Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Each track is showing as a different Album

Hi Fairly new to this forum.
    I have been setting up my picoreplayer after ripping CDs using EAC. One issue I have is that when I view an album with different artist the album shows up multiple times for each track on the album. I assume it is because of the tagging system used.

This is the appearance of the LMS album view

Name:  Screenshot (1).jpg
Views: 208
Size:  133.0 KB

I have looked at the tags using tagscanner and this is an example of the tags for one of these albums.

Name:  Screenshot (2).png
Views: 202
Size:  189.2 KB

The artist in this example is different for each track so I assume this is the issue.

I would like to change the tags so that the album view only shows one album but I preserve the artist in the album artist view.
    Any suggestion on how to best achieve this and if there is any way that I can do this automatically when ripping these types of albums with EAC. I should also add that these files are FLAC format.

Cheers Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by gdryan View Post
    Hi Fairly new to this forum.
    I have been setting up my picoreplayer after ripping CDs using EAC. One issue I have is that when I view an album with different artist the album shows up multiple times for each track on the album. I assume it is because of the tagging system used.

This is the appearance of the LMS album view

Name:  Screenshot (1).jpg
Views: 208
Size:  133.0 KB

I have looked at the tags using tagscanner and this is an example of the tags for one of these albums.

Name:  Screenshot (2).png
Views: 202
Size:  189.2 KB

The artist in this example is different for each track so I assume this is the issue.

I would like to change the tags so that the album view only shows one album but I preserve the artist in the album artist view.
    Any suggestion on how to best achieve this and if there is any way that I can do this automatically when ripping these types of albums with EAC. I should also add that these files are FLAC format.

Cheers Glenn
    Are your artist tags for ARTIST or ALBUM ARTIST? If they are ARTIST (track artist) it should work the way you want it. What tags do you see if you select "more info" then "view tags" from a track's context menu?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slartibartfast; 2021-05-28 at 01:21.

Your problem is indeed at the tagging level and possibly the setting you have chosen in LMS for treatment of compilations.

As you are clearly on Windows I strongly suggest that you install mp3tag and stop using that tagging software which looks significantly inferior. A bit of time investigating mp3tag's capabilities would be well worthwhile. Start by comparing the same files in both pieces of software at a basic level then in mp3tag select a single file and press Alt+T for advanced tag view.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

For compilation albums where each track is by a different artist, I leave the Album Artist tag blank and I use the Compilation tag to indicate the album is a compilation. Then all the tracks are grouped as a single album.

I don't use Windows (outside of work) so won't recommend a tagging app.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I don't use Windows (outside of work) so won't recommend a tagging app.
    MP3TAG: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

/Claus

I assign albumartist values to everything, then I assign a comp=1 tag to whatever I want LMS to know is a comp.

This approach works with virtually everything.
    Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    I assign albumartist values to everything, then I assign a comp=1 tag to whatever I want LMS to know is a comp.

This approach works with virtually everything.
    Thanks everyone for your help. I assigned compilation tag to 1 and this seemed to fix my issue. Didn't need to assign an album artist although this may improve some other views.
    Cheers Glenn