Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Ogg Vorbis kills my Duet under 8.1.1?

My local music library is a mixture of MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files, and my main player is a Squeezebox Duet which was working fine with either. I've been on LMS 7.9.2 for a long time.

However, last month I updated to 8.1.1 but had subsequently been mostly playing web streams, up until now -- where it seems like Ogg Vorbis playback is broken. If I try to play anything from my library that's Ogg, I get nothing. The remote/web interface/android app all sort of behave like it's playing, counting up the playback time, but nothing is actually happening (no sound) and it seems to partially crash the player; that is, if I try go play something else like an MP3 or a stream, nothing works. I have to pull the power on the Duet to reboot it, at which point it works fine until I try to play another Ogg file.

Not really sure what's going on. I turned on player.source debug, attached below with what I get when I try to play a track.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by ManChicken View Post
    My local music library is a mixture of MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files, and my main player is a Squeezebox Duet which was working fine with either. I've been on LMS 7.9.2 for a long time.

However, last month I updated to 8.1.1 but had subsequently been mostly playing web streams, up until now -- where it seems like Ogg Vorbis playback is broken. If I try to play anything from my library that's Ogg, I get nothing. The remote/web interface/android app all sort of behave like it's playing, counting up the playback time, but nothing is actually happening (no sound) and it seems to partially crash the player; that is, if I try go play something else like an MP3 or a stream, nothing works. I have to pull the power on the Duet to reboot it, at which point it works fine until I try to play another Ogg file.

Not really sure what's going on. I turned on player.source debug, attached below with what I get when I try to play a track.
    Try 8.1.2 or 8.2 in case it has been fixed.
    https://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

... last month I updated to 8.1.1 but had subsequently been mostly playing web streams, up until now -- where it seems like Ogg Vorbis playback is broken. If I try to play anything from my library that's Ogg, I get nothing.
    Fwiw, I'm running 8.1.1 - 1610364019 and Ogg files play fine (currently listening to one, as a test before replying).

If it's any help, these are my transcoding settings:

Name:  ogg.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  21.1 KB
    Duet x 3, via various hi-fi. LMS on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian 10) on a Pi4.

Hmm, interesting. I rolled back to 7.9.2 and was having the same problem.

So I started looking at the files I was trying to play which were all semi-recently done rips of CDs. They were marked as encoded with libvorbis 20180316; I mostly use CDex on Windows to rip and that's what version I'm running happens to use. However, I found some other tracks I'd ripped ~10 months ago which also say they were encoded with the same library version, and they work fine.

The only difference I could see was that in these last few problematic rips, I'd manually added the album art into the tracks with Mp3tag.. so I stripped the artwork back out, and boom, they played on the Duet. Guess it was choking on that particular tagging (though no other players seem to mind..)

Anyway, mystery solved! Thanks for the responses.

Hmm, interesting. I rolled back to 7.9.2 and was having the same problem.

So I started looking at the files I was trying to play which were all semi-recently done rips of CDs. They were marked as encoded with libvorbis 20180316; I mostly use CDex on Windows to rip and that's what version I'm running happens to use. However, I found some other tracks I'd ripped ~10 months ago which also say they were encoded with the same library version, and they work fine.

The only difference I could see was that in these last few problematic rips, I'd manually added the album art into the tracks with Mp3tag.. so I stripped the artwork back out, and boom, they played on the Duet. Guess it was choking on that particular tagging (though no other players seem to mind..)

Anyway, mystery solved! Thanks for the responses.
    I have never had issues with embedded artwork and OGG/Vorbis files. Are you sure that you are using Vorbis-tags and not ID3-tags? Because the latter is not recommended for OGG/Vorbis, although technically it sometimes will work.

Talking about recommendations: CDex *really is not a good idea* to use for ripping these days, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDex for more info of the reasons.
    Besides the security issues, it is technically also substandard and will not guarantee bitperfect rips of your CDs. There are many better free and/or paid ripping tools available.
    Last edited by zordaz; 2021-05-24 at 06:28.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.1.x on Xubuntu 21.04

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    I have never had issues with embedded artwork and OGG/Vorbis files. Are you sure that you are using Vorbis-tags and not ID3-tags? Because the latter is not recommended for OGG/Vorbis, although technically it sometimes will work.
    Over the years I've had many problems with embedded artwork in OGG/Vorvis files. Over about 300kB they would cause my SB3 to crash or my Duet to not play. I can't say whether the tags were Vorbis or ID3 anymore, as I've kept all artwork as external files for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by dunq View Post
    Over the years I've had many problems with embedded artwork in OGG/Vorvis files. Over about 300kB they would cause my SB3 to crash or my Duet to not play. I can't say whether the tags were Vorbis or ID3 anymore, as I've kept all artwork as external files for a few years now.
    I indeed remember some issues in the past when playing files with huge embedded artwork, although from my memory this wasn't only with OGG/Vorbis files. As I keep my artwork external as well, I haven't investigated it in more detail.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.1.x on Xubuntu 21.04