Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Do you leave your Touch powered up 24/7
    Yes.

/Claus

I leave both mine powered on but in standby- ever since purchased 10 years ago. Standby screensaver is blank to preserve display (I did have a screen failure which Logitech replaced under warranty). Constantly powering electronic stuff on and off is likely to lead to thermal expansion/contraction failure (IMO).
    My old Slimp3 and SB still work too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my Touch players has been powered on continuously for at least 12 years (maybe once every few years there is a short power outage of less than an hour because of a storm or something). And use the digital clock screen saver as it also makes for a nice clock in its location. I've never had any issue with the display.

(note, I've had issues with fading screen etc. for my Booms, so I keep those screens OFF when not using and do the same with my Transporter (screen off), using BLANKSAVER plugin.)
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

I routinely place devices in standby, which is "turning them off" from the remotes. When turned on they power up instantly, since they aren't completely physically off. On occasion I completely power off the Transporter, having had to replace a power supply already. With the Touch, it routinely turns itself back on for some reason, and I'll only notice when cycling through the players on the remote control. It can be on but with the screen black, a different condition than off but it looks the same. The radio also turns itself on. I think it's because I live in the country with occasional micro-outs or surges on the power lines. Not usually enough to cause the clocks in the stove and microwave to require re-setting, but enough to get the Touch and Radio to ON.

The computers are all on UPSs, but I've not done that for the peripheral devices.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I'm likewise a 24/7 chap with all my SqueezeKit....... No power-related problems for many, many years. That said, for network / software etc etc reasons I do sometimes have to do a hard reboot of the units on the power side. Iirc, there was something recently that had me disconnecting the Radio battery to do a full pwoer cycle. But that was nothing to do with the power, as such.
    LMS 8.1.2 - 1622353561
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 4
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Riva Arena (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    I purchased my Touch in August 2010 and it's been part of my system since then.

It's set to show the clock when not playing music and has been left plugged into the mains 24/7

In September 2020 I noticed the remote control receiver of the Touch was starting to play up, often the first sign of a failing PSU, I replaced the PSU in October, the replacement I purchased cost ú8.99

So the original PSU lasted 10 years and its replacement was not very expensive.

I can't think of any other electrical item in our house that has been continuously plugged in and has lasted as long... Doh! yes I can... My Squeezebox Boom, slightly longer in fact, been in service since 2009 and still going albeit with a screen thats got some faint lines across it.

Kev
    Ok what you mention above is why I asked the question. I had read that the IR remote starts acting up when the power supply is getting long in the tooth. When I got my touch, I noticed the IR was more picky than my radios especially if you get too close.
    I found another adapter for $20.00 so I may pick one up just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Ok what you mention above is why I asked the question. I had read that the IR remote starts acting up when the power supply is getting long in the tooth. When I got my touch, I noticed the IR was more picky than my radios especially if you get too close.
    I found another adapter for $20.00 so I may pick one up just in case.
    Yeah I think the PSUs start to get noisy (electrically) and then the IR receiver plays up, in my case, day to day remote use of the Touch is using a Harmony remote (Activity programmed that turns on the Touch, turns on my sound bar and selects the correct input on the sound bar for the Touch, then Harmony remote operates Touch except for volume which is done on the sound bar), the Touch stopped responding to the Harmony hub, but did respond using a Squeezebox remote pointed directly at the Touch.

Changed the Touch PSU and it all started working with the Harmony hub as before.

Labelled up the old PSU and chucked it in the Squeeze"box" of bits - still powers up the Touch so might do a turn in future troubleshooting!

Talking of the box of bits, I forgot... I do have a 2nd user Touch in there that the screen is not as bright as my own purchased Touch, no idea of its history as I picked it up on eBay as a spare a while back, no idea if they dim over time but seems odd as Touch was released only a few months before I bought mine, so if longevity of use dims the screen them mine should be suffering.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KeBul View Post
    Yeah I think the PSUs start to get noisy (electrically) and then the IR receiver plays up, in my case, day to day remote use of the Touch is using a Harmony remote (Activity programmed that turns on the Touch, turns on my sound bar and selects the correct input on the sound bar for the Touch, then Harmony remote operates Touch except for volume which is done on the sound bar), the Touch stopped responding to the Harmony hub, but did respond using a Squeezebox remote pointed directly at the Touch.

Changed the Touch PSU and it all started working with the Harmony hub as before.

Labelled up the old PSU and chucked it in the Squeeze"box" of bits - still powers up the Touch so might do a turn in future troubleshooting!

Talking of the box of bits, I forgot... I do have a 2nd user Touch in there that the screen is not as bright as my own purchased Touch, no idea of its history as I picked it up on eBay as a spare a while back, no idea if they dim over time but seems odd as Touch was released only a few months before I bought mine, so if longevity of use dims the screen them mine should be suffering.

Kev
    Thanks I think I will go ahead and get a spare adapter. Not sure why but Touches are harder to come by than the radio but maybe one day I will find another for a backup as well....

Just a tip that it is better for any DC power supply to leave it on 24/7.

Energizing a power supply off and on will wear down the filters (which are usually electrolytics) faster than a steady rectified current will. And the filters used on most walwart supplies are probably on the cheaper side to begin with.

The same is true for the internal circuits of the instruments themselves. Capacitors wear better when kept fully energized. And capacitor failure is still the number one failure item on most electronic devices.

The best thing you can do for any supply and its supplied equipment, especially those with more fragile IC circuits, is to give it good transient protection. We typically dispose of most electronics from obsolescence than from damage and failures by observing this practice. We have several Touches here with now over a decade of trouble-free 24/7 operation.

The biggest long-term wear item on these may be the display illumination sources, especially so with the VFDs. And that can be moderated with judicious settings.

These devices use fairly standard spec supplies, so there are many options when one ever does fail.

Quote Originally Posted by sgmlaw View Post
    Just a tip that it is better for any DC power supply to leave it on 24/7.

Energizing a power supply off and on will wear down the filters (which are usually electrolytics) faster than a steady rectified current will. And the filters used on most walwart supplies are probably on the cheaper side to begin with.

The same is true for the internal circuits of the instruments themselves. Capacitors wear better when kept fully energized. And capacitor failure is still the number one failure item on most electronic devices.

The best thing you can do for any supply and its supplied equipment, especially those with more fragile IC circuits, is to give it good transient protection. We typically dispose of most electronics from obsolescence than from damage and failures by observing this practice. We have several Touches here with now over a decade of trouble-free 24/7 operation.

The biggest long-term wear item on these may be the display illumination sources, especially so with the VFDs. And that can be moderated with judicious settings.

These devices use fairly standard spec supplies, so there are many options when one ever does fail.
    Yes I agree with that as I have UPS units on all of my pc's and servers The Touch already has a surge on it, but I do have a little spare ups I can put on it as well. Yes I am worried about the screen going dim, I wish you could really turn it off when not in use. The little amp I just bought to go with the Touch has a OLED but the good thing is you can turn it off after X seconds which I do.

Thanks for the advice......