Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Qobuz 24/96 sound quality

I am sure Hi Res content on Qobuz sounds great when the source material is good. They (and others) have recently made available a Hi Res version of "Even In The Quietest Moments" by Supertramp. You can read what the Steve Hoffman forum make of it here.
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...t-out.1054327/
    Honestly what is the point of releasing a Hi Res version of a remaster with vastly reduced dynamic range compared to older CD versions.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Well, I think it is a casualty of "Hi-Fi" these days being defined as mobiles with bundled headphones and cheap bluetooth speakers with masters being made to suit. I'm with you on that a Hi-Def remaster, or any loss less version really, should be something else but my guess is that maintaining different masters or pushing users to enable compression on their dynamics challenged playback devices is not happening.

I'm new to Qobuz but have read that they are a bit hit-n-miss when it comes to quality, but I guess they are using the same masters as everyone else. But since they are profiling themselves as a Hi-Def service I think they would benefit from being more selective with their material. Then again try pleasing an audiophile

I bought an original West German AM+ CD of Even In The Quietest Moments and checked the dynamic range using TT-DR offline and the first track of my CD measures 13, while the 24/96 Hi Res from Qobuz measures 7. Not even close.

Qobuz work with whatever the copyright holder submits, just like all the other streaming platforms.
    They're not the creators of the perceived issue.
    Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Qobuz work with whatever the copyright holder submits, just like all the other streaming platforms.
    They're not the creators of the perceived issue.
    It does make a mockery of Hi Res content though.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    It does make a mockery of Hi Res content though.

A high resolution recording has very little to do with bit depth and sample rate.
    Mastering is all important.
    From what you've described the mastering is poor, therefore it cannot be a Hi Res release.
    It's just a higher bit depth and sample rate transfer of a mediocre recording.

Got some great songs on it
    Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    A high resolution recording has very little to do with bit depth and sample rate.
    Mastering is all important.
    From what you've described the mastering is poor, therefore it cannot be a Hi Res release.
    It's just a higher bit depth and sample rate transfer of a mediocre recording.

Got some great songs on it
    I am not sure if I understand what you are saying here correctly, but indeed the digital recording format is something different than the distribution format.

A so calles 'hires version' of an album with a bad mastering will still sound bad.... It goes the other way around as well: a good mastering will sound fine in both regular CD format (16/44.1) and hires. You can even go one step further if you wish: convert hires audio properly to 16/44.1 and I am sure you won't hear any difference when doing an ABX test.

If you listen to the same album and you hear differences between lossless streaming services like Qobuz and f.e. Spotify, this almost always caused by different masterings and not because of the distribution/audio format.
    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.2.0 on Xubuntu 21.04