Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7

    piCorePlayer: Parking HDDs when shutting down

    Hi all!
    Mi first post... thank for all the help I found lurking around here in the days.

    Last week I finally built my piCorePlayer “all-in-one” system.
    But since I know NOTHING about programming, I have a problem…
    The system is composed by: Raspberry pi4b + Dac + a usb to dual SATA expansion + power management expansion for powering everything from a single source.

    When I shutdown piCorePlayer from the menu the system go down, but the other boards and the HDDs remain on and if I press the general switch to power off I hear an horrible “TICK”: the bad sound of the HDD’s heads that roughly stop.
    Could you help me and guide me to find a solution?
    I think there could be a simple script to add for parking the HDDs while pCP is shutting down. But I really don’t know nothing about programming.
    Thank you for your help and for your patience!

    The specific hardware is:
    Raspberry Pi4b / iQaudio Dac+ / GeekWorm X829 / GeekWorm X735 / Waveshare 4.3” touchscreen
    Last edited by fb_board; 2021-04-23 at 01:12.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7
    Thank you very much!
    I read it and read also other command suggestions...
    ...but I feel like I theoretically know something more without understanding it anyway!
    How could I insert these commands? And where? Do they work in piCorePlayer?
    Sorry, I’m really a mess with these things.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    4,427
    Try this old thread for more about what to try (found by seaching for hdparm).
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ghlight=hdparm
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7
    Thanks everyone for the links... I’m trying to learn.

    But for every hdparm command I’m entering via ssh to piCorePlayer
    (like: sudo hdparm -y /dev/sdX )

    the result is always:
    issuing standby command
    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD: Invalid argument

    What am I doing wrong?

    LITTLE UPDATE
    I found a previous thread with very good explanation:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post947791

    I will try to follow that steps!
    Last edited by fb_board; 2021-04-24 at 11:03.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by fb_board View Post
    Thanks everyone for the links... I’m trying to learn.

    But for every hdparm command I’m entering via ssh to piCorePlayer
    (like: sudo hdparm -y /dev/sdX )

    the result is always:
    issuing standby command
    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD: Invalid argument

    What am I doing wrong?
    The X in sdX is a variable. You need to substitute the name of the actual device, which is usually in the form /dev/sda, dev/sdb, dev/sdc, and so forth.

    If you know where your disk is mounted, you should be able to find the name of the device using the mount command or df. (lsblk, the one I use on other systems doesn't seem to be available in piCorePlayer.)

    Then, first unmount the disk (that's the umount command on the page gordon linked). You will need to use the actual mount point where it says "point/point" in those directions. Then use the hdparm comman with the actual name of the device, not sdX.

    I hope this helps! If you already knew all these things, I hope somebody who knows more than I do can provide some useful help.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    The X in sdX is a variable. You need to substitute the name of the actual device, which is usually in the form /dev/sda, dev/sdb, dev/sdc, and so forth.

    If you know where your disk is mounted, you should be able to find the name of the device using the mount command or df. (lsblk, the one I use on other systems doesn't seem to be available in piCorePlayer.)

    Then, first unmount the disk (that's the umount command on the page gordon linked). You will need to use the actual mount point where it says "point/point" in those directions. Then use the hdparm comman with the actual name of the device, not sdX.

    I hope this helps! If you already knew all these things, I hope somebody who knows more than I do can provide some useful help.
    Thank you very much, RobbH.
    Yes, I knew these very basic things but it is always good to check... and you're right: useful for those who will read in the future.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    7
    Ok, thanks to your help and following the steps linked above I managed to spindown drives with hd-idle (hdparm does not work with my configuration).
    Now I shutdown pCP via software, then wait some minutes till the HDD spindown and then I power off the system… but that point I continue to get that horrible TICK of the hd heads.
    Is there any OPTION for parking the heads with hd-idle, as with hdparm???

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by fb_board View Post
    Ok, thanks to your help and following the steps linked above I managed to spindown drives with hd-idle (hdparm does not work with my configuration).
    Now I shutdown pCP via software, then wait some minutes till the HDD spindown and then I power off the system… but that point I continue to get that horrible TICK of the hd heads.
    Is there any OPTION for parking the heads with hd-idle, as with hdparm???
    Is that tick not the parking sound of the head?
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

  10. #10
    Senior Member paul-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,220
    Why do you think the drives ticking when you power them off is bad?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

    Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •