Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    How one wonders? There isn’t that much pre encoded stuff available is there? Is it the same playlist as main mix?
    I've not heard the MQA Radio Paradise stream but as the MQA process can be applied to Albums in a "batch process" I guess that this is done to the stream.

Or, as Tidal is applying this "Batch Process" to all CD files it supplies, perhaps RP just uses that "converted" playlist

Or something

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I've not heard the MQA Radio Paradise stream but as the MQA process can be applied to Albums in a "batch process" I guess that this is done to the stream.

Or, as Tidal is applying this "Batch Process" to all CD files it supplies, perhaps RP just uses that "converted" playlist

Or something

ronnie
    Kinda puts the lie to the "authenticated" part of MQA, doesn't it? No involvement whatsoever by the original musicians or mastering engineers in an automated batch process...
    piTouch™ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

There are three 'folds' IIRC that MQA makes to the file, two of which can be unfolded by software and the third fold requires MQA hardware.

It is a solution to a problem that really no longer exists for most of us - they were trying (in 2013) to reduce the size of high quality files like FLAC so they could be streamed over limited bandwidth internet connections. A strreamed FLAC file probably runs to 5Mbps maximum so for most homes today with fibre broadband there is no need to bother with MQA, just stream lossless.

They claim MQA improves the sound even though it is a lossy format and it could be the final result sounds better to some ears, hence the controversy.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Or something

ronnie
    So after they apply the MQA process to an album it miraculously sounds better I suppose. Or it sounds worse until you play it back on an MQA certified DAC to make it sound exactly the same as it did before

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    So they apply the MQA process to an album

I have to say that this is whot I read ont'interweb

But it make sense that it has to be a process similar to this, as doing a remix using the real, original master for each Album would be / is a time consuming process. If the masters still exist, can be located, still play

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    There are three 'folds' IIRC that MQA makes to the file, two of which can be unfolded by software and the third fold requires MQA hardware.

It is a solution to a problem that really no longer exists for most of us - they were trying (in 2013) to reduce the size of high quality files like FLAC so they could be streamed over limited bandwidth internet connections. A strreamed FLAC file probably runs to 5Mbps maximum so for most homes today with fibre broadband there is no need to bother with MQA, just stream lossless.

They claim MQA improves the sound even though it is a lossy format and it could be the final result sounds better to some ears, hence the controversy.
    I think one of the drivers for MQA is harvesting licensing revenue at various stages of the MQA encoding/decoding process...

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I think one of the drivers for MQA is harvesting licensing revenue at various stages of the MQA encoding/decoding process...

Robert
    That must be the only driver. Nothing else makes sense. Has anyone said MQA is better than lossless?

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    That must be the only driver. Nothing else makes sense. Has anyone said MQA is better than lossless?

MQA Themselves !

https://www.mqa.co.uk/newsroom/faqs/is-mqa-lossless

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post

Where's Mandy Rice-Davies when she's needed

Where's Mandy Rice-Davies when she's needed
    Brilliant
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes