Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Some mp's won't play, no mp4's will play so I thinking about flac...
    I run a stock install of LMS 8.2 on Win 7 x86 and my library consists of FLAC, MP3, MP4, and a few Ogg. They all play and display as expected. As mentioned above, you need to have clean, clearly organized tags for LMS database to function properly. Use Mp3tag to clean up your tags, do a full library rebuild, and things should be better. No need to convert lossy to FLAC; that just wastes space.

My tags are ALL CAPS. I don't think it matters to LMS:

Its not clear what level the OP is at but its probably worth stating that the tags are used at scan time to populate the LMS database. Everything that you put into the tags finds its way into the database but LMS does not generally use them otherwise. There are exceptions but rare in normal use.

To understand how the database works. Stop LMS. Copy library.db that you will find in the cache folder to your desktop. Use SQLiteBroswer to look at the structure of the database tables. - https://sqlitebrowser.org/

The key ones are
    albums
    tracks
    contributors

They are all linked together but most interestingly is there is no artist or albumartist tables. They are all different types of contributors.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Although you shouldn't have problems with mp3 flies playing either. Are your audio files properly tagged? LMS uses tags to build the database.

Robert
    I think it's hit and miss that is why I mentioned having to figure out the metadata. I have files going back to about 1998 that came from an old player called Rio and other places I can't even remember.

I found software last night that converts from mp3 to flac and it can add metadata at the same time. The automatic metadata lookup function did not work but it was late so will try again tonight. But it still converted the file and then LMS would play the file so at least I am getting somewhere now.... baby steps..

I think it's hit and miss that is why I mentioned having to figure out the metadata. I have files going back to about 1998 that came from an old player called Rio and other places I can't even remember.

I found software last night that converts from mp3 to flac and it can add metadata at the same time. The automatic metadata lookup function did not work but it was late so will try again tonight. But it still converted the file and then LMS would play the file so at least I am getting somewhere now.... baby steps..
    You do realise that converting from mp3 to FLAC is pointless? Mp3 is lossy and converting to a lossless format like FLAC will not improve the sound. Unless you have the original source CD to re-rip from there is no point. You may as well just keep the files as mp3. LMS will read them fine (if they are tagged properly) and will play them at their original resolution.
    If you have the source CD re-rip to FLAC is definitely the way to go.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

128 Kbps MP3 = Low Quality Sound
    320 Kbps MP3 = Near CD Quality Sound
    16/44.1 FLAC = CD Quality Sound
    24/96 & 24/192 FLAC = Above CD Quality Sound

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I think the general consensus is that FLAC is the best format for LMS.

IMO the best Windows tools for the job are dbPoweramp (the paid version) as it provides the CD ripping plus good access to the various online databases for automatic tagging but always check what it pulls down and mp3tag for post ripping tag correction. dbPoweramp also contains good format conversion tools.

Tip.
    Spend some time setting up dbPoweramp.
    Use mostly the defaults but pay particular attention to
    1) file naming conventions - as example I tag file names Artist\Album\1_01_Trackname.flac where the first 1 is disc nuber and 01 is tracknumber
    2) replay gain - you can set up dbPoweramp to apply replay gain at ripping stage - there are two options to apply tags, and to apply gain. Everyone I know uses the former which just applies additional tags. The latter is a permanent adjustment to volume levels.

If you are a Linux or Mac person I'm sure someone else will have the correct advice.

Edit. With Flac it really isn't necessary to embed cover art into each file. Instead set dbPoweramp up to place the cover art into the directory as "folder.jpg".
    Will take a look at that one and see how it compares. What I was using last night is called freac. I don't know much about it other than it worked enough to get LMS to recognize the files and let them play.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    You do realise that converting from mp3 to FLAC is pointless? Mp3 is lossy and converting to a lossless format like FLAC will not improve the sound. Unless you have the original source CD to re-rip from there is no point. You may as well just keep the files as mp3. LMS will read them fine (if they are tagged properly) and will play them at their original resolution.
    If you have the source CD re-rip to FLAC is definitely the way to go.
    Yes I realize "gigo" but since I am going to have to go to the trouble of tagging them, I wanted a format that should play on anything in the future. I also have another system that is basically a knock off of LMS and it is even more picky than lms and know it likes flac.

I am still trying to figure all of this out because in the past , the players (mostly vlc) I used didn't need to be tagged in order to play the file, I will look at the one you mentioned tonight and see how it compares.

Thanks

need to be tagged in order to play the file
    Technically, LMS can play files that are not tagged using navigation by "Music Folder":

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I just checked mine and the replaygain tags are lower case for FLAC files as well as for MP3.
    Thank you! I only think it is strange that they are lowercase and all other tags are uppercase. I know they are working both.
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Yes I realize "gigo" but since I am going to have to go to the trouble of tagging them, I wanted a format that should play on anything in the future. I also have another system that is basically a knock off of LMS and it is even more picky than lms and know it likes flac.

I am still trying to figure all of this out because in the past , the players (mostly vlc) I used didn't need to be tagged in order to play the file, I will look at the one you mentioned tonight and see how it compares.

Thanks
    As @Apesbrain has pointed out, you could completely remove all tags from your files (as I have done in the test album below, I just kept the album art), and you can play them by browsing to the files using "Music Folder". LMS then uses "Guess Tags" from the file name/folder structure.

Name:  DC04.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  DC01.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  DC02.jpg
Size:  8.3 KB

Name:  DC05.jpg
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  DC03.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  58.0 KB

If you change any tags in your files, you need to do a "Clear & rescan" then you can browse your library by Artist, Album, Genre, Year, etc...
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi