Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    I have one of the new Allo Boss2 Players, which comes with a DAC HAT- is PiCore still compatible ?
    I only run LMS, so not my wheelhouse, but in checking the squeezlite audio settings in pcP7, maybe this will help?
    Name:  2021-06-07 21_13_57-pCP - Squeezelite Settings.png
Views: 268
Size:  80.2 KB

Jim

I have one of the new Allo Boss2 Players, which comes with a DAC HAT- is PiCore still compatible ?
    Is it the aluminium (blue) one with a screen?
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Is it the aluminium (blue) one with a screen?
    Yes. It's nicer looking than the pictures. Post any questions.
    Living Room: Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng/Material Skin
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

Yes. It's nicer looking than the pictures. Post any questions.
    Is it working as a Squeezebox player out of the box?
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

I've tried them all. The MPD-based distros are quite pointless, IMO, if you want to set up multi-room. For touchscreens, they require the bloated chromium-browser, slow and fat, vs the uber-lightweight and fast Jivelite/piCorePlayer. The UIs on Volumio and the other MPD-based distros are ugly, outdated and poorly designed IMO, compared to the Material Skin and Jivelite. They waste an incredible amount of screen space with those two circular controls, both of which should be simple lines, which would give room for much larger album art.

Ideally, you'll run LMS on a Pi4, then your renderers can all be Pi Zeros running piCorePlayer, with USB to an external DAC/dongle, or using the Justboom Digi Zero for optical/coaxial outputs.

I run piCorePlayer on my Pi4 LMS server, with the Material Skin for control, and small touchscreen displays running piCorePlayer and Jivelite for always-on visibility of the playing track.
    Last edited by chicks; 2021-06-08 at 08:11.

+1 on PiCorePlayer, it's great. But for what it's worth, if you have any other uses for a particular Pi, it's pretty simple to run Squeezelite alongside whatever else you're doing, on a more general purpose distro like Raspberry Pi OS (previously "Raspbian"). I do this on my Pi 2 that serves as the house's ad blocker (Pi-Hole).

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Is it working as a Squeezebox player out of the box?
    Not with MoOde. See my post above- with MoOde, Squeezelite works out of the box with a few clicks, but when I asked about LMS i was told that trying was "pointless". These might also be available with Diet Pi preloaded I think, not sure if that's out of the box for LMS.
    Living Room: Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by chicks View Post
    The UIs on Volumio and the other MPD-based distros are ugly, outdated and poorly designed IMO, compared to the Material Skin and Jivelite. They waste an incredible amount of screen space with those two circular controls, both of which should be simple lines, which would give room for much larger album art.
    I actually like the design of Volumio, with those dials. It's perfectly sized and designed for mid-size (7 inch) touchscreens, though indeed rather useless on smaller or larger screens. But I agree that Material skin offers much better usability on any screen size. And although I do like the gimmick of the VU-meters in JiveLite, I find that the rest of the interface looks a bit outdated.

In the end it's all a matter of taste and personal choice of course, but I'm quite happy with the PcP/Material combination. Fully synchronised multi-room just rocks, with non-proprietary, full ownership as a nice cherry on the pi.

Yes, it is. pCP7 has a slight issue with the audio output for this dac, but it's easy to override the default setting on the squeezelite page.

The screen and touch screen are a bit different. But there is an extension with pCP versions of the allo screen and remote control program. The extension is allo_boss2_oled.tcz

That can be installed from the extension page.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thanks.