Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

perl-IO-Socket-SSL

Hi,

Is there a reason why perl-IO-Socket-SSL isn't included in the logitech media server RPM package? All other needed Perl modules are packaged with the LMS package.

Regards, Johan

My assumption is that version that can installed on your may be "tied" to the version of OpenSSL on your system which is not associated with the version of Perl.

So instead of LMS just supporting a number of version of Perl for x number of archs, for each version of Perl there would be a number of version of the SSL modules - complicated.

I'm not sure but there may also a dependency on Net::SSLeay and its version.

requisites in RPM

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    My assumption is that version that can installed on your may be "tied" to the version of OpenSSL on your system which is not associated with the version of Perl.

So instead of LMS just supporting a number of version of Perl for x number of archs, for each version of Perl there would be a number of version of the SSL modules - complicated.

I'm not sure but there may also a dependency on Net::SSLeay and its version.
    That is a reasonable ground. But then it would maybe be a good idea to add that perl-IO-Socket-SSL as a requisites in the RPM package. That way yum and zypper would be able to pull in the package at installation time (and rpm warn about the dependency for those using that tool).

Regards, Johan

Perhaps a reason for not making it a pre-req is that, I think, LMS can be used without it - especially if it is being used to only play local music.
    Is there a way to have a pre-req that is recommended rather than mandatory so that failing to find/install a module gives a warning but does not break things?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Perhaps a reason for not making it a pre-req is that, I think, LMS can be used without it - especially if it is being used to only play local music.
    Is there a way to have a pre-req that is recommended rather than mandatory so that failing to find/install a module gives a warning but does not break things?
    OK, that could be a reason, however, every time I have installed LMS on a new Linux server, it has refused to run until I have also installed the perl-IO-Socket-SSL. How would I need to configure LMS to make it run without that perl library.

There are recommendations for the spec files. The recommendation will be picked up by yum and zypper, but not by the rpm command itself. Zypper and yum will install a recommended package if it is found. If it isn't found it will just continue without any complaints.

Regards, Johan

There is an internal routine call hasSSL that tests for SSL being available ... and, in general, it switches to http if not available.
    So it looks like it should be able to run otherwise that code would be redundant.

However, that is a side issue if the install routines can handle the finding (or not) of the module and making it work in the typical case when it is found.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Johan S View Post
    OK, that could be a reason, however, every time I have installed LMS on a new Linux server, it has refused to run until I have also installed the perl-IO-Socket-SSL. How would I need to configure LMS to make it run without that perl library.
    Have you tried the nomysqueezbox option ?
    Many 3rd party plugin & services are hosted on sites that require https.