Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I run LMS 8.1.1 on RN202 so it's possible but if I have to start over I would go with PiCorePlayer LMS and keep the music files on the NAS.
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeth View Post
    I also have a ReadyNas that is frozen in v7.9 because I can’t work out how to update it. I’m interested in the Raspberry Pi option and would welcome advice as to what I should purchase. I have seen a number of options (including a ‘starter kit’), but is there anything I should specifically look for?
    looks like they have done a package for LMS8
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=8.0
    but i am having issues with the ready NAS even with 7.9 where i can not launch LMS in Frontview and installing 8 has not changed anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Quote Originally Posted by nicklouse View Post
    looks like they have done a package for LMS8
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...ex.php?ver=8.0
    but i am having issues with the ready NAS even with 7.9 where i can not launch LMS in Frontview and installing 8 has not changed anything.
    You need LMS_1.0.9all.deb.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post987438
    Spare SB3
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    why? not a suitable file wrong format.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Quote Originally Posted by nicklouse View Post
    why? not a suitable file wrong format.
    I thought you was missing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Spare SB3
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    I thought you was missing this?
    that is for a newer NAS, it is confusing when they have names covering many versions RND2000 Duo

I also have a ReadyNas that is frozen in v7.9 because I can’t work out how to update it. I’m interested in the Raspberry Pi option and would welcome advice as to what I should purchase. I have seen a number of options (including a ‘starter kit’), but is there anything I should specifically look for?
    Get a good power supply (original), a quality sd card and a nice case, I think the essential kits include these. Apart from that it depends on how much music you have, the recommended performance option is a machine with at least 2GB RAM if you have more than 50 000 tracks so that would mean a Pi4 with that much RAM.

Tried both: upgrade on ReadyNAS was easier (details, Rpi OOBE etc, long)

Inspired by this thread, I splashed out on a Raspberry Pi 4B (2GB), with a USB-C power supply, a micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter cable to connect to a monitor, and a case. The details are below. The bottom line is that it works but cannot go to sleep, so you're putting a couple of Watts of heating on permanently. I'm keeping it as a backup but seriously considered sending it all back.

While I was going through the process, on the side I also:
    - downloaded https://downloads.slimdevices.com/ni...831622_arm.deb [yes, it's a beta version, you could use the 8.1]
    - logged into my ReadyNAS 212 running OS6
    - clicked Apps -> Upload
    - pointed it to the saved .deb file and clicked Upload
    - waited for it to do it's thing, then rebooted the NAS
    - found my LMS upgraded from 7.9.2 to 8.2.0 with all plugins, favourites etc still in place. Done.
    So this is what I'm going to keep using, so long as _arm.deb packages, the Spotty Helper app etc (thank you Michel Herger!) are available.
    It doesn't show up in the ReadyNAS web interface but that doesn't stop it from working - note this was an upgrade, there's a bit more on this below.

Also a blow-by-blow account for anyone as new to Raspberry Pi as I was/still am...

Good luck, all!

Note on Poussin etc:
    I was previously using the ReadyNAS version of LMS 7.9.0 by NAStools, which appeared on the UI's Apps list. I then uploaded 7.9.2 as a .deb as above and used that instead, which seemed to inherit favourites etc (this was a while ago, actually I may have still been synching with mysqueezebox.com). I later turned off 7.9.0 using the interface.
    The Poussin App noted above in the thread wasn't required for me. As part of the current upgrade I tried it, it did load and show up in the interface but deactivating it with the On/Off button had no effect on my LMS 8.2.

OOBE for LMS-on-piCoreplayer-on-RaspberryPi:
    0. Lots of kudos to the picoreplayer (pCP) team for documentation
    0. Connect LAN, keyboard, mouse, monitor to Rpi and power on - it boots. Phew, that Raspberry Pi (Rpi) is tiny but it works!
    0. TL: DR typical faffing about, greatly facilitated by pCP browser interface.

