Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: DIY Preamp

DIY Preamp

Hello,
    My homeoffice amp needs replacement and while I have a candidate, Marantz PM6007, I would like something smaller with a class-d power part (the room is warm enough as is), the Cyrus One would fit IF it had line/tape out instead of preout. There are other suitable solutions but they are waaay above what I can spend.
    After much searching for a ready made solution I started thinking about building something myself. The poweramp bit seems very straight forward, there are kits from both icepower and hypex where you pretty much just attach the cables and stick it in a box. The preamp seems to be a bit harder, all the kits or instructions I can find are either very simple passive solutions that doesn't seem to fit my needs or lean to the more exotic with tubes etc and tend to get expensive.
    What I want is at least three line in, one out, and a pre out for the separate poweramp. No need for a remote or anything like that, input selector and volume will do the trick. Has anyone here built something like this or have some pointers to where I might find a good kit or instructions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by v2k; 2021-06-07 at 10:50.

My build used a bunch of Amazon, Ebay, and Aliexpress parts and designs.

I use this 6-channel select for my inputs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Output from the selector goes to the tone control: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From the tone/preamp stage, it feeds into a set of LM3886 boards (3 chips per channel) for my power amp stage.

I do have a RIAA Preamp for the Turn Table input. It's simply between the RCA connection and the selector board as input 1.

The tone control board could probably run passive and work just fine. I should try it to see.

Depending on your plans for power, LM1875, LM3886, TDA7293, or TDA7294 chipamp kits would work too if you didn't want to go Class D.

And after writing all that, I see you want a "Tape Out" type function. That's something this doesn't have....but maybe it'll help anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneC80 View Post
    And after writing all that, I see you want a "Tape Out" type function. That's something this doesn't have....but maybe it'll help anyway.
    I does, thanks! After looking some schematics a "tape out" doesn't seem to be more than tapping the signal before it goes through the volume control, but as much sense as that makes I'm still not a 100% so more research will be done.