Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,220
    Hat is a very generically used term, it uses the 40pin header, although it is not mounted over the top of the rpi.
    Oled screen with integrated remote
    The case is setup for a pi4.

    pCP will run it just fine.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    130
    Well, HAT implies adherence to some physical standards, and Allo is not stipulating one way or the other about whether the Boss2 meets the HAT spec, so the answer seems ot be no. I know pCP will run it fine.

    Allo has few details on the Boss2, certainly fewer than the previous Boss.

    What I want to know is if I can buy just the DAC (seems no), and whether that DAC will generally stack on a 40 pin header (maybe yes), whether the oled display is detachable/optional (no idea) and if the DAC has just RCA outs, or also has an analog line out pin header (also no idea).

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    4,436
    Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    Well, HAT implies adherence to some physical standards, and Allo is not stipulating one way or the other about whether the Boss2 meets the HAT spec, so the answer seems ot be no. I know pCP will run it fine.

    Allo has few details on the Boss2, certainly fewer than the previous Boss.

    What I want to know is if I can buy just the DAC (seems no), and whether that DAC will generally stack on a 40 pin header (maybe yes), whether the oled display is detachable/optional (no idea) and if the DAC has just RCA outs, or also has an analog line out pin header (also no idea).
    This might help

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNpB7jURrfE

    ronnie

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    130
    That's super helpful. Thanks.

    So, not HAT compliant, and the display appears to be soldered on. Boss2 does connect directly to the 40 pin GPIO header, but 180 degrees off, so that the Boss2 and the Pi point away from each other rather than stacking. Couldn't see if there's a pin header for line outs, but seems doubtful.

    This is definitely intended to be a fixed-use-case/fixed-configuration install-and-go design rather than something that could readily be adapted for DIY.

    Best I can tell, they needed more board real estate for this design than HAT compliant would provide, though I don't fully understand the reasons behind the cantilevered configuration rather than stacked. Guessing that overall enclosure form factor influenced that.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,295
    I bought an Allo Boss2 and Man in a Van helped me get it playing - https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1018140 and following pages. Also Allo support is here https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/f...?ct=1619958304 - there are several threads on the Boss2.

    I got the acrylic case and mounted a P1 4 in it. benh is correct, it is not a "hat" but connects to a rPi by the 40 pin connector and the little display is not very useful, neither is the remote (or at least I did not find them useful).

    How does it sound - well I have the Boss 2 and a Boss 1.2 on two different inputs to my amp, synchronised and both running pCP7, so I can swap between to compare, and I could not hear any great difference , but the dogs were barking and my wife was yelling to turn it down at my first listening session. Since then I have just used the Boss2.

    edit: I ordered direct from Allo and my parcel sat at Mumbai for 15 days before being dispatched on a flight to Australia. Since then Covid has got pretty bad in India so be aware that there may be delays.
    Last edited by Wirrunna; 2021-05-02 at 05:40. Reason: added a bit about delays
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

    Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

  6. #16
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,220
    The display and remote should be easily editable as to function.

    Edit****

    Just looked at the code, the remote function can be removed from the display. The IR is connected to GPIO16, so you could use any remote, and use the normal IR interface that we have in pCP/jivelite/squeezelite. I'll make ir a command line option to disable from the display.

    For pCP users, I'm cleaning up the code here: https://github.com/piCorePlayer/allo_boss2_oled_p3
    Last edited by paul-; 2021-05-02 at 08:25.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    The display and remote should be easily editable as to function.

    Edit****

    Just looked at the code, the remote function can be removed from the display. The IR is connected to GPIO16, so you could use any remote, and use the normal IR interface that we have in pCP/jivelite/squeezelite. I'll make ir a command line option to disable from the display.

    For pCP users, I'm cleaning up the code here: https://github.com/piCorePlayer/allo_boss2_oled_p3
    I look forward to trying this out. Will you advise when ready in this thread ?

    Also, https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss2.html shows the acrylic case. It is only for a rPi4 . Relatively easy to mount the rPi 4, certainly much easier than the video of the aluminium case. It is an utilitarian little shiny case and the black surface shows every fingermark. Thgere is a hatch on the bottom that allows access to the rPI 4 for changing SD cards. There is no visible LED indicator to show the device is powered, only the rather sparse display on the OLED panel. I intend to mount it out of sight as I use a second pCP with the 7" official display to control it. I use the internal rPI wifi and it works perfectly, the aluminium case would act as a Faraday cage which is why the suggest an external wifi dongle.
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

    Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

  8. #18
    Senior Member bakker_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kwaadmechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirrunna View Post
    I look forward to trying this out. Will you advise when ready in this thread ?

    Also, https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss2.html shows the acrylic case. It is only for a rPi4 . Relatively easy to mount the rPi 4, certainly much easier than the video of the aluminium case. It is an utilitarian little shiny case and the black surface shows every fingermark. Thgere is a hatch on the bottom that allows access to the rPI 4 for changing SD cards. There is no visible LED indicator to show the device is powered, only the rather sparse display on the OLED panel. I intend to mount it out of sight as I use a second pCP with the 7" official display to control it. I use the internal rPI wifi and it works perfectly, the aluminium case would act as a Faraday cage which is why the suggest an external wifi dongle.
    That's something else. The new device is the Boss2 Player (https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss2-player.html) which is all-in-one. The aluminium version includes: Pi4 + DAC + case + display +remote.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

  9. #19
    Senior Member Greg Erskine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,314
    bakker_be, I think they may have changed their product marketing in the last week or so.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,295
    Just found a review of this streamer
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...treamer.22916/
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

    Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •