Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS 8 on ReadyNAS

Please help a very confused person out.

I've been using Squeezeboxes for years and currently have what seems to be a rock-solid system running two Touches, two Receivers, two Booms and two Radios based on a ReadyNAS 102 running LMS 7.9.0.

My daughter has asked to see if we can incorporate Spotify hence me revisting these forums today. Having got lost in the discussions for a while and trying to bring myself a little more up to date, I like the sound of LMS 8 (and am eternally grateful to the folks who are keeping LMS alive) but I've literally no idea if this is something I can use on my system.

I can't seem to find an idiot's guide - would anyone be able to tell me if v8 is an option for my system and if so, which of the downloads I should be looking at here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=8.2 ?

Many thanks for any advice, links or other pointers.

LMS 8 on ReadyNAS

> I can't seem to find an idiot's guide - would anyone be able to tell me
    > if v8 is an option for my system and if so, which of the downloads I
    > should be looking at here:

We no longer have packages specific to the ReadyNAS. If it's Debian
    based an you can run dpkg on it, you can install the .deb package. What
    Perl version is your unit running (see Settings/Information)?

Based on the CPU the ARM v8 version seems right.

I've no experience with ReadyNAS and how happy they are with running software that is not specific for them.
    My advice, I'm sure someone will come along with better, is that if you feel that the technical bits are a bit much then get a Raspberry Pi, load it with piCorePlayer and run LMS from there. I will take some tinkering and I'm not sure if you can move playlist and favourites, but it is pretty straight forward and you don't have to mess with you NAS.

Quote Originally Posted by v2k View Post
    Based on the CPU the ARM v8 version seems right.

I've no experience with ReadyNAS and how happy they are with running software that is not specific for them.
    My advice, I'm sure someone will come along with better, is that if you feel that the technical bits are a bit much then get a Raspberry Pi, load it with piCorePlayer and run LMS from there. I will take some tinkering and I'm not sure if you can move playlist and favourites, but it is pretty straight forward and you don't have to mess with you NAS.
    I think the best option. Not so expensive and very fast. Even the basic setup can easily be done in one hour. I bet getting LMS8.x running on the readynas will take a lot more time and I guess the end result would be lesser satisfying.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like I'm running Perl Version: 5.20.2 - arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int

I guess the Raspberry Pi option could be more straightforward - and has certainly been on my radar for a while but I think I'd like to try to stick with the ReadyNAS if possible - it's served me well thus far I've never even touched a Pi before... (As an aside, if I went down this route, would it sort of piggyback on the existing NAS or would I have to copy my music over to something else?)

LMS 8 on ReadyNAS

> I guess the Raspberry Pi option could be more straightforward - and has
    > certainly been on my radar for a while

Way to go!

> but I think I'd like to try to
    > stick with the ReadyNAS if possible - it's served me well thus far I've
    > never even touched a Pi before... (As an aside, if I went down this
    > route, would it sort of piggyback on the existing NAS or would I have to
    > copy my music over to something else?)

Yes! I'm running LMS on pCP, but have the music files still on my old
    ReadyNAS Duo v2.

Quote Originally Posted by YHS1979 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

It looks like I'm running Perl Version: 5.20.2 - arm-linux-gnueabi-thread-multi-64int

I guess the Raspberry Pi option could be more straightforward - and has certainly been on my radar for a while but I think I'd like to try to stick with the ReadyNAS if possible - it's served me well thus far I've never even touched a Pi before... (As an aside, if I went down this route, would it sort of piggyback on the existing NAS or would I have to copy my music over to something else?)
    I can appreciate that, if you are comfortable tinkering with your NAS you can always try that first.

You wont really do anything pi-ish. The process (in broad and possibly missing strokes) is, download and write pCP to sd card, insert sd card in pi and connect network and power, get IP-address for pCP (screen or through your router) and connect with browser, expand filesystem, reboot, install LMS (possible reboot), mount share with music, connect to LMS (same IP as pCP but port 9000, configure LMS, done!

That does sound enticingly simple...

Quote Originally Posted by YHS1979 View Post
    That does sound enticingly simple...
    It is simple. The bit that throws most people who want to keep their music on their NAS is mounting the share NFS or CIFS. There are examples in the WiKi based on a Synology NAS but the principle is the same whatever NAS you have.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

I also have a ReadyNas that is frozen in v7.9 because I can’t work out how to update it. I’m interested in the Raspberry Pi option and would welcome advice as to what I should purchase. I have seen a number of options (including a ‘starter kit’), but is there anything I should specifically look for?