Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

QLMS, EDO, SBT: Loses DAC

I run QNAP LMS (QLogitech Media Server via QNAP club store), an SBT, EDO, and an iFI xDSD. This ran great for a long time. However now the SBT does not see the DAC. In addition I do not see the option under Output to select the iFi, only Analog & Digital or Digital only.

Note that I rebooted and re-installed EDO and Kernel many times.

I factory reset, reloaded EDO and no luck.
    I switched to a Topping NX4 and no luck (Note: I used to get the option under Outputs to select the Topping)
    I tried an iFi Nano DSD and after rebooting, re-downloading the Kernel, I see the option for the iFi driver...but it only plays for 5 seconds and cuts out. This happened twice.
    I switch to Analog out of the SBT, bypass the DAC, and no problem. Plays fine.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks. chris
    Last edited by jcbenten; 2021-05-09 at 15:36. Reason: clarity

Hi Chris

As the connections used to work and now don't, you need to try a process of elimination

Using the Nano, first make sure the battery is charged

Then swap the usb connection lead

Then try adding a passive usb hub between the SBT and the Nano

If possible replace / change the power supply for the SBT

Hope this helps,

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Hi Chris

As the connections used to work and now don't, you need to try a process of elimination

Using the Nano, first make sure the battery is charged

Then swap the usb connection lead

Then try adding a passive usb hub between the SBT and the Nano

If possible replace / change the power supply for the SBT

Hope this helps,

ronnie
    Thanks for the response:
    Nano is bus-powered but it was discharged when I added it to the mix. Same methodolgy for the xDSD which has a separate power and i did not get any connection. I will revisit.
    USB connection lead: I have separate leads for the iFis (iFi supplied blue) and I swapped them in my tries.
    PS: I might have something else that fits but not holding my breath. Everything is working...if i start playing a tune the SBT shows it is playing...just no sound

...which makes me think:
    It is possible the USB port on the SBT has gone bad but the location is good and static. It literally did not move for 12+ months until I started messing with it. I purchased the SBT within months of it being released which makes it...10 years or more?

Everything is working...if i start playing a tune the SBT shows it is playing...just no sound
    have you check the Player volume settings ? Settings > Player > Audio > Volume output should be 100%

purchased the SBT within months of it being released which makes it...10 years or more
    Could be the power supply starting to fail

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    have you check the Player volume settings ? Settings > Player > Audio > Volume output should be 100%

Could be the power supply starting to fail

ronnie
    Volume @100%. For the Nano, iFi digital connection option shows, I select, auto reboot, and it plays for 5-seconds. The Digital Output now only shows the Analog and Digital or Digital only options...the iFi disappeared. This is why I am thinking it is a software issue and not a HW problem...unless the USB port on the SBT is failing. I do not think this would be indicative of a PS problem.