1. Start with https://docs.picoreplayer.org/getting-started/
    Most steps have detail in https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/

2. Download DiskImage programme to PC from sourceforge.
    3. Install DiskImage
    4. Download pCP image file and unzip on PC
    5. Expand image to a microSD card (mine was 8GB) using DiskImage

6. Find microSD card slot in RPi4B using a photo online, as there are no user docs included.
    7. Load the microSD, power on, RPi4B boots: colours on screen, looks good, and helpfully displays its IP address.
    8. Connect PC web browser to IP address, get a pCP graphical browser interface.

9. Read more How-To's [this was a mistake]
    Download PuTTY
    Uninstall old PuTTY
    Install new PuTTY
    Read up on how to use PuTTY again
    Can't get a connection - typo in IP address.
    Correct the IP address and connect.
    Login tc
    Pwd piCore
    Connection now works but [after more faffing about] I didn't need it.

10. Back to pCP Getting Started guide and the pCP browser interface, find the steps to install LMS.
    11. Expand file system button, provide 2GB [where, to what?] …. OK
    12. Install LMS button …. OK
    13. Need to mount NAS drive to access music library … nothing doing, greyed out.
    14. Needs Additional File Systems, a button above … OK.
    15. Right, Network Disk Mount is now accepting settings. Enter a name for the drive, IP of NAS, get music share name from ReadyNAS interface, … er … I shouldn't need NFS as per instructions (pCP to connect to a Synology NAS), it should work with CIFS? No joy. Yes joy, if you use the correct password for your NAS.
    16. It's asking for a Reboot. OK, button to reboot the Rpi, wait for the browser interface to return (it's quick).
    17. Following LMS setup suggestions … Tweaks - don't autostart SqueezeLite (as my Rpi is a server not a player) at http://[your Rpi IP]/cgi-bin/tweaks.cgi
    18. Reboot Rpi again, via button as requested.
    19. Point PC's browser at [your Rpi IP]:9000 - get the familiar LMS interface, and it's LMS 8.1.1. A bit of setup, it automatically scans the music library, all fine. Well, failed to precache the artwork.
    20. Start choosing plugins. Server responds really fast.
    21. Restart LMS - we have a functioning system but it needs Favourites, and to set up several plugins with account details etc
    22. Rescan the music library, this time it does get the artwork. [By now, the original ReadyNAS installation has long since been updated, with all the original plugin settings that pCP LMS still lacks.]
    23. http://[your Rpi IP]/cgi-bin/lms.cgi is the main page for LMS. Looks like there's an update button, nice potentially for the future. HOWEVER, a bit of searching reveals that there is no accessible sleep/low-power mode on Rpi, it's on all the time.
    24. Use the pCP Stop LMS button to stop the server.
    25. Type "sudo poweroff" on the Rpi keyboard to shut down the Rpi, as it has no hardware on/off function until you build/buy one. Disconnect power.

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I splashed out on a Raspberry Pi 4B (2GB), with a USB-C power supply, a micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter cable to connect to a monitor, and a case. The details are below. The bottom line is that it works but cannot go to sleep, so you're putting a couple of Watts of heating on permanently. I'm keeping it as a backup but seriously considered sending it all back.

While I was going through the process, on the side I also:
    - downloaded https://downloads.slimdevices.com/ni...831622_arm.deb [yes, it's a beta version, you could use the 8.1]
    - logged into my ReadyNAS 212 running OS6
    - clicked Apps -> Upload
    - pointed it to the saved .deb file and clicked Upload
    - waited for it to do it's thing, then rebooted the NAS
    - found my LMS upgraded from 7.9.2 to 8.2.0 with all plugins, favourites etc still in place. Done.
    So this is what I'm going to keep using, so long as _arm.deb packages, the Spotty Helper app etc (thank you Michel Herger!) are available.
    It doesn't show up in the ReadyNAS web interface but that doesn't stop it from working - note this was an upgrade, there's a bit more on this below.

Also a blow-by-blow account for anyone as new to Raspberry Pi as I was/still am...

Good luck, all!

