Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brentano
    • Jun 2012

Installing rPi

What would have gone wrong in attaching the screen shots, did with Manage Attachments

Comment

• brentano
      • Jun 2012

Installing rPi

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 04-21-21 at 10.29 AM.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1572027Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 04-21-21 at 10.38 AM.PNG
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1572028Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 04-21-21 at 10.41 AM.PNG
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1572029

Let me know if that worked, hadn't done it here before

Comment

• brentano
        • Jun 2012

Installing rPi

It worked this time I can see it.
        Regarding not needing a new SD card, when I was stuffing around installing PiCoreplayer and getting all them Errors, when I tried to do it again with the same SD card it told me not enough room on SD card and that was on 32GIG and 64GIG cards its now on a 128GIG SD card.

The Folder on the USB drive that contains my music including many sub-folders is Named: mymusic
        Last edited by brentano; 2021-04-21, 05:01.

Comment

• kidstypike
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by brentano
          It worked this time I can see it.
          Regarding not needing a new SD card, when I was stuffing around installing PiCoreplayer and getting all them Errors, when I tried to do it again with the same SD card it told me not enough room on SD card and that was on 32GIG and 64GIG cards its now on a 128GIG SD card.

The Folder on the USB drive that contains my music including many sub-folders is Named: mymusic
          I've no idea where you're up to ATM but I've set out simple instructions below starting with a freshly formatted 16GB micro SD card. I'll leave it up to you how you get to this point.

Burn pCP 8.0.0 (or most recent version) to a new or freshly re-formatted 8GB or16GB SD card.

Insert card, attach network cable & USB drive to Pi.

Power up Pi.

Find IP address of Pi and enter it into a web browser address bar, and press enter.

"Main page", scroll down to bottom of page and click the "Beta tab", dismiss warning.

"Main page", Click "Resize FS", select 2000MB (minimum if installing LMS) from dropdown box.

Click "Resize", (takes a couple of minutes).

"Tweaks" page "Host Name" you can keep pCP or rename, I renamed to pCPdemo, press "Save". (Reboot).

"LMS" page, under "Install and enable additional file systems", click "Install".

"LMS" page, under "Pick from the following detected USB disks to mount", enter a name, this can be anything you like, it's just an identifier, keep it simple, I entered "demo". Tick the "Enabled" box. click "Set USB Mount".

Click image for larger version  Name:	demo01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	1572030

"LMS" page, click "Install LMS". Once installed click "Start LMS", if started you should see a green tick and LMS is running. (At the time of writing this installs LMS v8.1.1).

"LMS" page, click "Configure LMS", this may or may not open at a "Wizard", mine didn't, it opened at the "Basic settigs" tab.

Enter the path to your music files on the USB drive by clicking the "Browse" button alongside Media Folder".

In the pop-up window, expand "mnt", expand "demo", select your music files folder. This will enter the correct path into the media folder box, no need to type anything, close the pop-up window.

Repeat for playlist folder if needed, or leave blank.

Click the "Rescan" button,

Click image for larger version  Name:	demo02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.8 KB ID:	1572031

Click the "Scanning - View Progress link".

Click image for larger version  Name:	demo03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	1572032

That's it.

It's simple!
          Last edited by kidstypike; 2023-07-12, 22:48.
          Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
          Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
          Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
          Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• brentano
            • Jun 2012

Installing rPi

Thank you very much, I will give this a go
            Cheers

Just one more question, regarding the "Reboot" is that just turning off the rPi or dose it need to actually disconnect the USB drive from the rPi.
            I wouldn't so, just making sure Sorry
            Last edited by brentano; 2021-04-21, 10:12.

Comment

• garym
              • May 2008

Thank you very much, I will give this a go
              Cheers

Just one more question, regarding the "Reboot" is that just turning off the rPi or dose it need to actually disconnect the USB drive from the rPi.
              I wouldn't so, just making sure Sorry
              reboot is a button on the piCorePlayer main webGUI screen (reboot is not turning off the rPi). You don't need to disconnect the USB drive to reboot (or turn OFF the rPi). See picture. Also, if you're getting "disk full" on your SD cards, you must not be starting from scratch by writing the piCorePlayer image to the SD card with image writing software. Writing this image wipes out everything on the SD card and replaces it with the new image. You wouldn't be getting disk full messages from this step.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (17).jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1572035
              Last edited by garym; 2021-04-21, 13:15.
              Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
              Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
              Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
              The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
              Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
              Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Redrum
                • Oct 2009

I have been following this thread watching Gary and Kidstypike help the OP through this process, staying out of it, but knowing the first time you do it, you don't really understand "why" you are doing the steps, and what they really mean. Making it worse, the pCP "How tos" are for an older version pCP. So, if you make a miss step, you may not know how to recover.

Yesterday I found myself thinking that it would be helpful to first timers if the pCP "how to's" were up to date...After you do a couple, you can follow the "how to's" and adapt, but as a first timer, it can stop you in your tracks.

Kidstypike, you did just that in post #19! Good Job!

Jim

Comment

• brentano
                  • Jun 2012

Thank you Jim, well spoken. I know exactly how it feels, feeling you want to pull all your little bit of hair that is left out.
                  I am very grateful to poor garym he has been helping me for years. Kidstypike's instructions are as you say quite different to the pCP's.
                  Thanks guys

Something else I am curious about is: Do you need to download a new version of CorePlayer Zip and the Image Burner when I re-start, or is it possible to just unzip again and reuse the Image burner that is already there in the download folder.
                  Last edited by brentano; 2021-04-21, 14:24.

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

Thank you Jim, well spoken. I know exactly how it feels, feeling you want to pull all your little bit of hair that is left out.
                    I am very grateful to poor garym he has been helping me for years. Kidstypike's instructions are as you say quite different to the pCP's.
                    Thanks guys
                    And if I ever make it to Australia, you're buying me a pint or two!
                    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• kidstypike
                      • Feb 2007

Thanks guys
                      You probably don't realize how frustrating it is trying to instruct someone who is probably trying to set up pCP using outdated instructions!

The laughable thing is, it's so simple.

The hardest part is configuring LMS/plugins/favourites etc..

Comment

• kidstypike
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Redrum
                        I have been following this thread watching Gary and Kidstypike help the OP through this process, staying out of it, but knowing the first time you do it, you don't really understand "why" you are doing the steps, and what they really mean. Making it worse, the pCP "How tos" are for an older version pCP. So, if you make a miss step, you may not know how to recover.

Yesterday I found myself thinking that it would be helpful to first timers if the pCP "how to's" were up to date...After you do a couple, you can follow the "how to's" and adapt, but as a first timer, it can stop you in your tracks.

Kidstypike, you did just that in post #19! Good Job!

Jim
                        Thanks, we do try!

Comment

• Redrum
                          • Oct 2009

when I said "making it worse.." I should have said "making it more difficult..."

to be clear, I am not trying to throw shade at Greg or others on the pCP team contributing to the documentation. When a system is in constant change, how can the documentation keep up? Plus, the fact that it's in constant change, that's a good thing, as it just keeps getting better.

Jim

Comment

• kidstypike
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Redrum
                            when I said "making it worse.." I should have said "making it more difficult..."

to be clear, I am not trying to throw shade at Greg or others on the pCP team contributing to the documentation. When a system is in constant change, how can the documentation keep up? Plus, the fact that it's in constant change, that's a good thing, as it just keeps getting better.

Jim
                            Exactly, that's why I can't get excited about writing a more detailed how-to, it quickly becomes out of date. Also the more detail you try to give, the more daunting it looks to a newcomer.

Keep it simple.

Comment

• kidstypike
                              • Feb 2007

Thanks guys

Something else I am curious about is: Do you need to download a new version of CorePlayer Zip and the Image Burner when I re-start, or is it possible to just unzip again and reuse the Image burner that is already there in the download folder.
                              Try not to ask new questions in an old post, they get missed/overlooked.

No you don't need to download a new image, it's just a file.

I don't get that about an image burner in the folder?

Comment

• garym
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by kidstypike
                                Try not to ask new questions in an old post, they get missed/overlooked.

No you don't need to download a new image, it's just a file.

I don't get that about an image burner in the folder?
                                Image burner is a program (for burning images to an SD card of course). Like any program, once you download for use, you don't need to download again. For example, you don't download MicroSoft WORD everytime you want to use the program.

Comment

Working...