Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

JBL Boombox with a Pi Zero W Velcro’d to it

Picked up a JBL Boombox on sale when the JBL Boombox 2 came out. It’s been exactly what I needed, portable audio with long battery life and decent sound. Only thing missing was being able to stream from LMS. I did connect it via Bluetooth to the piCorePlayer in my home office, so could play within Bluetooth range. Got to thinking I could put together a pi Zero W and a case with a battery to make it portable. As I was looking for the right components, I finally realized JBL is also a big battery with the ability to charge other devices via USB.

Not sure of impact on battery life, will find out..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "You know, I'm all for progress. It's change I object to."
    Mark Twain

LMS 8.0.1 on Raspberry Pi4 w/256GB SD
    5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 Raspberry Pi 3b running piCorePlayer, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer and a Raspberry Pi Zero W running piCorePlayer Velcro’d to a JBL Boombox

Nice idea!
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Working out a few kinks - I've never delved into piCorePlayer much. pCP starts a separate instance of Squeezelite for Bluetooth; if you're not planning on running wired audio off the rPi - turn off the default Squeezelite instance on the Tweaks tab under Audio Tweaks - select "No" for automatically start Squeezelite when pCP starts.

On the Squeezelite Settings tab, I set Audio Output Device Setting to HDMI audio, and the turned off HDMI power on the Tweaks tab. Not sure how much difference it makes, however, since I'm running off of the JBL battery, the less power draw the better.
    Mark Twain

5 Receivers, 1 Boom, 2 Radios, 1 Controller, 1 Raspberry Pi 3b running piCorePlayer, 1 iPhone & 1 iPad w/iPeng, 1 Android phone w/Squeezer and a Raspberry Pi Zero W running piCorePlayer Velcro’d to a JBL Boombox

So if I understand correctly, you're playing from the Pi Zero to the boombox via bluetooth? Maybe if you don't use bluetooth but a 3.5 mm connection instead, you would save a ton of battery life. I have a Pi Zero with a Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter hooked up to it, and then I can use any 3.5 mm aux cable to pretty much anything. The Apple adapter can be found very cheap on Amazon and its DAC performs wonderfully that people on other forums use it on their PCs and even Android phones. You would only need to also buy the proper USB adapter to use the USB-C device on the Zero, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chavezdaniel View Post
    if you don't use bluetooth but a 3.5 mm connection instead, you would save a ton of battery life.
    Thanks - that a great idea. Was keeping components to the bare minimum, however, will definitely look at this if battery life becomes an issue. I did end up depleting the battery yesterday, however, it's been months since I've recharged the JBL; it's a 20,000mAh battery so it should provide fair amount of play. Topping it off today and will try to get a better idea of impact on the battery,
    Mark Twain

Isn't the pi zero supposed to be powered with 5.1V and USB is 5.0V......
    Could also use a DAC32. Perhaps even less power drain.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

re: 5.1V v 5.0V - it *seems* to be working fine; vcgencmd measure_volts returns 1.2V, I know it's not exact, however, there's a lot of headroom. vcgencmd get_throttled isn't showing an under-voltage detected. Will be keeping an eye on it to be certain.
    Mark Twain

So far there doesn't seem to be a big impact on the JBL battery life; have played a different range of volumes, mostly on the quieter side, a couple hours in outdoor mode (enhanced bass) - probably at least 12 hours. The JBL battery indicators aren't very accurate, so will just keep using until it the battery dies.
    Mark Twain