Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Is that tick not the parking sound of the head?
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Why do you think the drives ticking when you power them off is bad?
    I wrote TICK but it is more a “tchleng” ... It is the same sound you hear when you cut off power from a HDD that is reading/writing.
    ItÂ’s from the teens that I keep in mind one of the basic rules learned: never abruptly cut off power to a working machine/system/computer.

Maybe itÂ’s my idea, but I fear the heads are going to major break risk or waste some sector of the disks...
    Are the hdd so technologically advanced that you don't need to have this attention anymore?

But as anyone today I’m usual with computer and “software based hifi” and when I poweroff them the process is smooth and quiet without noises... As for this that sound was strange from the first time I powered off my player...

Sorry for my simplistic explanation and thanks for your attention!

Unless your going around shaking the drive while it's powered up, I would not worry about it. Loss of power during a write is about the only thing you need to be worried about. But that just causes corruption, which can happen on any drive.....including SSD's.

What Brand Model drive is it? If its a NAS or Surveillance class drive, they are designed to run(and spin) all the time. I have a few that make alot of noise, even while they write.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by fb_board View Post
    Thank you very much, RobbH.
    Yes, I knew these very basic things but it is always good to check... and you're right: useful for those who will read in the future.
    Thanks for being very gracious about this. I know it can be annoying to have someone try to help by telling you things you already know.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Unless your going around shaking the drive while it's powered up, I would not worry about it. Loss of power during a write is about the only thing you need to be worried about. But that just causes corruption, which can happen on any drive.....including SSD's.

What Brand Model drive is it? If its a NAS or Surveillance class drive, they are designed to run(and spin) all the time. I have a few that make alot of noise, even while they write.
    Thanks again Paul.
    So it is only my personal fear because I'm not usual to that sound/noise.
    My HDD are simple 2.5" sata laptop drives... I got 6/7 of those around the house so I decided to use them but I don't remember brand and model and I would not re-open my DIY case because it is "fragile" :-)
    Is there any SSH command I could use to get that informations? (so I'll learn another new thing!)

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Thanks for being very gracious about this. I know it can be annoying to have someone try to help by telling you things you already know.
    Oh... I start from the assumption that those who ask for something in a community do it because they need help and those who answer do it to help.

Mechanical laptop drives probably have some extra “spring” in them, as laptops are very prone to being dropped.

It depends, you might see something in dmesg or hdparm might be able to see info. I would not worry much. Make system backups, and just go with it.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Sorry to come so late to this thread. I'm curious to ask the op how the setup is working.
    I'm looking at upgrading my setup to an all-in-one with a geekworm case and SATA card.
    It sounds like those pieces came together for you, despite the issue with powering down the HDD.
    Was the X825 SATA card plug and play on your Pi?
    And were you able to install the X735 V2.5 Power Management board?
    And was it a worthwhile endeavor?
    THank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamitefantastic View Post
    Sorry to come so late to this thread. I'm curious to ask the op how the setup is working.
    I'm looking at upgrading my setup to an all-in-one with a geekworm case and SATA card.
    It sounds like those pieces came together for you, despite the issue with powering down the HDD.
    Iv'e built a couple of these

Quite easy to set up and (so far) very reliable - I used Dietpi rather than PcP and run this from the hard drive

As long as your not doing anything that writes to the drive it's ok just to turn it off though it's safest if you shut down the Pi first.

Have fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by dynamitefantastic View Post
    Hello Dynamite!
    Sure I’ll try to answer to your kind questions.
    I was looking for a good all-in-one box with screen and I saw the Geekworm solution, but it was too late: they stopped to sell the bundle with case for some reasons… so I had to order separately. Now I don’t know if the bundle is on sell again.
    The system is composed by:
    - a Geekworm case (I had to modify some holes for usb because the case was not the proper one for X829)
    - a good PSU
    - the power board X735 (for powering the Pi3 and everything listed beyond)
    - the Dual-SATA board X829 (sorry I don’t remember why I bought X829 instead of X825…) with two 2,5” hdd
    - a simple and old dac (iQaudio Dac+)
    - Waveshare 5” touchscreen display
    Everything worked good from the first boot without any tweaks (I had fear because I’m not good in programming…!!!)
    And it was a small job that gave me satisfaction: my Pi3 is in sight in the living room and now is all enclosed in a metal case, with a single power supply, without exposed cables… I like it very much (even my wife !!!) and it looks like a "serious" component.

Name:  IMG_2884.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  283.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2886.jpg
Size:  247.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2887.jpg
Size:  272.8 KB

Sorry for the big photos... where you can obviously see the dust :-)))

Thank you for the responses.
    With the positivity on the geekworm devices, I purchased the X825 case and SATA shield to upgrade my existing PCP server.
    I've held out on buying the X735 power management, as the manufacturer told me they don't support the PCP OS.
    I'm curious about the operating temperature and noise (in that order). I'll update once I've got it all together.
    I really like that display! Too bad my server is tucked away in another room where I never see it.
    Thank you again for the responses!

I upgraded my piCore Server a few weeks back with the GeekWorm x825 case and SATA card.
    Everything worked -- except the big power button on the front, that only works with the addition of the power management card.
    The one issue I had was the noise from the fan included with the case. Monitoring the temperature on the unit both with and without the fan, I decided to play it safe and order a new fan. I ended up replacing it with a quieter fan from Noctua (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). That quieted it down to an acceptable level.
    All in all, a great way to get the entire server in one package and reduce the number of wall warts on my setup.
    Thank you again for all the responses to my query.