Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Currently have to reinstall LMS each time I restart my Mac

It seems that every time I restart my Mac mini, running Catalina, I have to reinstall LMS in order to be able to see the music files stored on an external hard drive. This is a real pain, but once I've re-installed LMS I'm able to scan the disc and build the music library.

If anyone can help with why this is happening and what the fix might be, I'd be very grateful.

Andrew

Currently have to reinstall LMSeach time I restart my Mac

> If anyone can help with why this is happening and what the fix might be,
    > I'd be very grateful.

I think the "need to grant LMS permission to access my drive" question
    is #1 in the Mac related questions asked around here. Search for
    "Catalina" or "Mojave" and you'll get some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I think the "need to grant LMS permission to access my drive" question
    is #1 in the Mac related questions asked around here. Search for
    "Catalina" or "Mojave" and you'll get some of them.
    I have done. I've succeeded in getting LMS to access the drive, but it won't do so again after a restart. Searching the forum, I haven't found discussion of this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by awl1 View Post
    I have done. I've succeeded in getting LMS to access the drive, but it won't do so again after a restart. Searching the forum, I haven't found discussion of this problem.
    are these helpful ?

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post954485

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post997161

ronnie

Thanks Ronnie, really helpful.

I've read through both of these threads but have maybe missed something, I'll look again and check.

Andrew

Hey Andrew

A while ago I update to Catalina on a Mac-mini and suffered the same problem

I used a slightly different way to locate the folders (from a blog post about hidden folders) but added Bash and Perl and everything worked fine.

From your post I started up the Mac-mini, I don't really use it much, and found that the folder on the usb stick was shown as empty by LMS.

Looking at the second link I realised that I had never added the separate Perl5.18 folder doh!

Sometimes things sink in slowly with me

Anyway, all good now

ronnie

Ronnie, I think we've both done the same thing and had the same trouble. I managed to get everything working and all was fine until I had to restart the Mac (I often just put it to sleep rather than shutting down) when the library disappeared. Sure enough, I hadn't managed to find Perl5.18 because it's not visible in the Mac's finder. I followed the exact instructions in the link, using Cmd + Shift + . (dot), and added Perl5.18 to give Full Disk Access. I've restarted the Mac a couple of times since and the LMS loaded the library fine... fingers crossed!

When it works, LMS and the Squeezebox Touch(es) I have do a fantastic job. It seems you do have to be prepared to dig down into the system to maintain LMS these days and I can see why some might be put off by that, but it all feels worth it now.

Thanks again for your help.