Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need Help getting LMS to run on Ubuntu on Pi 4

I've been searching the internet for instructions on how to get LMS to run on a Pi 4 using Ubuntu.

It is a long time since I've used the command line on Linux but the Pi is a headless machine so I am back into that world. It's a big learning/re-learning curve!!

It took a while to get Ubuntu to boot off of the SSD in an Argon One M2 case. I also had to rename all my music files to match Linux naming conventions.

I chose Ubuntu as I also need to run a DLNA server as well. I understand that there is a way of getting LMS to act as a DLNA server but I couldn't work out whether or not that was a good idea. Besides, I need to build a Ubuntu PVR so I had to learn it anyway.

I've tried to follow the instructions I've found on installing LMS on the Pi/Ubuntu. It appears to install without errors but then nothing works. Looking in the log file all I get is endless messages saying "Logitech Media Server died". What I can't find out is why?

Clearly I have done something totally wrong but I have no idea what? I also have no idea what steps to take to find out?

Looking for a DLNA server I decided to install MiniDLNA. I have no idea whether that is a good choice(?) but it installed an ran without any problems.

Any help much appreciated.

There must be more information in the log than just "Logitech Media Server died". Likely a perl or perl library issue. Make sure you have installed "libio-socket-ssl-perl" at a minimum.

What version of ubuntu, and what perl version is it using (perl -v) ?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DLD-UK View Post
    I've been searching the internet for instructions on how to get LMS to run on a Pi 4 using Ubuntu.

Looking for a DLNA server I decided to install MiniDLNA. I have no idea whether that is a good choice(?) but it installed an ran without any problems.

Any help much appreciated.
    Are you using a version from here ?

https://ubuntu.com/raspberry-pi

I have used minimserver on the raspberry PI OS Buster Desktop without problems

ronnie

I just did this but still can't remember much

My issue was that LMS was seen as running but I couldn't connect to it. It turned out that a bunch of perl libraries was missing. If you stop the service (sudo service logitechmediaserver stop) and then run it manually (squeezeboxserver) it ought to tell you what's missing.

How did you have to change the filenames? As far as I know Linux filenames are quite forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    There must be more information in the log than just "Logitech Media Server died". Likely a perl or perl library issue. Make sure you have installed "libio-socket-ssl-perl" at a minimum.

Ubuntu is 20.10 (I couldn't get the LTS version to boot from the SSD) Perl is v5.30.3

Quote Originally Posted by v2k View Post
    I just did this but still can't remember much

My issue was that LMS was seen as running but I couldn't connect to it. It turned out that a bunch of perl libraries was missing. If you stop the service (sudo service logitechmediaserver stop) and then run it manually (squeezeboxserver) it ought to tell you what's missing.

How did you have to change the filenames? As far as I know Linux filenames are quite forgiving.
    It took me a while to figure out what was going on but the copying of files from my SSD backup from Windows to the Ubuntu SSD would only copy some files. I'm not sure of all the issues but I think the & in a folder name was causing some of the problems. I got no copy errors, but the file copying just stopped.

Bulk Rename Utility is the most wonderful software for sorting such things out.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post

I upgraded to Perl v5.30.3. Not sure why a fresh install of Ubuntu followed by all updates had a older version but so be it.

However, it still doesn't work. What libraries do I need to install.

The only errors I am getting in the log is that the server died and is restarting. That is just continuous.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Are you using a version from here ?

https://ubuntu.com/raspberry-pi

I have used minimserver on the raspberry PI OS Buster Desktop without problems

ronnie

As you did not reply to my question, maybe this will help (or maybe not )

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...n-Ubuntu-20-04

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    As you did not reply to my question, maybe this will help (or maybe not )

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...n-Ubuntu-20-04

ronnie
    Sorry, I didn't reply because I didn't understand your post. I went to the link and didn't find anything about LMS and Ubuntu is working fine. What was I missing?

I got LMS from the standard LMS download site.

I have read the link you posted now but I am still looking for a definitive guide to installing LMS on Ubuntu. Everything I find is so confusing and I've removed everything a number of times and started again, without success.

One of the most confusing things is that all the instructions talk about Logitechmediaserver and Squeezebox server. That makes it very difficult to know what to search for.

It is not clear to me whether the postings I find on the Internet are referring to the latest versions or old versions.

I'm sure I am missing some Perl libraries but which? Why are they not installed as part of LMS?

One poster on the Internet I've followed said that he got everything to work except for a firewall issue. I disabled the firewall to ensure it wasn't that. Still no joy.

So, I am completely lost! I assume LMS has a way of posting more debug information to tell me why it keeps dying, but I don't know how to get that info?

@DLD-UK

Start from the beginning

Which ubuntu did you install on the pi and is it headless or a desktop version?

and please provide the link to the download image

ronnie