Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    @DLD-UK

Start from the beginning

Which ubuntu did you install on the pi and is it headless or a desktop version?

and please provide the link to the download image

ronnie
    The ubuntu version is 20.10 server headless. It was downloaded by the Raspberry Pi imager software so I can't provide a link. It is running fine. In fact I am impressed with how well it runs on the Pi which is a Pi 4 with 8GB.

I tried the LTS version which is what I really wanted but that would not boot from the SSD. I don't know why but I guess it is just not as up to date as 20.10.

MiniDLNA was also a dream to install. My only problem is getting LMS to install. I have followed all the instructions I have found on the Internet and done an uninstall between each attempt.

With all of the instructions I have followed I end up with the same result. LMS appears to be installed but dies as soon as it is started.

I thought the most likely issue was the version of Perl and I'm sure I'm missing some Perl libraries. I could not find which version of Perl LMS 8.1.1 wants? I updated Perl to the latest version and tried again but it still failed

I've been running LMS 8.1.1 on Windows for a while and never had an issue so I don't have a clue how to work out why it is failing on Ubuntu.

@DLD-UK

Thanks for that

I earlier downloaded the 32 bit server

Name:  ubuntu server.png
Views: 62
Size:  58.0 KB

and installed LMS v 8.1.2

I can confirm that it does start but is not accessable from a web gui.

Code:
    ● logitechmediaserver.service - LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server
         Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver; generated)
         Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-04-29 21:49:27 UTC; 4min 31s ago
           Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
        Process: 2690 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
          Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
         Memory: 960.0K
         CGroup: /system.slice/logitechmediaserver.service
                 ├─2697 /bin/bash /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver_safe /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /var/lib/>
                 └─3286 sleep 5

Apr 29 21:49:27 ubuntu systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server...
    Apr 29 21:49:27 ubuntu logitechmediaserver[2690]: Making sure that Logitech Media Server is not running first:
    Apr 29 21:49:27 ubuntu logitechmediaserver[2694]: No process in pidfile '/var/run/logitechmediaserver.pid' found running; none killed.
    Apr 29 21:49:27 ubuntu logitechmediaserver[2690]: Starting Logitech Media Server.
    Apr 29 21:49:27 ubuntu systemd[1]: Started LSB: Startup script for the Logitech Media Server.
    I reference the previous link

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...n-Ubuntu-20-04

but I'm not sure of the exact procedure to apply the provided information.

If I have time tomorrow I'll try and look at it again, but don't hold your breath, as I'm a linux numpty,especially with Ubuntu.

I think this is purely an Ubuntu problem

ronnie

It would be nice of someone familiar with Ubuntu to step in here

Are you UK or Stateside ? Just for comms

Thank you.

I'm in the UK.

Sorry, wrong info before.

Stop the service and then run "sudo squeezeboxserver --help" and you'll get the list of modules that failed to load. Can't list them now, gotta run. Will update later. Not sure I got it to run in the end, oh well I'll report back soon.

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by v2k View Post
    Sorry, wrong info before.

Stop the service and then run "sudo squeezeboxserver --help" and you'll get the list of modules that failed to load. Can't list them now, gotta run. Will update later. Not sure I got it to run in the end, oh well I'll report back soon.

Take care!
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/var/lib$ sudo  squeezeboxserver start
    The following modules failed to load: DBI EV XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser JSON::XS Digest::SHA1 YAML::XS Sub::Name

This is perl 5, version 32, subversion 1 (v5.32.1) built for arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    (with 46 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2021, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
    this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

NOTE:

If you're running some unsupported Linux/Unix platform, please use the buildme.sh
    script located here:

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/tree/public/8.1/CPAN

If 8.1 is outdated by the time you read this, Replace "8.1" with the major version
    You should never need to do this if you're on Windows or Mac OSX. If the installers
    don't work for you, ask for help and/or report a bug.

Exiting..
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/var/lib$
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2021-04-30 at 06:50.

@ DLD-UK

I have spent two hours this afternoon and I can't get LMS to run, it always "dies starting"

It's beyound my pay grade I'm sorry to say

I have a vauge memory that the Desktop version allows for LMS to be added to a "Start up" folder, but I don't know if this raspberry pi desktop version does

ronnie

Thanks guys for your help.

Does this mean that LMS wants a specific version of Perl? I really don't know how to interpret it. At least it looks like I wasn't doing anything stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by DLD-UK View Post
    Thanks guys for your help.

Does this mean that LMS wants a specific version of Perl? I really don't know how to interpret it. At least it looks like I wasn't doing anything stupid!
    Well I just came back to this thread about 15 minutes ago and picked up a sd card I had discarded as not working

I popped it into the rpi 4b to check out the perl version, I ran ifconfig to get the IP Address but it was not installed (and neither was the ethernet cable )

Connected to the network, added net-tools and alsa-utils, rebooted and the installed LMS version 8.2 over the top of 8.1.2.

I noticed this line

Code:
    Unpacking logitechmediaserver (8.2.0~1619728313) over (8.1.2~1619728303) ...
    Setting up logitechmediaserver (8.2.0~1619728313) ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/default/logitechmediaserver ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/squeezeboxserver/convert.conf ...
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/logitechmediaserver.service → /lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service.
    which ran a bell from my earlier hacking.

Connect a Squeezebox Radio, installed Radio Paradise and it worked.

Rebooted and it still works

Waddayaknow !!

ronnie

I'll have to bow out and leave it to the man in the van. I've tried installing a bunch of perl modules but so far without luck but at least it got my memory working. My installations of LMS 8.1.1 and their results:
    Ubuntu server 20.04 and 18.04 on intel - LMS and local player plugin works.
    Raspberry PI OS (current...) - LMS works, can not get local player to output audio, works if I manually start the bin.
    Ubuntu server 20.04 and 18.04 on raspberry - can not get LMS to work.

I don't have the PI OS install any more but the ubuntus run perl 5.26.1 or 5.30. It is probably related to perl somehow but I don't know enough about it to tell.

Sorry, hope you get it working!

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Well I just came back to this thread about 15 minutes ago and picked up a sd card I had discarded as not working

I popped it into the rpi 4b to check out the perl version, I ran ifconfig to get the IP Address but it was not installed (and neither was the ethernet cable )

Connected to the network, added net-tools and alsa-utils, rebooted and the installed LMS version 8.2 over the top of 8.1.2.

I noticed this line

Code:
    Unpacking logitechmediaserver (8.2.0~1619728313) over (8.1.2~1619728303) ...
    Setting up logitechmediaserver (8.2.0~1619728313) ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/default/logitechmediaserver ...
    Installing new version of config file /etc/squeezeboxserver/convert.conf ...
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/logitechmediaserver.service → /lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service.
    which ran a bell from my earlier hacking.

Connect a Squeezebox Radio, installed Radio Paradise and it worked.

Rebooted and it still works

Waddayaknow !!

ronnie
    I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that installing LMS 8.2 works?