Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Auto complete search? Search suggestions when typing?

At dinner I sometimes rave about the awesomeness of our 3 Squeezebox Touch devices used by the whole family, and often mention (in a loop) how ahead of time the boxes were, when released more than 10 years ago, and how it puzzles me, why Logitech decided to drop he Squeezebox line. Then my girlfriend instantly gets me down to earth, claiming she knows exactly why the product line could not have been such a big success, and why Logitech dropped it. Basically she says the interface sucks. And when she elaborates, it comes down to the search function, where you have to spell your artist, track or album exactly right, and most importantly without any form of auto complete, like you see when you search in Dezzer, Tidal or Spotify's mobile apps where typing a few letters starts suggesting what you might be searching for.

So! Long story short (if you are still with me), are there some sort of plugins or applets to the Squeezebox, with auto complete search functionalty or something similar. Would really love it for my Tidal/Deezer app and when searching my own flacs.
    LMS 8.1.1 on Synology 213+ NAS. 3 x Squeezebox Touch with external Rega DAC.

Although not quite the same ... the Lazy Search plugin was released around 2005

I agree though - an autocomplete or similar would be useful but my guess is that it would be slow on LMS and difficult to render.
    However, iPeng has a local cache (maybe other controllers do as well) so maybe would be easier to do there.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by navlefnuller View Post
    At dinner I sometimes rave about the awesomeness of our 3 Squeezebox Touch devices used by the whole family, and often mention (in a loop) how ahead of time the boxes were, when released more than 10 years ago, and how it puzzles me, why Logitech decided to drop he Squeezebox line. Then my girlfriend instantly gets me down to earth, claiming she knows exactly why the product line could not have been such a big success, and why Logitech dropped it. Basically she says the interface sucks. And when she elaborates, it comes down to the search function, where you have to spell your artist, track or album exactly right, and most importantly without any form of auto complete, like you see when you search in Dezzer, Tidal or Spotify's mobile apps where typing a few letters starts suggesting what you might be searching for.

So! Long story short (if you are still with me), are there some sort of plugins or applets to the Squeezebox, with auto complete search functionalty or something similar. Would really love it for my Tidal/Deezer app and when searching my own flacs.
    Material skin does exactly what you want.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Auto complete search? Search suggestionswhen typing?

> Material skin does exactly what you want.

Live search has been available in the web UI for a while now. But what
    the OP is wondering about is the player UI. And I'm not sure it could
    easily be done.

"Fuzzy search" is something I've been wanting to enable for a long time.
    But no results so far.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Ha! I have never noticed that. I guess I hit Enter too quickly.
    Just tried it and it worked well.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Although not quite the same ... the Lazy Search plugin was released around 2005

I agree though - an autocomplete or similar would be useful but my guess is that it would be slow on LMS and difficult to render.
    However, iPeng has a local cache (maybe other controllers do as well) so maybe would be easier to do there.
    Lazy search plugin is for Transporter, Boom, and Classic style players only, not for Touch, Radio etc..
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Lazy search plugin is for Transporter, Boom, and Classic style players only, not for Touch, Radio etc..
    Yes - although Simon H and others did investigate writing one in LUA (or 'C') - even got as far as considering not infringing patents.
    Paul Webster

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Material skin does exactly what you want.

Live search has been available in the web UI for a while now. But what
    the OP is wondering about is the player UI. And I'm not sure it could
    easily be done.

"Fuzzy search" is something I've been wanting to enable for a long time.
    But no results so far.
    Hope it will be possible some day. While I have your attention, are the PPC builds of 8.1.1 compatible with Deezer hifi, because no matter what I do it won’t run on my Touch from a Synology 213+ NAS. Keeps playing 320kbs mp3s :-( Tidal hifi on the other hand plays flacs just fine on the Touch.
    Last edited by navlefnuller; 2021-04-24 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Wow, didn’t know about that one. Beautiful interface! Even though it wont work on the player itself, it will be a great addition running from my iPhone. Would be great if it could also auto complete/suggest for the apps, like Deezer and Tidal. Thanks.
    Last edited by navlefnuller; 2021-04-25 at 00:42.