Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Using a playlist for file conversion

I have a large collection of FLAC files, and have created a playlist of all my favorites. I would like to convert the songs on my favorites list to MP3 to carry around. Does anyone know of a tool to read a playlist and convert only those songs on the list? Doing it manually would be a big job since these songs are all in folders and subfolders. I use DBPoweramp for encoding and conversion chores and have inquired to SPOON if such a feature is possible, but it doesn't seem to be on his hitlist. Any clues?

Quote Originally Posted by nyindieguy View Post
    I have a large collection of FLAC files, and have created a playlist of all my favorites. I would like to convert the songs on my favorites list to MP3 to carry around. Does anyone know of a tool to read a playlist and convert only those songs on the list? Doing it manually would be a big job since these songs are all in folders and subfolders. I use DBPoweramp for encoding and conversion chores and have inquired to SPOON if such a feature is possible, but it doesn't seem to be on his hitlist. Any clues?
    I wonder if foobar2000 will do this?
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

I have a large collection of FLAC files, and have created a playlist of all my favorites. I would like to convert the songs on my favorites list to MP3 to carry around. Does anyone know of a tool to read a playlist and convert only those songs on the list? Doing it manually would be a big job since these songs are all in folders and subfolders. Any clues?
    A Python script for exactly this is available here.
    Various SW: Web Interface | TUI | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

If you prefer a GUI approach, Mediamonkey can do this, and I'd be amazed if Foobar wouldn't be able to do it.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    If you prefer a GUI approach, Mediamonkey can do this, and I'd be amazed if Foobar wouldn't be able to do it.
    Foobar can indeed do this

Load playlist
    Select all
    Right click and choose Convert - make sure the Output type and Destination are suitable
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Thanks for the info. Not to make things more complicated, but the playlists were constructed in LMS, hosted on a Linux server. So the playlist has static paths to the songs using Linux conventions, meaning / rather than \ as used in Windows. Will Foobar or other programs actually be able to read the playlists and find the referenced songs?

Thanks for the info. Not to make things more complicated, but the playlists were constructed in LMS, hosted on a Linux server. So the playlist has static paths to the songs using Linux conventions, meaning / rather than \ as used in Windows. Will Foobar or other programs actually be able to read the playlists and find the referenced songs?
    Yes and No.
    Foobar will convert from / to \ but the relative path may be wrong.

Unable to open item for playback (Object not found):
    "Y:\mnt\storage\flac\Kraftwerk\Autobahn\03 - Kometenmelodie 2.flac"

If I look at the playlist file in an editor it is formulated as
    /mnt/storage/flac/etc.......

If I copy the playlist file, edit and remove the "/mnt/storage" part it will work in my setup as Y:\flac is accessible from Windows
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Using symbolic links will probably work. Unlike directory junctions, they support network drives... Following the scenario, recreate the internal path of the share you are accessing, and mimick it on the local, default drive...

"Y:\mnt\storage\flac\Kraftwerk\Autobahn\03 - Kometenmelodie 2.flac"

/mnt/storage/flac/etc.......
    1. Open a command prompt as administrator
    2. run mklink /d C:\mnt Y:\mnt

This will make a virtual folder in the root of C: called mnt. Assuming Foobar2000 runs with C: as its default drive, \mnt will equal C:\mnt and thus /mnt will work. If you want to get rid of the symbolic link again, simply delete the directory...

Code:
     Directory of C:\

05-11-2020  10:02    <DIR>          DOCUMENTORGANIZER_ROGTECH
    17-07-2019  11:08    <DIR>          DRIVERS
    15-05-2020  14:24    <DIR>          WiX
    13-05-2020  11:22    <DIR>          InstallShield 2019 Projects
    27-04-2021  10:37    <DIR>          InstallShield 2020 Projects
    10-05-2021  08:05    <DIR>          Intel
    24-07-2019  08:54    <DIR>          Legacy
    17-03-2021  13:09    <DIR>          Microsoft
    10-05-2021  15:48    <SYMLINKD>     mnt [C:\Users\tsn\Music\]
    01-04-2020  10:22    <DIR>          NVIDIA
    05-02-2020  14:33    <DIR>          Office 2010 Developer Resources
    30-07-2020  14:31    <DIR>          PerfLogs
    11-08-2020  08:23    <DIR>          PortQryV2
    06-05-2021  14:21    <DIR>          Program Files
    07-05-2021  14:55    <DIR>          Program Files (x86)
    10-05-2021  15:25    <DIR>          ProgramData
    03-11-2020  16:49    <DIR>          Squid
    10-05-2021  15:31    <DIR>          Temp
    15-02-2021  14:54             1.002 trdock_debug.log
    05-03-2018  23:18               936 upiconfig.xml
    23-02-2021  09:37    <DIR>          Users
    29-04-2021  14:07    <DIR>          Utilities
    10-05-2021  15:31    <DIR>          Windows
                   2 File(s)          1.938 bytes
                  21 Dir(s)  65.007.468.544 bytes free

C:\Users\tsn>
    Don't delete directories that are not marked as [SYMLINKD], otherwise you delete the folders that have actual content in them. So, above you would delete mnt. Nothing else.

It is debatable whether or not this is an easy method. If I were to do it often enough, I'd prefer it over search/replacing the playlist, except, of course, it would be equally manageable to just make a script to precompile the playlists.
    Thomas Nielsen

I breathe music...

If you have the music mounted in windows and a copy of the playlists you should be able to do a search and replace on the paths with something like notepad++. Replace "/mynas/music/artist..." with "x:\mymusic\artist" or something to that effect.

Alternative fix is to buy more portable storage