Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Is that tick not the parking sound of the head?
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Why do you think the drives ticking when you power them off is bad?
    I wrote TICK but it is more a “tchleng” ... It is the same sound you hear when you cut off power from a HDD that is reading/writing.
    ItÂ’s from the teens that I keep in mind one of the basic rules learned: never abruptly cut off power to a working machine/system/computer.

Maybe itÂ’s my idea, but I fear the heads are going to major break risk or waste some sector of the disks...
    Are the hdd so technologically advanced that you don't need to have this attention anymore?

But as anyone today I’m usual with computer and “software based hifi” and when I poweroff them the process is smooth and quiet without noises... As for this that sound was strange from the first time I powered off my player...

Sorry for my simplistic explanation and thanks for your attention!

Unless your going around shaking the drive while it's powered up, I would not worry about it. Loss of power during a write is about the only thing you need to be worried about. But that just causes corruption, which can happen on any drive.....including SSD's.

What Brand Model drive is it? If its a NAS or Surveillance class drive, they are designed to run(and spin) all the time. I have a few that make alot of noise, even while they write.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by fb_board View Post
    Thank you very much, RobbH.
    Yes, I knew these very basic things but it is always good to check... and you're right: useful for those who will read in the future.
    Thanks for being very gracious about this. I know it can be annoying to have someone try to help by telling you things you already know.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Unless your going around shaking the drive while it's powered up, I would not worry about it. Loss of power during a write is about the only thing you need to be worried about. But that just causes corruption, which can happen on any drive.....including SSD's.

What Brand Model drive is it? If its a NAS or Surveillance class drive, they are designed to run(and spin) all the time. I have a few that make alot of noise, even while they write.
    Thanks again Paul.
    So it is only my personal fear because I'm not usual to that sound/noise.
    My HDD are simple 2.5" sata laptop drives... I got 6/7 of those around the house so I decided to use them but I don't remember brand and model and I would not re-open my DIY case because it is "fragile" :-)
    Is there any SSH command I could use to get that informations? (so I'll learn another new thing!)

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Thanks for being very gracious about this. I know it can be annoying to have someone try to help by telling you things you already know.
    Oh... I start from the assumption that those who ask for something in a community do it because they need help and those who answer do it to help.

Mechanical laptop drives probably have some extra “spring” in them, as laptops are very prone to being dropped.

It depends, you might see something in dmesg or hdparm might be able to see info. I would not worry much. Make system backups, and just go with it.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer