Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS service running on Ubuntu 16.04, but not reachable

I installed LMS on an Ubuntu 16.04 box using the logitechmediaserver_8.1.1_amd64.deb package. After installing it, I was able to access the web server at <ip address>:9000 and saw it asking me to log into my mysqueezebox account. I did this just make sure it was installed correctly. I then changed the network config from using DHCP to a static IP and rebooted. Ever since then I can't access the webpage and I don't see anything serving port 9000 when I run "netstat -a". I did find and changed the "allowedhosts" in the config file, but that didn't help anything.

Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

anything in the LMS server.log?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    anything in the LMS server.log?
    Where is the log at? I looked for one but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Egnix View Post
    Where is the log at? I looked for one but couldn't find it.
    They are in "/var/log/squeezeboxserver". If all you have done is install LMS maybe a reinstall with static IP would do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by v2k View Post
    They are in "/var/log/squeezeboxserver". If all you have done is install LMS maybe a reinstall with static IP would do the trick?
    I did reinstall with the static IP and the server worked right after install (as it did after the initial install). But after rebooting, it is unreachable again (even on the server box). I don't have a squeezeboxserver directory (or file) in /var/log.
    "service --status-all" shows a + for logitechmediaserver, though a "ps -ef |grep logi" doesn't show anything lms related. Perhaps something isn't getting started?

I did reinstall with the static IP and the server worked right after install (as it did after the initial install). But after rebooting, it is unreachable again (even on the server box). I don't have a squeezeboxserver directory (or file) in /var/log.
    "service --status-all" shows a + for logitechmediaserver, though a "ps -ef |grep logi" doesn't show anything lms related. Perhaps something isn't getting started?
    Just checked the .pid file and that pid is for "/bin/bash /usr.sbin/squeezeboxserver_safe..." So, I guess it is running but I can't connect to it (and haven't changed the default port of 9000).

It sounds a bit like my efforts to get LMS running in Ubuntu on a RPi (and failing miserably), it would show a + for the service but I couldn't connect.

Since you at least can start after installation what happens if you stop the service and then try to start the server manually with the "squeezeboxserver" command?

Try running "systemctl status logitechmediaserver" and "ps -ef | grep squeeze" to get more info.

What about controlling the IP address via your router by using a reserved lease? I don't set static ip's for my servers anymore and do it all from the router.

So, after a reboot, the service was running again, but I still couldn't connect (netstat didn't show port 9000 being served). Found that /var/log/squeezeboxserver was gone. Recreated the directory, give it permissions and restarted the service. Then everything was good.

I'm wondering if I can remove the --logdir parameter from the startup script, and then it might work on a reboot without further interaction.