Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disc numbers in a set

Refresh my memory, I can't find the thread that I know addresses this.

I have a box set (Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 1), and am ripping it with dBpoweramp. The titles of each disc come up as identical, and that's fine. However, no disc numbering defaults in, they are all 1/1. I want to use 1/5, 2/5, etc.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can set so that they show up as separate discs in LMS? As it stands, they are all lumped together, so there are 5 track 1s and 5 track 2s, etc.

There's another interesting thing. I'm ripping them to three different locations/hard drives at once. Two of these are flac archives one is mp3. When I check the files with mp3tag the disc number for the flac rips is just "1", in the mp3 archive it's "1/5", and so on for discs 2, 3, 4 and 5. The rip setting is the latter format, but the "5" is not showing up in the flac tags.

Ron
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Refresh my memory, I can't find the thread that I know addresses this.

I have a box set (Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 1), and am ripping it with dBpoweramp. The titles of each disc come up as identical, and that's fine. However, no disc numbering defaults in, they are all 1/1. I want to use 1/5, 2/5, etc.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can set so that they show up as separate discs in LMS? As it stands, they are all lumped together, so there are 5 track 1s and 5 track 2s, etc.

There's another interesting thing. I'm ripping them to three different locations/hard drives at once. Two of these are flac archives one is mp3. When I check the files with mp3tag the disc number for the flac rips is just "1", in the mp3 archive it's "1/5", and so on for discs 2, 3, 4 and 5. The rip setting is the latter format, but the "5" is not showing up in the flac tags.

Ron
    You can change the disc number manually to anything you want, either at the time of ripping or later with MP3tag. I have never seen any advantage in using 1/5 etc generally just use a single number.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes, I suspected that.

But the big question is how I get LMS to see the separate disc numbers as separate albums. As of now, despite having that tag, they are all coming up in a single list, all five discs combined. There must be a way.

R.
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Yes, I suspected that.

But the big question is how I get LMS to see the separate disc numbers as separate albums. As of now, despite having that tag, they are all coming up in a single list, all five discs combined. There must be a way.

R.
    If you want all multi disc albums to appear as separate albums there is a setting in
    settings/My Music (Behaviour in Material skin)

If there was an option to treat them as sequential parts of a single long album, that would work; the problem is that even though the switch is apparently to not treat the discs as separate albums, the sequencing doesn't work well, with multiples of each track number. If they were listed as a single album but with tracks handled like Disc#/Track#, e.g. 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 . . . 5/12, all would be well.

I'll check that setting and see what happens.

R.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

If there was an option to treat them as sequential parts of a single long album, that would work; the problem is that even though the switch is apparently to not treat the discs as separate albums, the sequencing doesn't work well, with multiples of each track number. If they were listed as a single album but with tracks handled like Disc#/Track#, e.g. 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 . . . 5/12, all would be well.

I'll check that setting and see what happens.

R.
    If you have disc numbers and track numbers they should be ordered by disc. In Material skin the list is also separated into individual discs. Have you ripped each disc into a separate folder? I don't think it matters but you never know.

I use the Disc# tag on my multi-disk albums and for file names on multi-disc sets I name the files [disc#] [track#] [song title]. This way they also show correctly in file manager.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

My own personal preference is to put the disc number explicitly in the album title bc I like to see one artwork per cd. If it's a two cd set I do it like this:

The Wall (CD1)
    The Wall (CD2)

If it's 3 or more I do it like this:

Crossroads (Disc 1)
    Crossroads (Disc 4)

This is of course an anathema to some, but I love it, and it gives the same exp in all apps. Also allows me to strip all the various disc frames/fields from the tags.
    Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

The "album grouping" function seems to be a bit, um... selective. I changed it to show multiple sets as separate albums after failing to figure out why LMS grouped some of them differently. It is not as neat now but hopefully my sanity will keep a bit longer.
    I had three albums giving me trouble, two 2-disc sets with one artist in each set and one 4-disc set with various artists. One of the 2-disc sets showed as one album, the other two came out as separates. This despite the folders being named (Album CD1) and the files tagged (Disc 1 of 2) the same way for all three sets.

This is in the standard skin on the LMS machine if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by v2k View Post
    The "album grouping" function seems to be a bit, um... selective. I changed it to show multiple sets as separate albums after failing to figure out why LMS grouped some of them differently. It is not as neat now but hopefully my sanity will keep a bit longer.
    I had three albums giving me trouble, two 2-disc sets with one artist in each set and one 4-disc set with various artists. One of the 2-disc sets showed as one album, the other two came out as separates. This despite the folders being named (Album CD1) and the files tagged (Disc 1 of 2) the same way for all three sets.

This is in the standard skin on the LMS machine if that matters.
    Are the album title tags exactly the same for both discs in the 2 disc sets?