Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which operating system for Raspberry Pi ?

It seems that there are several options to use for an OS on a Raspberry Pi in order to get Squeezelite and LMS running, such as Max2Play, Volumio, PiCore Player, Diet Pi, Moode*, etc.

I want to have the LMS server operating on the Pi. What's the most user friendly solution for this purpose?

*FYI when I asked a question about LMS on the Moode Forum I got this response from a moderator, then the thread was locked:

"This is really a pointless thread because if you are going to just run the LMS/Squeezelite solution on the Pi then use one of the dedicated players like PiCorePlayer and get support on their nice Forum."
    Living Room: Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng/Material Skin
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

piCorePlayer is very good, super easy to install and use, and well supported here on the forum. I highly recommend it.
    https://www.picoreplayer.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    It seems that there are several options to use for an OS on a Raspberry Pi in order to get Squeezelite and LMS running, such as Max2Play, Volumio, PiCore Player, Diet Pi, Moode*, etc.

I want to have the LMS server operating on the Pi. What's the most user friendly solution for this purpose?

*FYI when I asked a question about LMS on the Moode Forum I got this response from a moderator, then the thread was locked:

"This is really a pointless thread because if you are going to just run the LMS/Squeezelite solution on the Pi then use one of the dedicated players like PiCorePlayer and get support on their nice Forum."
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    piCorePlayer is very good, super easy to install and use, and well supported here on the forum. I highly recommend it.
    https://www.picoreplayer.org/
    +1

while I have not tried any of the other options (so I am biased ), and I run LMS only (no player) when moved from LMS on windows 10 to pCP (on a pi 3b+, I think pcP 5 or 6) it could not have been easier, UI and options are quite nice and easy to understand, and all versions I have run have been as stable as a rock. In addition to the support Gary mentions, the team keeps adding more and more cool functions (e.g. pCP 7 you can create an image of your SD for backup - no card removal necessary).

I have since deployed a few servers for friends, and even to "non techies" without fear...

Jim

We are spoilt by choice. I think its a matter of "Which one suits you the best?"

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    +1
    Same here. PiCorePlayer with LMS, but using Material skin for the LMS interface.

Also tried Max2Play and Volumio. Don't remember why I discarded the Max2Play option, but with Volumio it seemed obvious that it doesn't add any value when you use it with LMS. Volumio has a nice slick interface for a standalone player but it doesn't control LMS, so if you want to do multi-room (for which LMS seems to be the only functioning and non-proprietary option - please correct me if I'm wrong) Volumio doesn't add much..

I initially used PiCorePlayer and found it to be an excellent platform for LMS. However, in addition to LMS, I wanted to install other servers (Plex, Mymedia, Mediaserver) on my Rpi4 so I converted to Raspberry OS (formerly Raspian). This OS is very easy to install following the instructions on the Raspberry site and with a bit of Linux knowledge installing LMS is trivial. In summary, if you want plug-and-play go with PiCorePlayer, otherwise consider Raspberry OS for flexibility.

I have one of the new Allo Boss2 Players, which comes with a DAC HAT- is PiCore still compatible ?
    Living Room: Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by Fahzz View Post
    I have one of the new Allo Boss2 Players, which comes with a DAC HAT- is PiCore still compatible ?
    I can't speak to that particular DAC HAT, but piCorePlayer is compatible with many, many DAC HATs.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

I'd echo everyone else's comments really. If you just want squeezelite and LMS, then pcp is the only way to go. I'm upto 7 pcp players and one LMS on a mixture of pi2, 3, and 4 with a variety of hats and just got https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netwo...4-p-14639.html from audiophonics, which is fab. Had to spend a few hours getting pcp running on that as well as it didn't support the second screen out of the box.

If you need a more general OS, I like dietpi. It's much lighter that raspberry os, but really easy to add extras (including lms and pcp of course). I moved my general purpose pi over to dietpi from raspberry os as it had a prebuilt and maintained version of everything want, including pi-hole and been very happy with it.

Thanks everybody. I'll give Picore Player a try.