Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you leave your Touch powered up 24/7

I have had my Touch for a few weeks now and have been leaving it on 24/7 but wondering if that is the correct thing to do?

I have seen posts about the power supply getting flakey with age and wondering if I should kill ac power when not in use?

Do you leave yours plugged in all the time?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I have had my Touch for a few weeks now and have been leaving it on 24/7 but wondering if that is the correct thing to do?

I have seen posts about the power supply getting flakey with age and wondering if I should kill ac power when not in use?

Do you leave yours plugged in all the time?

Thanks.
    Yeah all my players(apart or spare radio with battery) has been on 24/7 most since around 2012.. That's beauty of having squeezeboxes always ready/on standby to play whenever you like. I cannot imagine powering on and waiting for it.. What about alarm clocks/scheduled music etc?
    Or what about weather screensaver/clock on touch?

Yeah make most out of it, don't think it consumes a lot of energy. I guess it's always lottery with failing gear, hopefully it will serve you a long time
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    Yeah all my players(apart or spare radio with battery) has been on 24/7 most since around 2012.. That's beauty of having squeezeboxes always ready/on standby to play whenever you like. I cannot imagine powering on and waiting for it.. What about alarm clocks/scheduled music etc?
    Or what about weather screensaver/clock on touch?

Yeah make most out of it, don't think it consumes a lot of energy. I guess it's always lottery with failing gear, hopefully it will serve you a long time
    Same here. Mine have been up 24/7 since I bought them. Actually my "Touch" is my alarm clock. So it's on. Display set at "low" during the night. The only one I've had a problem with was a Duet for which the display has worn out and become very dim. But that's a problem with all duets.

I purchased my Touch in August 2010 and it's been part of my system since then.

It's set to show the clock when not playing music and has been left plugged into the mains 24/7

In September 2020 I noticed the remote control receiver of the Touch was starting to play up, often the first sign of a failing PSU, I replaced the PSU in October, the replacement I purchased cost ú8.99

So the original PSU lasted 10 years and its replacement was not very expensive.

I can't think of any other electrical item in our house that has been continuously plugged in and has lasted as long... Doh! yes I can... My Squeezebox Boom, slightly longer in fact, been in service since 2009 and still going albeit with a screen thats got some faint lines across it.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    I purchased my Touch in August 2010 and it's been part of my system since then.

It's set to show the clock when not playing music and has been left plugged into the mains 24/7

In September 2020 I noticed the remote control receiver of the Touch was starting to play up, often the first sign of a failing PSU, I replaced the PSU in October, the replacement I purchased cost ú8.99

So the original PSU lasted 10 years and its replacement was not very expensive.

I can't think of any other electrical item in our house that has been continuously plugged in and has lasted as long... Doh! yes I can... My Squeezebox Boom, slightly longer in fact, been in service since 2009 and still going albeit with a screen thats got some faint lines across it.

Kev
    Yeah it's amazing.. I also cannot understand how is it possible that battery in my SB Radio has lasted almost 9years and still going strong.. 6h + of playback.. Any other battery operated devices I had regardless if constantly in use or not could not last half of that time..
    I'm only sad you cannot buy those original battery packs anymore, and doubt 3rd party ones will be as good
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Yeah it's amazing.. I also cannot understand how is it possible that battery in my SB Radio has lasted almost 9years and still going strong.. 6h + of playback.. Any other battery operated devices I had regardless if constantly in use or not could not last half of that time..
    I'm only sad you cannot buy those original battery packs anymore, and doubt 3rd party ones will be as good
    How often do you use your Radio on battery? My Radio which is normally plugged in and only occasionally used on battery is still on the original battery but the one that is used on battery every day is on battery number 3.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    How often do you use your Radio on battery? My Radio which is normally plugged in and only occasionally used on battery is still on the original battery but the one that is used on battery every day is on battery number 3.

It's mostly plugged in during colder months with short (up to hour) indoor battery use 2-3 times a week, but with good weather it's in garden on battery almost every day 3h+ each time. (sometimes 6h).

I bought another spare radio with battery (original) pack and it also seems to be going OK, although have no idea about it past owner use.

The only sign of wearing is that sometimes little battery icon on radio display.. Dissappears for short periods of time.. Unless that's just buggy soft/firmware

Out of interest..for when that day comes...hopefully not
    What brand do you buy/can recommend as replacement pack?

Out of interest..for when that day comes...hopefully not
    What brand do you buy/can recommend as replacement pack?
    This one seems quite good.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-s....m46890.l49286

This one seems quite good.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-s....m46890.l49286

Thanks
    PS Out of stock on eBay.. Amazon lists it at ú33.. I've bought 2nd hand battery pack with SB radio included for ú35

Still great there is option to replace it