Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Linux with Intel NUC & LMS? Anyone here using Clear Linux?

Because my NAS is getting too slow for my LMS plugins (Custom Browse), I tested LMS on an Intel NUC i3 on Windows. That worked pretty great, but I cannot use this PC for LMS longterm. So I decided to use another Intel NUC, dedicated to LMS. And maybe Nextcloud. And I want to use Linux (headless system). My question is:

Which distribution should I use? I'm pretty bad at all kinds of Linux, so I really don't have any preference. Intel Support page names Ubuntu and Clear Linux. I never heard of Clear Linux before, but as it's "Intel's Linux Distribution" maybe that's a good thing on Intel hardware? Has anyone of you tried it with LMS?
    QLMS 8.2@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Hi,

I am using since several years an Intel NUC with i3 running on Ubuntu Linux as LMS server.

Since you are not familiar with Linux, I suggest to choose a distro that is widely-used, e.g. Ubuntu or Debian. It would be easier to get support (e.g. here in the forum) if you have problems. Another suggestion is to use a "long term support (LTS)" version of the distro. These versions receive security updates for around 5 years. Other versions require a distro update once a year. For Ubuntu, it would be 20.04 LTS.

Clear Linux is a super optimised / high performance system but it is not really aimed at end users, so I would not recommend for your use case.
    I would agree with @jd68, go for a well-known distribution like Ubuntu or Debian that have server versions, a large community and vast choice of software in their repositories. Server versions are designed to run headless (no display), they don't include graphical environments so they are efficient and quite secure by default.

Also you could look into distributions aimed at replacing NAS systems, like for example openmediavault: https://www.openmediavault.org/
    This is based on Debian, but you can add some functionalities and monitor/control your machine via a web interface which is handy.

If you want to use the machine for self-hosting (Nexcloud) then there are other specific Debian-based solutions like FreedomBone https://freedombone.net/ or Yunohost https://yunohost.org/#/. They both offer Nextcloud installs among many other web services. And they have web-based remote administration too.

LMS can be installed with 2 commands on any debian-based system by downloading the right package from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=8.2

Stay clear of Clear OS (pun intended) if you want it to do something out of the box. Clear OS is meant as a nitwit `free` small business server featuring several mechanisms that are meant to prevent tampering through other means than its web based GUI. In practice this means that when you install a third party service requiring a dedicated (POSIX) service account Clear OS will automatically delete that account and thus prevent you to (re)start that service.

I run my main LMS on a headless Intel NUC7CJYH under Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and it's gorgeous. Much faster than it ever was on my Synology DS916+. Fully agree that it will be much easier to get support for Ubuntu than some obscure distro. You can skip the option to use the zfs file system as that will make support a little trickier and you don't need it anyway.

I also agree. Stay mainstream. Ubuntu, Centos or Debian. Personally I use Centos with no gui.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

I would have mentionedCentOS, too, but it is officially declared as being discontinued. There will be a fork that continues the work of CentOS but I don't want a beginner to go this unforeseeable way.

Archlinux.

Lightweight. Fast. Stable. And their wiki is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    Stay clear of Clear OS (pun intended) if you want it to do something out of the box. Clear OS is meant as a nitwit `free` small business server featuring several mechanisms that are meant to prevent tampering through other means than its web based GUI. In practice this means that when you install a third party service requiring a dedicated (POSIX) service account Clear OS will automatically delete that account and thus prevent you to (re)start that service.
    ClearOS (https://www.clearos.com) is something different then the questioned Clear Linux (https://clearlinux.org).
    I''m using ClearOS for over 15 years in different versions and it is an easy install with many options. Simply to use and als you can install third party services without any issues.
    Not sure what happended with your install, but never had any problems.
    It is a pretty stable distro, with a lot of packages which you can add easily and control from 1 controlpanel. LMS is running on it without any problems and and it easy to manage the user account for mail, SMB or Nextcloud.
    Last edited by madpatrick; 2021-05-15 at 01:31.
    -
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by jd68 View Post
    I would have mentionedCentOS, too, but it is officially declared as being discontinued. There will be a fork that continues the work of CentOS but I don't want a beginner to go this unforeseeable way.
    CentOS is not being discontinued as such just will be different (I won't say more as theres plenty online)

I have installed LMS on both alternatives AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux (beta) and all runs fine and is indistinguishable from CentOS

In fact my LMS server is now Almalinux

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953