Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay, I've had enough of Win 10!

In a previous thread I started (Raspberry Pi Basics, https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...erry-Pi-basics), I asked for help in getting set up on an RPi4. The help was prodigious, 18 pages worth, and invaluable in getting my Pi4 up and running.

But once it was all done, I dithered over whether to go all in with the RPi, or upgrade my old and venerable FitPC-3 to Win10. It had done years of great service running Win7 and LMS, but with lack of support for that OS and the related security issues it was time o move on. Abandon it altogether for the rPi or try an upgrade to W10?

I elected the latter. This is on the edge of what the Fit3 can handle, but it works and is familiar. But today I've had enough. Yet another W10 upgrade shut the system down, requiring manual intervention. Far too often I've had to engage with the system, when what I really want is something that runs reliably with only very occasional need for intervention.

So it's back to the RPi.

As noted, I had the RPi4 set up and running with the rest of the system. This includes an external USB drive with the music, the Pi configured as headless, file structures set up for remote read/write, etc. But it's been some months, and I've lost much of the plot. I need just a bit of help.

It would be very helpful to get a quick refresher on the steps to getting things set up with the RPi. It is set up with PiCore as the OS, and as noted was working well with my setup.

Thanks for any help.

Ron
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Install Ubuntu or Mint on the Fit. Some learning curve but you may find it more user friendly than Windows.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1614639334 @ Tue Mar 2 00:11:57 CET 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.067
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

You already had it setup with an attached USB drive. Isn't it just a matter of applying power to the rPi (while ethernet connected and with USB drive connected). Once you do that, you'll get back to the rPi webGUI (the IP address of the rPi). And if you had set LMS to start automatically (you probably did), LMS should also be running (rPi IP address ending with ":9000") and allow you to connect your players to that instance of LMS.

Or maybe I'm missing the point as to where you are in the process and which part you need a refresher on.....
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    Install Ubuntu or Mint on the Fit. Some learning curve but you may find it more user friendly than Windows.
    Deffo use Mint , there is a learning curve, but plenty of support on t'internet

ronnie

If you want support and lots of it go Pi4 and piCoreplayer / LMS - it is fast becoming the defacto installation.

If you want to learn go Mint (or some other Linux)
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post

It would be very helpful to get a quick refresher on the steps to getting things set up with the RPi. It is set up with PiCore as the OS, and as noted was working well with my setup.

Ron
    I remember your initial trial...

"steps" can be general or detailed, but I thought @kidstypike did a great summary helping another pCP startup here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1019719

After following this, you should have pCP running with an external drive. From your request it looks like you them want to add Samba for file transfer/visibility which is covered in the pCP "how to" documentation: https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/ Understand that pCP is continually being improved by the team (bless them), so the documentation may not look exactly like the screenshots, and the semantics might be a bit different, but in general everything is there.

Common tripping points are to forget to resize the file system, and duplicating exact syntax (case sensitive) of labels you created (Server Name, etc)

I suggest that you just dive right in, I'm sure you will recall, it wasn't that long ago 'eh?

Jim

I am also a windows 10 user and know nothing about Linux. I followed the instructions listed here:
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/

As a prior post mentioned, be careful about syntax and case matters. If you use Ethernet connection to the router you can ignore the WiFi setup. Another tip is if you log into your main router to find the assigned IP address for the Pi.

I have been happy with PCP. I use my windows 10 machine to manage files on the USB connected drive to the pi. I also use it as an on-site backup too.

Good luck.

Paul

If running lms, best is to use wired network.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    A bit OT, but in 2006 I wrote a how-to migrate. Maybe it can inspire? https://www.cfuttrup.com/zenwalk.html - some software is outdated (replaced by new and better)...

/Claus

Hey Your voice has been heard OP:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ows-10-support. LOL
    Living Room: Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng/Material Skin
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz