Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Changing WLAN Password in Squeezebox Touch / Radio

I had my Squeezebox Touch (as well as my SB Radio) connected via WLAN before. Worked fine.
    Last months I had them connected via ethernet, Worked fine too.
    Now I want to connect them via WLAN again (using in the garden) - and connection fails. (on Touch as well as on Radio)
    They recognize the right WLAN-network, try to connect - and fail.
    I guess it's for I changed the WLAN password some months ago - but I don't have any chance to type in the new password or to delete the WLAN-network to get asked about the password again.
    Any ideas? Don't wanna do a hard factory reset (especially not on the radio for the patches to use lms 8.x ...)

Thanks!

Meanwhile found this older thread:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...io-(and-Touch)

It's a little complicated and You need a second (trusted) network to log SB and Laptop in - but it worked.
    Is there no easier way to do?

Quote Originally Posted by frank1969 View Post
    I had my Squeezebox Touch (as well as my SB Radio) connected via WLAN before. Worked fine.
    Last months I had them connected via ethernet, Worked fine too.
    Now I want to connect them via WLAN again (using in the garden) - and connection fails. (on Touch as well as on Radio)
    They recognize the right WLAN-network, try to connect - and fail.
    I guess it's for I changed the WLAN password some months ago - but I don't have any chance to type in the new password or to delete the WLAN-network to get asked about the password again.
    Any ideas? Don't wanna do a hard factory reset (especially not on the radio for the patches to use lms 8.x ...)

Thanks!
    I'm puzzled by this..... A while ago I changed my router's wifi password, for security reasons. I then of course has to go round all sorts of devices, changing the password to the new one. I must have done this on my assorted Touches and Radios, and I don't recall any particular problems. In fact, I don't even recall doing it, so it must have been pretty straightforward!
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 4
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), LAN Desktop
    3 x Touch - 1 wireless, 2 LAN. (8.0.1-r16855)
    2 x SB Radios [wireless] (8.0.1-r16855)
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)

Should add that, just for ease of use, I changed the router's SSID too - though that shouldn't have made any difference to the issue. The devices whould know it was the same router, under a new name, but with a new password.
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    Should add that, just for ease of use, I changed the router's SSID too - though that shouldn't have made any difference to the issue. The devices whould know it was the same router, under a new name, but with a new password.
    Since you changed the SSID then it would be a new network for SB devices so they would know to prompt for the password ... since they have never known it.
    The issue here is a new password for a known SSID.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Since you changed the SSID then it would be a new network for SB devices so they would know to prompt for the password ... since they have never known it.
    The issue here is a new password for a known SSID.
    But don't the devices and the router know each other via MAC addreses, not SSID?
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

If you bring in a new router and give it the same SSID and password as one that SB already knows then it will happily connect to it without doing anything extra.

If you change the password but not the SSID on an existing router then the SB (and everything else) will not be able to connect to it until you give it the right password (ignoring WPS for the moment ... which I don't think SB devices support anyway).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

If you bring in a new router and give it the same SSID and password as one that SB already knows then it will happily connect to it without doing anything extra.

If you change the password but not the SSID on an existing router then the SB (and everything else) will not be able to connect to it until you give it the right password (ignoring WPS for the moment ... which I don't think SB devices support anyway).
    I'm wondering if the OP - who can't find how to change the password on the SB device - has maybe set a new WPS (rather than WEP) password on his router? It seems very odd to me that he's not seeing an option to change the password at the device end of the set up.... why could that be?
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox

Presumably because the software in the SB device has some logic in it that says something like ....

I recognise this SSID as one that I have been configured for before so use the credentials that I have already stored.
    Then on failure it does not prompt for a different password.
    The other thread that is linked to from here seems to confirm that.
    Paul Webster

Presumably because the software in the SB device has some logic in it that says something like ....

I recognise this SSID as one that I have been configured for before so use the credentials that I have already stored.
    Then on failure it does not prompt for a different password.
    The other thread that is linked to from here seems to confirm that.
    Though the solution proposed there - and which folks report as effective - seems to be based on the SB device prompting on failure to *reconnect* to a known SSID after temporarily trying an entriely different SSID.... Even when the initial SSID (in which the password has been changed) is stored in the device as a Saved Network. Odd, IMHO.

Anyway, though I have no memory of doing all this in any particular order, I'm stocking away in my mind that the easiest way, maybe, to avoid the issue is to make an SSID name-change as well as a password change, when the latter is needed for some reason. After all, every device - not just SBs - will need to have its password reset, so pointing to a new SSID is probably at most one extra button-press in the process.

The other thing that struck me in the older thread was the suggestion that network change issues on SB devices can involve scrolling down past the bottom of the screen, or waiting to read the whole of a sideways scroll. Not always obvious that you need to do so. And that has fooled me a couple of times when doing set-ups or fault-finding - the option I needed was there, but I couldn't see it. There was something in a recent thread about choice of font size somewhat obscuring a necessary option.....
    LMS 8.2.1 - 1628023316
    Win10

a) Livebox 4
    2 x SqueezeAmps

b) Freebox