Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tips to get flacs to show up in db?

I am trying to figure out a universal format that LMS and my media players will support. Some mp's won't play, no mp4's will play so I thinking about flac

I just made my first conversion to flac as a test but it doesn't show up in lms after doing a rescan. The extension is .flac What does it need to be so lms can see it?

And do you think flac is the best universal format to use?

Thanks.

Ok I can see it via music folder and it is working so that is good.

But I would still appreciate advise if flac is the best universal format?

I see it mentioned a lot on some of the audio forums.....

Thanks..

You don't say what you're running LMS on, but you might check file permissions. Also have you checked the tags on your music files.
    I think flac is the ideal format for LMS.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    You don't say what you're running LMS on, but you might check file permissions. Also have you checked the tags on your music files.
    I think flac is the ideal format for LMS.

Robert
    I did a clear library/scan and that made it show up like it should.

Ok thanks for that ..flac it is. So far I have converted a few mp4's and now they play fine. Just need to learn the metadata side of things and I should be good.

Thanks..

Although you shouldn't have problems with mp3 flies playing either. Are your audio files properly tagged? LMS uses tags to build the database.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

I think the general consensus is that FLAC is the best format for LMS.

IMO the best Windows tools for the job are dbPoweramp (the paid version) as it provides the CD ripping plus good access to the various online databases for automatic tagging but always check what it pulls down and mp3tag for post ripping tag correction. dbPoweramp also contains good format conversion tools.

Tip.
    Spend some time setting up dbPoweramp.
    Use mostly the defaults but pay particular attention to
    1) file naming conventions - as example I tag file names Artist\Album\1_01_Trackname.flac where the first 1 is disc nuber and 01 is tracknumber
    2) replay gain - you can set up dbPoweramp to apply replay gain at ripping stage - there are two options to apply tags, and to apply gain. Everyone I know uses the former which just applies additional tags. The latter is a permanent adjustment to volume levels.

If you are a Linux or Mac person I'm sure someone else will have the correct advice.

Edit. With Flac it really isn't necessary to embed cover art into each file. Instead set dbPoweramp up to place the cover art into the directory as "folder.jpg".
    Last edited by d6jg; 2021-06-09 at 01:18.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    2) replay gain - you can set up dbPoweramp to apply replay gain at ripping stage - there are two options to apply tags, and to apply gain. Everyone I know uses the former which just applies additional tags. The latter is a permanent adjustment to volume levels.
    Is it normal that dbPoweramp uses lowercase Tags (for the tagnames itself eg: replaygain_album_gain) for Replay Gain in MP3 files? Not like all other tags that are uppercase.

With Flac it really isn't necessary to embed cover art into each file. Instead set dbPoweramp up to place the cover art into the directory as "folder.jpg".
    But if you pull out a file from it's folder you don't have a cover anymore. :-)
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    Is it normal that dbPoweramp uses lowercase Tags (for the tagnames itself eg: replaygain_album_gain) for Replay Gain in MP3 files? Not like all other tags that are uppercase.
    Not sure. I don't have many MP3s these days. Its definitely upper case in the case of FLACs but I think LMS will read them whether uppercase or lowercase.

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    But if you pull out a file from it's folder you don't have a cover anymore. :-)
    That is true. If you need cover art for that reason then yes I'd embed - these days I'd go for at least 800x800. Album Art Exchange is a good online resource for high quality cover art.

To apply replay gain tags to stuff that has already been ripped - Foobar2000 is a great free tool.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

These days I'd go for at least 800x800. Album Art Exchange is a good online resource for high quality cover art.
    I am using 600x600 and they look great on every device I am using LMS/Material skin.
    On Mac the best application for handling cover art is Yate (in my opinion). You can get them from Discogs or MusicBrainz there and you can size them nearly automatic to the correct size. You can add transparent borders for not square covers etc.
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Not sure. I don't have many MP3s these days. Its definitely upper case in the case of FLACs but I think LMS will read them whether uppercase or lowercase.

That is true. If you need cover art for that reason then yes I'd embed - these days I'd go for at least 800x800. Album Art Exchange is a good online resource for high quality cover art.

To apply replay gain tags to stuff that has already been ripped - Foobar2000 is a great free tool.
    I just checked mine and the replaygain tags are lower case for FLAC files as well as for MP3.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk