Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best server solution for sound quality?

I'm currently using LMS on Debian virtual machine, which runs on proxmox server with many other VM's. I have mounted music folder from Synology NAS. So i'm thinking, could there be any SQ benefit to run LMS on Pi4 or x86 machine with SSD storage? Options:
    1. LMS on Debian virtual macine with mounted NAS folder
    2. LMS on Debian virtual machine with mounted Proxmox Raid SSD's
    3. LMS on Debian x86 macine with SSD storage
    4. LMS on pi4/Raspbian with USB3 SSD
    5. LMS on piCorePlayer with USB3 SSD
    6. Or something else even better?

Quote Originally Posted by stosoorok View Post
    So i'm thinking, could there be any SQ benefit to run LMS on Pi4 or x86 machine with SSD storage?
    No, unless your current configuration is broken.

No, nothing broken. Sometimes there is a little lag (not instant) when browsing folders. I have read/heard people who are switched from 'LMS on NAS' to 'LMS on pi4 with SSD' and experienced better SQ. I'm using 10k+Ç high end gear so maybe there is a point.

I have read/heard people who are switched from 'LMS on NAS' to 'LMS on pi4 with SSD' and experienced better SQ.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=1018603
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

No, nothing broken. Sometimes there is a little lag (not instant) when browsing folders. I have read/heard people who are switched from 'LMS on NAS' to 'LMS on pi4 with SSD' and experienced better SQ. I'm using 10k+€ high end gear so maybe there is a point.
    So long as your server can deliver the data (bits) to your player without dropouts, you're good with almost any configuration. The player and its built in DAC (or attached DAC) does all the work to turn the zeros and ones into analog music. (and this is true regardless of the cost of the gear, of course if we are talking about speakers, speaker placement, room configuration, etc., then that's all in the analog space and there can certainly be improvements)
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Sometimes there is a little lag (not instant) when browsing folders.
    I understand; too much lag would bother me as well. Taking the VM out of the equation, a dedicated RPi solution might offer higher performance. Only way to know is to try it.

I'm not going to argue the "SQ" points; people hear all kinds of things when they expect to and most of them are unwilling to put in the time/effort to eliminate bias. It's easier to just "believe" and tell everyone else how they are missing out.

No, nothing broken. Sometimes there is a little lag (not instant) when browsing folders. I have read/heard people who are switched from 'LMS on NAS' to 'LMS on pi4 with SSD' and experienced better SQ. I'm using 10k+Ç high end gear so maybe there is a point.
    I think what they experienced was a faster system, not a SQ improvement. I was on a Synology DS916+ with 6TB WD Reds and switched to an Intel NUC7CJYH running Ubuntu with SSD and it's much snappier.

My education won't allow me to even contemplate that there might be any difference in SQ whatsoever. Are your Word documents any different if you load them from a Samsung SSD vs a SanDisk USB Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    I think what they experienced was a faster system, not a SQ improvement. I was on a Synology DS916+ with 6TB WD Reds and switched to an Intel NUC7CJYH running Ubuntu with SSD and it's much snappier.

My education won't allow me to even contemplate that there might be any difference in SQ whatsoever. Are your Word documents any different if you load them from a Samsung SSD vs a SanDisk USB Stick?
    You would be surprised what people claim affect sound quality. Even different versions of LMS

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    I don't want to be rude, but this is absolute rubbish as a comparison. Forget your education. Please close your eyes, free your mind and use your ears. I once were in the same situation. I have built many systems (amps, streamers and so on) and could not believe it either (ignored critical listening), until I started to use my ears. It's kind like a good wine, gognac or food, you do not use your education or chemical formula for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Only way to know is to try it.
    Indeed looks that way!

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    You would be surprised what people claim affect sound quality. Even different versions of LMS
    Don't get me started. Personally, I find that LMS sounds much better when a song is played via the Material skin vs the Default skin. Not to mention the SQ improvements afforded by using all UPPERCASE tags in your files...