Note on Poussin etc:
    I was previously using the ReadyNAS version of LMS 7.9.0 by NAStools, which appeared on the UI's Apps list. I then uploaded 7.9.2 as a .deb as above and used that instead, which seemed to inherit favourites etc (this was a while ago, actually I may have still been synching with mysqueezebox.com). I later turned off 7.9.0 using the interface.
    The Poussin App noted above in the thread wasn't required for me. As part of the current upgrade I tried it, it did load and show up in the interface but deactivating it with the On/Off button had no effect on my LMS 8.2.

OOBE for LMS-on-piCoreplayer-on-RaspberryPi:
    0. Lots of kudos to the picoreplayer (pCP) team for documentation
    0. Connect LAN, keyboard, mouse, monitor to Rpi and power on - it boots. Phew, that Raspberry Pi (Rpi) is tiny but it works!
    0. TL: DR typical faffing about, greatly facilitated by pCP browser interface.

1. Start with https://docs.picoreplayer.org/getting-started/
    Most steps have detail in https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/

2. Download DiskImage programme to PC from sourceforge.
    3. Install DiskImage
    4. Download pCP image file and unzip on PC
    5. Expand image to a microSD card (mine was 8GB) using DiskImage

6. Find microSD card slot in RPi4B using a photo online, as there are no user docs included.
    7. Load the microSD, power on, RPi4B boots: colours on screen, looks good, and helpfully displays its IP address.
    8. Connect PC web browser to IP address, get a pCP graphical browser interface.

9. Read more How-To's [this was a mistake]
    Download PuTTY
    Uninstall old PuTTY
    Install new PuTTY
    Read up on how to use PuTTY again
    Can't get a connection - typo in IP address.
    Correct the IP address and connect.
    Login tc
    Pwd piCore
    Connection now works but [after more faffing about] I didn't need it.

10. Back to pCP Getting Started guide and the pCP browser interface, find the steps to install LMS.
    11. Expand file system button, provide 2GB [where, to what?] …. OK
    12. Install LMS button …. OK
    13. Need to mount NAS drive to access music library … nothing doing, greyed out.
    14. Needs Additional File Systems, a button above … OK.
    15. Right, Network Disk Mount is now accepting settings. Enter a name for the drive, IP of NAS, get music share name from ReadyNAS interface, … er … I shouldn't need NFS as per instructions (pCP to connect to a Synology NAS), it should work with CIFS? No joy. Yes joy, if you use the correct password for your NAS.
    16. It's asking for a Reboot. OK, button to reboot the Rpi, wait for the browser interface to return (it's quick).
    17. Following LMS setup suggestions … Tweaks - don't autostart SqueezeLite (as my Rpi is a server not a player) at http://[your Rpi IP]/cgi-bin/tweaks.cgi
    18. Reboot Rpi again, via button as requested.
    19. Point PC's browser at [your Rpi IP]:9000 - get the familiar LMS interface, and it's LMS 8.1.1. A bit of setup, it automatically scans the music library, all fine. Well, failed to precache the artwork.
    20. Start choosing plugins. Server responds really fast.
    21. Restart LMS - we have a functioning system but it needs Favourites, and to set up several plugins with account details etc
    22. Rescan the music library, this time it does get the artwork. [By now, the original ReadyNAS installation has long since been updated, with all the original plugin settings that pCP LMS still lacks.]
    23. http://[your Rpi IP]/cgi-bin/lms.cgi is the main page for LMS. Looks like there's an update button, nice potentially for the future. HOWEVER, a bit of searching reveals that there is no accessible sleep/low-power mode on Rpi, it's on all the time.
    24. Use the pCP Stop LMS button to stop the server.
    25. Type "sudo poweroff" on the Rpi keyboard to shut down the Rpi, as it has no hardware on/off function until you build/buy one. Disconnect power.
    Thanks so much! I’ve finally managed to update my ReadyNas thanks to you. Can now listen to BBC Sounds👍👍

Thanks so much! I’ve finally managed to update my ReadyNas thanks to you. Can now listen to BBC Sounds👍👍
    You're welcome, Dodeth. Thanks for letting me know, it's much appreciated