this is usefull

ronnie
    Ok I tried on Lenovo think Centre M73 Tiny PC but does not matter which sound card i pick audio only comes through internal speaker not audio ( headphone jack )

Name:  card1.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  160.8 KB

Name:  audio.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  96.0 KB

If you have added

to SB_EXTRA_ARGS

try commenting out the line or remove the argument, save, exit and restart squeezelite.

I think there are only four lines to try

default:CARD=PCH
    sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by onlinegill View Post
    Ok I tried on Lenovo think Centre M73 Tiny PC but does not matter which sound card i pick audio only comes through internal speaker not audio ( headphone jack )
    Which ALSA device are you using for internal speaker and which for headphone ?

before trying squeezelite, prove they work using for example aplay and a WAV file.

Some system they are the same just depends on whats plugged in and then it detects from the socket whether output is 2 ,2.1 5.1 etc.

Also I note you have Jack and Pulseaudio running - these can complicate ALSA access if another application is using same output via Pulse/Jack.