Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Remotes suddenly not working on either Squeezeboxes

Hi all

This morning (I am in Denmark) I encountered a strange problem. I have 2 Touches and 1 Boom connected at the moment. I have two remotes. This morning I did what I always do, picked up my remote and turned on my kitchen-Touch. Nothing happened. The device did not react at all. That was strange. I changed the batteries, which did not help. I picked up my other remote from the living room, but that had no effect either. I then tried both remotes on my bedroom-Boom, but that has no effect either. I can turn both devices on manually and through the app Squeezer.

By why has my physical remotes suddenly stopped working?

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post

Yes, I did try that, but it does not seem to work on these Squeezebox remotes. I have tried on other remotes, and there I can see the signal through the camera of the phone. It seems unlikely though, that both remotes should stop working overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by lnrvdk View Post
    Yes, I did try that, but it does not seem to work on these Squeezebox remotes. I have tried on other remotes, and there I can see the signal through the camera of the phone. It seems unlikely though, that both remotes should stop working overnight.
    I have 5 Squeezebox remotes here (2 Touch, 2 Classic & 1 Boom), all show that they're working using the camera trick.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by lnrvdk View Post
    By why has my physical remotes suddenly stopped working?

Except for volume, remote control signals (lower level slimproto messages than control from Squeezer) are handled by LMS - so restarting LMS is a good idea since it is common to both systems.

Besides batteries, Boom & Touch and remote are all now a bit old and can have hardware problems - usual ones:
    - Failure of IR receiver on Touch
    - Dry solder joints in remotes

New button batteries for Slim (e.g. Boom) remote can be unreliable and not always "fresh" even though recently bought.

Odd that problem happens to both at once but usual use was probably on or two presses - trying to find/fix problem has meant lots of button presses in short period and so may have aggravated problems (e.g. weak batteries, mechanical failure of solder joints))

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Except for volume, remote control signals (lower level slimproto messages than control from Squeezer) are handled by LMS - so restarting LMS is a good idea since it is common to both systems.

Besides batteries, Boom & Touch and remote are all now a bit old and can have hardware problems - usual ones:
    - Failure of IR receiver on Touch
    - Dry solder joints in remotes

New button batteries for Slim (e.g. Boom) remote can be unreliable and not always "fresh" even though recently bought.

Odd that problem happens to both at once but usual use was probably on or two presses - trying to find/fix problem has meant lots of button presses in short period and so may have aggravated problems (e.g. weak batteries, mechanical failure of solder joints))

I think you are right, bpa. I just gave one of the remotes a good massage, and now it seems to work again. The other one is dead :-( I will try to find a how-to-guide later, at then I will try to take it apart at have a look at it.

Thank you all for suggestions :-)