Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    747

    External Antenna on Rpi Model 3 with PiCorePlayer ? .....................

    Am I correct that you cannot add a USB type external antenna on a Model 3 Rpi running PiCorePlayer to increase WiFi range without modifying the Circuit Board of the Pi itself? --

    Or does a USB type External Antenna exist that you can simply plug in to Function?
    Last edited by Cut-Throat; 2021-05-09 at 10:03.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,845
    What you are looking for is a USB Wireless dongle WITH antenna. They do exist.
    If you can find one that is supported by piCorePlayer - it depends on the chipset used - then you’d switch off the Pi’s onboard WiFi.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    What you are looking for is a USB Wireless dongle WITH antenna. They do exist.
    If you can find one that is supported by piCorePlayer - it depends on the chipset used - then you’d switch off the Pi’s onboard WiFi.

    Yes, that is my question. Is there one supported by PiCorePlayer? Also, it appears from the PiCorePlayer Documentation that you DO NOT switch off the "Pi's onboard WiFi.

    Name:  WiFi - Pi.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  58.5 KB

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    Yes, that is my question. Is there one supported by PiCorePlayer? Also, it appears from the PiCorePlayer Documentation that you DO NOT switch off the "Pi's onboard WiFi.

    Name:  WiFi - Pi.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  58.5 KB
    The switch for the onboard WiFi is elsewhere in pCP but I cant look at present.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    The switch for the onboard WiFi is elsewhere in pCP but I cant look at present.
    Probably this. So, maybe one on and one off? -- Now all I have to do is find a USB WiFi Dongle compatible with PiCorePlayer.

    Name:  WiFi Switch.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  48.9 KB

  6. #6
    Senior Member kidstypike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brindle
    Posts
    4,577
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    The switch for the onboard WiFi is elsewhere in pCP but I cant look at present.
    Correct.

    If using a wifi dongle you would turn wifi on, but turn the in-built wifi off.

    Name:  wifi03.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  41.2 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

    Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Correct.

    If using a wifi dongle you would turn wifi on, but turn the in-built wifi off.
    So, the question remains. Do you know of a WiFi Dongle that is supported by PcP?

  8. #8
    Senior Member kidstypike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brindle
    Posts
    4,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    So, the question remains. Do you know of a WiFi Dongle that is supported by PcP?
    There's a very long list of working/non working dongles here https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/wifi-dongles but whether any of them have an antenna, I don't know.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

    Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    There's a very long list of working/non working dongles here https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/wifi-dongles but whether any of them have an antenna, I don't know.
    The problem with this list is most of them are very old. Before the Raspberry Pi even had WiFi (Which I understand).

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Astral Plane
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    The problem with this list is most of them are very old. Before the Raspberry Pi even had WiFi (Which I understand).
    I would imagine any wifi dongle that works with linux in general will work with the pi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •