Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Preventing artwork being replaced with generic radio.png when playing

I am now trying to get artwork to show when a programme is played.
    I can do this OK when I am getting notifications based on using remotemetadata Parser and/or Provider but in this case I do not know the full set of stream URLs etc so I cannot trap it as easily.

However, I do have the artwork for the programme and it is shown with the list of programmes (in essence like a list of podcasts).
    When choosing to play the programme, the linked artwork does show briefly in the player and LMS web interface ... but after a few seconds it is replaced by the generic radio.png

I suspect that this is because LMS is handling the stream ... finds no artwork in the stream so sets the artwork to the default.
    I would like to find a way to tell it to use the artwork that I give (unless artwork is found in the stream - but would be good if that could be influenced as well) but without the plugin having to get call backs.

To see this happen try the plugin from the beta repo at http://www.dabdig.co.uk/slimserver-r...lanetradio.xml
    and look for Planet Radio - Podcasts - Absolute - Absolute 80s - Absolute 80s presents ... (boxset) then one of the episodes.
    These are (at least the ones I have played) M4A not MP3.

The ones that do not have "(boxset)" at the end are real podcasts (RSS feed) and an image is shown for them - but that might well come from the mp3 data (I have not checked yet).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Preventing artwork being replaced with genericradio.png when playing

> However, I do have the artwork for the programme and it is shown with
    > the list of programmes (in essence like a list of podcasts).
    > When choosing to play the programme, the linked artwork does show
    > briefly in the player and LMS web interface ... but after a few seconds
    > it is replaced by the generic radio.png

Here's what I'm using in some plugins:

$client->playingSong->pluginData( wmaMeta => {
    icon => $imageUrl,
    cover => $imageUrl,
    artist => $info->{artist},
    title => $info->{title},
    } );
    Slim::Control::Request::notifyFromArray( $client, [ 'newmetadata' ] );

I do the same in other areas of the plugin - but this is initiated via a callback from
    Slim::Formats::RemoteMetadata->registerParser
    or
    Slim::Formats::RemoteMetadata->registerProvider
    which in turn kicks off my timer for extra callbacks.

But in those cases I know the stream URL is "mine" and can work out which radio station it is by parsing the stream URL that the client is playing.

However, in the case of these podcast like items, I have been trying to avoid putting triggers on the URLs because I am not sure that I can be certain that all resulting matches will be for me (some seem to use 3rd-party providers (like Akamai but not them) that I presume could be shared by other broadcasters).

My thought is that since LMS knew that there was metadata provided via the playing item AND if the stream does not provide cover art ... and if there is no handler for the URL ... then it should not change the cover art to radio.png

I think I'll put extra tracing around all places that set radio.png so that I can work out which one is doing it in this case.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Looks like

Slim/Control/Queries.pm: $request->addResultLoop($loop, $count, 'icon-id', '/html/images/radio.png');
    https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...eries.pm#L4732

is the line that does this for Jive clients (and I guess others - but not the Default web UI).

I commented out the line and then the icon that was loaded in when the content started was not replaced.

I assume that this would not be a viable fix for situation where new content without an icon is played afterwards because it might mean that the old icon would remain - but at least it gives me a starting point.
    Paul Webster