Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Could I improve my storage method?

Over the past year I gradually got to grips with the pi 4 and picoreplayer and moved the server (NAS duo) version of LMS to the pi, added an audio hat and DAC which then passes to an old but perfect to my ears Naim pre and and power amp. I love the fact that I can now just use Ipeng to control my music and access to streaming services, and I hope LMS continues. I back up the music collection (about 75000 tracks in flac mainly) to another hard drive and other material from the server using syncback so all good on that front.

So Im now looking at the NAS duo and wondering it its worth considering any change to this, as its getting relatively old.. should I even be bothering or will any change here just be cosmetic, as now I have moved LMS to the pi indexing tracks is a breeze compared to the Duo? Any thoughts please? Thx

What functions would you be trying to improve by changing your storage method? You would only see a performance improvement if the functions in question were I/O bound. Alternatively, would the change be for administrative convenience? If so, what would you be trying to improve?

Quote Originally Posted by coyrls View Post
    What functions would you be trying to improve by changing your storage method? You would only see a performance improvement if the functions in question were I/O bound. Alternatively, would the change be for administrative convenience? If so, what would you be trying to improve?
    You have hit the nail on the head - apart from physically running out of room on 2/1.5T mirrored drives (one day but thats way off as Im trying to listen to my collection more than collecting nowadays) I'm stumped myself as to what I would really gain - I suppose if all support was dropped for the NAS that would be a potential problem, but not difficult to move stuff nowadays. Its good to have confirmation though so thx

Once you decide the NAS is no longer functional as it ages, I'd replace it by simply using a directly attached USB drive to the rPi. That's what I do, with a 4TB USB drive (powered from the rPi USB port, no extra power supply). Works great with about 117,000 tracks.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Hi,
    I'm very happy with my actual setup.
    I have OpenMediaVault 5 installed on an Odroid XU4 with 2 hard drives attached to the USB 3.0 ports.
    I use PureSync to synchronise different folders on different hard drives including the the XU4 ones.
    I installed LMS on the same XU4. I found the PiCorePlayer is playing more smoothly Than when the hard drive was attached to my Pi4 running pCP.
    Cheers

Sent from my Active using Tapatalk

When reading the reactions of this topic I see some examples of a mirrored storage setup. I don't want to hijack this thread, but please keep in mind that mirroring is NOT the same as a backup. Because in a lot of use cases any corruption will be synced to both devices. Therefore you will still want a separate backup!
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.1.x on Xubuntu 21.04

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    When reading the reactions of this topic I see some examples of a mirrored storage setup. I don't want to hijack this thread, but please keep in mind that mirroring is NOT the same as a backup. Because in a lot of use cases any corruption will be synced to both devices. Therefore you will still want a separate backup!
    I couldn't agree more. RAID is not a backup. Google "Raid is not a backup" for plenty of horror stories.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    Totally agree. Syncing even to offsite remote storage has this potential downside but so does any scheduled backup if you don’t notice the corruption between scheduled jobs.

I sync to an offsite backup on a daily basis but also run a scheduled local backup on a weekly basis. Ideally I’d like 4 x weekly backups available on a rolling basis but although disk storage is cheap it isn’t practical on a large library.

Raid is a separate thing altogether and nothing to do with backup regime.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS