Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Any benefits to Pi4 vs Pi3B using piCorePlayer?

Hello, sorry if that has been covered but I could find anything recent.

Have a couple Pi3B running piCorePlayer 7 with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.
    They’re working and sounding great.
    I know that the 4 is faster and that the USB & NIC bus have been separated.
    The question is will there any noticeable benefits to moving to a Pi4?

Quote Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
    Hello, sorry if that has been covered but I could find anything recent.

Have a couple Pi3B running piCorePlayer 7 with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.
    They’re working and sounding great.
    I know that the 4 is faster and that the USB & NIC bus have been separated.
    The question is will there any noticeable benefits to moving to a Pi4?
    Are you running LMS on one of them? If not, there is zero benefit
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Are you running LMS on one of them? If not, there is zero benefit
    Yes running LMS with several plugins.
    Or should I look at another hardware platform? I have several spare NUC’s from work. They’re older maybe gen 2 or 3. Or ??
    Last edited by trans_lux; 2021-05-26 at 15:54.

For PCP without LMS I see only disadvantages in using RPi4 - significantly higher power consumption and due to more heat, the CPU could require some cooling. Squeezelite and jive are designed for far weaker systems and will not benefit, IMO.

A faster processor will indeed help LMS. Based on my experiences a complete rescanning of the library will take only a fraction of the time on a slow NUC than on a cubitruck with hdd, (which is similar to the RPi3). But a complete rescan is nothing you will do on a regular basis. The main reasons why I've switched to a NUC was to have a complete linux/debian server system available for remote access, and furthermore I keep my music and other media files in sync with resilio sync, which also benefits from a faster system (with regard to I/O).

Quote Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
    Yes running LMS with several plugins.
    Or should I look at another hardware platform? I have several spare NUC’s from work. They’re older maybe gen 2 or 3. Or ??
    Soundwise a DAC HAT (what you have now) is probably a good choice. For LMS I found that the user interface on a Pi4 works really well, it's fast and responsive on any device (also when browsing online services), but I don't know if that would have been less so on a Pi3..

Thank you all for your input.
    Everything is working well ATM so I’m going to resist the temptation to mess with things.
    For now I’m going to keep the Pi3’s as is for the primary system.

If I can get one in a timely matter I’m going to get a Allo Boss2 to play with.

Thanks again.

Remember that LMS is single threaded so in "play" use it will never use all of the CPUs - it will use more processing power if scanning and perhaps when running Spotty etc which IIRC is also a separate process. The only advantage of a Pi4 I see for LMS as opposed to a Pi3 is that the LAN is gigabit and now separate from the USB stack plus the USB3 sockets.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    plus the USB3 sockets.
    If you use LMS on the Pi this is the biggest advantage, because reading and writing (creating) the database is really fast then (you also have to use a SSD or a fast USB stick for the database). First I had a USB stick for the DB which was fast in reading (130MB/s) but slow in writing (20MB/s). Now with a fast stick the time of a complete rescan is less than halve of the time.
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk