Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't stop repeated rescans that are hanging LMS

Hi All

LMS has gone a bit haywire on me. It's repeatedly rescanning the media, about every hour and I've no idea why. Additionally, when they are happening LMS essentially hangs; streaming stops and I can't access the web interface. The scans do complete successfully though.
    The media hasn’t changed and there was no obviously setting driving this in the plugins. And now to try and stop the rescanning I’ve uninstalled the auto scan apps. It didn't work.

I did wonder if Spotty might be causing the issue as some of the directories scanned were Spotify related but I’ve removed Spotty too with no change. the Sotify directories don't appear in in the rescan info now.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening or perhaps can outline a debug strategy ?

Thanks very much.

Library Statistics
    Total Tracks: 13,080
    Total Albums: 964
    Total Artists: 2,736
    Total Genres: 154
    Total Playlists: 189
    Total Playing Time: 933:13:28

Media Scan Details
    Building full text index (7 of 7) Complete 00:00:18

Database Optimize (2 of 2) Complete 00:00:24

The server has finished scanning your media library.

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.1.1 - 1610364019 @ Thu Jan 14 06:24:07 CET 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: armv7l-linux
    Perl Version: 5.28.1 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    Audio::Scan: 1.02
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.060
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Clients:
    1 Controller
    4 Receivers
    2 PiCore Players on Rasberry Pis
    Preferred App: Squeezer for speed. Squeeze Ctrl for features

Servers:
    Raspberry Pi 4 with 4Gb running NextCloudPi, Kodi, Duplicati and of course LMS

Can't stop repeated rescans thatare hanging LMS

> I did wonder if Spotty might be causing the issue as some of the
    > directories scanned were Spotify related but I’ve removed Spotty too
    > with no change. the Sotify directories don't appear in in the rescan
    > info now.

Is the Online Library integration enabled? If so: is any other streaming
    service enabled for scanning? And are there any traces in scanner.log
    (or server.log)?

Thanks for the reply.

I've no other online accounts, in fact I've removed Tidal and Weezer just to make sure they're not doing anything. This seems to have stopped the hourly scanning.

However when I run a manual scan it still hangs LMS, I can't access the web UI and music stops. LMS eventually comes back online and but the music must be manually started. There's no log created during scan time in the server log and only a couple of warnings(below) but I don't think they're relevant.

The only clue to what's going on is visible when I watch the Web UI before the hang. The hang occurs when part way through "Database Optimize"and lasts for about ten minutes. Then the scan goes on to complete successfully. I've tried clearing the library and rescanning but it does the same.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

file:///media/psmedia128/music/The%20Strokes%20-%20Angles%20(2011)/cd/00.%20The%20Strokes%20-%20Angles.pls doesn't exist on disk - skipping!
    [21-05-12 21:57:15.2979] Slim::Formats::Playlists::Base:laylistEntryIsValid (125) Warning: ///09%20-%20Metabolism.mp3 found in playlist:
    file:///media/psmedia128/music/The%20Strokes%20-%20Angles%20(2011)/cd/00.%20The%20Strokes%20-%20Angles.pls doesn't exist on disk - skipping!
    [21-05-12 21:57:15.2985] Slim::Formats::Playlists::Base:laylistEntryIsValid (125) Warning: ///10%20-%20Life%20Is%20Simple%20In%20The%20Moonlight.mp3 found in playlist:
    Clients:
    1 Controller
    4 Receivers

Servers:

Can't stop repeated rescans thatare hanging LMS

> The only clue to what's going on is visible when I watch the Web UI
    > before the hang. The hang occurs when part way through "Database
    > Optimize"and lasts for about ten minutes. Then the scan goes on to
    > complete successfully. I've tried clearing the library and rescanning
    > but it does the same.

This is most likely due to lack of memory (or running low). How large is
    your library?

> Raspberry Pi 4 running NextCloud Pi, Kodi, Duplicati and of course LMS

You have a lot running on your Pi, it seems. Kodi, NextCloud, LMS... how
    much memory do you have?

Trackstat? musicbrainz id enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    You have a lot running on your Pi, it seems. Kodi, NextCloud, LMS... how
    much memory do you have?
    I've got 4Gb and just over 13K media tracks. All the other aps and LMS have been running quite happily for over a year. They very rarely run with any load at the same time. I did some experiments though and mem use doesn’t go over 1Gb when scanning media. Please see the attachment if you’re interested in the finer details of the load.

Resources.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mamema View Post
    Trackstat? musicbrainz id enabled?
    Both. I just removed Trackstat and hey presto a scan for new media completes in 90seconds. With no hang! Great tip thanks. Is it a known problem ?

But am now I'm a bit confused as I went to add Trackstat again to try to replicate the issue and it's not an option to add it again.

Thanks Guys
    Clients:
    1 Controller
    4 Receivers

Servers:

Quote Originally Posted by sto View Post
    I've got 4Gb and just over 13K media tracks. All the other aps and LMS have been running quite happily for over a year. They very rarely run with any load at the same time. I did some experiments though and mem use doesn’t go over 1Gb when scanning media. Please see the attachment if you’re interested in the finer details of the load.

Resources.pdf

Both. I just removed Trackstat and hey presto a scan for new media completes in 90seconds. With no hang! Great tip thanks. Is it a known problem ?

But am now I'm a bit confused as I went to add Trackstat again to try to replicate the issue and it's not an option to add it again.

Thanks Guys
    Have you ticked the Unsupported Plugins box on the Plugins page? If you do then you should see a list of additional plugins including Trackstat

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shozzer View Post
    Have you ticked the Unsupported Plugins box on the Plugins page? If you do then you should see a list of additional plugins including Trackstat

Steve
    You might also want to install the LMS DB Optimizer plugin. That made Trackstat, for me, usable again. I found that the server took ages to start and scan with Trackstat but this plugin seems to have made a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sto View Post
    I just removed Trackstat and hey presto a scan for new media completes in 90seconds. With no hang! Great tip thanks. Is it a known problem ?

@sto, did you get your Trackstat working again? I'm having the same problem as you and am trying to figure out how tp stop the db optimization while keeping Trackstat...

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
    Server: LMS 8.1.1 on an Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), 2 Booms
    Remote control apps: Material Skin (Web UI), but also SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Custom Browse, Multi Library

Quote Originally Posted by Shozzer View Post
    You might also want to install the LMS DB Optimizer plugin. That made Trackstat, for me, usable again. I found that the server took ages to start and scan with Trackstat but this plugin seems to have made a huge difference.
    I finally found out how to install the DB Optimizer plugin but I'm still seeing constant rescanning going on. Or are you saying that you didn't solve the rescanning problem but only made the scans go much faster?

Edit: I realise that the scans seems to be triggered by the custom scan plugin. So now I'm wondering why I even have that installed. Do I need it for Trackstat? I'm not sure what exactly it does. Looking at the plugin's wiki-page it seems quite low level (merely making various fields from the database available) so I assume it might be needed by other plugins? Custom browse, maybe?
    Last edited by chaug; 2021-06-24 at 02:10.
    Server: LMS 8.1.1 on an Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), 2 Booms
    Remote control apps: Material Skin (Web UI), but also SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Custom Browse, Multi Library