Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    late to the party on this, but to summarize what I do for multidisk sets.

1. In dbpa ripping, I make sure album title is the same for all discs, and use the disc numbering tag (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). I do not use the disc total tag (there is a setting in dbpa to not use this).

2. In LMS I have the option to treat multidisk albums as a single album.

All of this works perfectly for me. But I see that you want the opposite. You want LMS to treat each disc of a multidisc as a separate album. As others have noted, I'd think that giving each disc a unique name would work (i.e., adding CD1, CD2, etc. at the end of the title). But also, you would NOT use disc number tag in this case. As each of these discs is actually a single disc, not a multiple disc the way you are handling things. That is, "Album Name CD1" is a single disc CD, and "Album Name CD2" is a different single disc album. I would leave the disc number blank in these cases. Also be sure the total disc tag is blank for all these. I've had some stray disc total tags cause me headaches (causing single sets to be broken up into different albums) until I discovered the tag existence.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Are the album title tags exactly the same for both discs in the 2 disc sets?
    They are, which is where the confusion sets in.

I've been cleaning up a lot of tags since installing LMS (years in the making) and have noticed that changes sometimes goes halfway trough or cause odd results until the library is refreshed a few times. Anyways I have them as separates now which, like BJW, I like better, feels safe

Quote Originally Posted by v2k View Post
    They are, which is where the confusion sets in.

I've been cleaning up a lot of tags since installing LMS (years in the making) and have noticed that changes sometimes goes halfway trough or cause odd results until the library is refreshed a few times. Anyways I have them as separates now which, like BJW, I like better, feels safe
    Sometimes a clear and rescan is required after changing tags or strange things happen

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    late to the party on this, but to summarize what I do for multidisk sets.

1. In dbpa ripping, I make sure album title is the same for all discs, and use the disc numbering tag (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). I do not use the disc total tag (there is a setting in dbpa to not use this).

2. In LMS I have the option to treat multidisk albums as a single album.

All of this works perfectly for me. But I see that you want the opposite. You want LMS to treat each disc of a multidisc as a separate album. As others have noted, I'd think that giving each disc a unique name would work (i.e., adding CD1, CD2, etc. at the end of the title). But also, you would NOT use disc number tag in this case. As each of these discs is actually a single disc, not a multiple disc the way you are handling things. That is, "Album Name CD1" is a single disc CD, and "Album Name CD2" is a different single disc album. I would leave the disc number blank in these cases. Also be sure the total disc tag is blank for all these. I've had some stray disc total tags cause me headaches (causing single sets to be broken up into different albums) until I discovered the tag existence.
    I would actually be happy to treat multidisk albums as a single album. All album titles are the same; all have the disc number set correctly (albeit with the disc total, as in 1/5). I wouldn't think that latter would make a difference.

However, in the standard LMS front end, the tracks are not sorted by disc, but rather by track number, with all the 1s grouped together, then the 2s and so on.

In the past I've given each disc a different name, exactly as others have suggested, appending disc1 or disc 2 or whatever to the end of the album name. I thought it might be better to treat the set as one album but sorted by disc number, so tried that out. But it didn't work the way I wanted it to.

It seems Material Skin would do what I want, but it's not coming up for me in standard LMS, at least as interpreted by Squeeze Control.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

After losing a track from disc 1 in a multi disc set because the studio version was at the same position on disc 1 as a live version on disc 2 I have changed dbpa settings slightly. In case you are wondering both tracks had identical names so the disc 2 rip overwrote the disc 1 file.

I now have dbpa set to write track file names as disc#_track#_title.FLAC. I do have to remember to ensure that the disc number is set correctly before ripping though. I operate a single album approach
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I would actually be happy to treat multidisk albums as a single album. All album titles are the same; all have the disc number set correctly (albeit with the disc total, as in 1/5). I wouldn't think that latter would make a difference.

However, in the standard LMS front end, the tracks are not sorted by disc, but rather by track number, with all the 1s grouped together, then the 2s and so on.
    Hmmm, I don't ever have that problem. The tracks are listed in disc order. See picture The actual file names are: track - title.flac. (note the listings in LMS show the disc number and any track comment is shown after the track name (I think that's a display setting within LMS)

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 66
Size:  179.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    After losing a track from disc 1 in a multi disc set because the studio version was at the same position on disc 1 as a live version on disc 2 I have changed dbpa settings slightly. In case you are wondering both tracks had identical names so the disc 2 rip overwrote the disc 1 file.
    )
    I now have dbpa set to write track file names as disc#_track#_title.FLAC. I do have to remember to ensure that the disc number is set correctly before ripping though. I operate a single album approach
    I don't do that, but maybe the difference is that when ripping in dbpa, I have the discs in different disc subdirectories below the album:

The Kinks/Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire [Deluxe Edition]/Disc 1/01 - Victoria (2019 Stereo Remaster).flac
    then anything in Disc 2, would be same except in an Disc 2 subfolder.

note that I wouldn't normally put the "2019 Stereo Remaster" in the track title, but I also have a different version of this album, and if a track is playing in random mode, I can tell which album it is from just by seeing the track name. I do this extra info only when I have multiple versions of an album, or multiple versions of a song on the same album.

p.s. I lied before. I do have both discnumber and disctotal tags (in the above case discnumber is either 1 or 2, and disctotal is 2. (my misremembering is when I rip a single disc (and leave disc number blank), then rerip only one track and forget and leave disk number as 1 of 1, then delete the disc number tag for that track but forget to delete the disctotal tag. And then LMS treats the album as two different albums because there is a single tag in that one track that differs.
    Last edited by garym; 2021-05-02 at 06:26.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

So, it seems something wonky was happening with Squeeze Control. I just went to the web interface and the sort was fine, as disc#/track#. I then went back to Squeeze Control and the sort was fine there as well. Perhaps I had been hallucinating.

Or, more likely, I had turned on shuffle and didn't notice.

Sorry!

R
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    So, it seems something wonky was happening with Squeeze Control. I just went to the web interface and the sort was fine, as disc#/track#. I then went back to Squeeze Control and the sort was fine there as well. Perhaps I had been hallucinating.

Or, more likely, I had turned on shuffle and didn't notice.

Sorry!

R
    Whatever the reason, good to hear it's working!