• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff07971
    • Aug 2011

MQA and its problems

Hi All,

Found this on YT, its worth a watch if you use MQA

A deep dive into MQA, and its problems.Testing starts at 5:45Come chat on discord: https://www.thegoldenone.co.uk Support me on patreon and join the private ...

Jeff
    sigpic
    Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953
  • gvh
    • Oct 2005

Try this thread for some serious fun

EDIT: UPDATED with most current information. Introduction MQA is a proprietary music compression solution that uses the FLAC container. It requires a license fee for manufacturers to implement it, and due to the lack of transparency from MQA, there has been relatively little conclusive...

Comment

• sherington
      • Dec 2005

..and this

Editor's Note 1: MQA ltd was sent a copy of this article several days prior to the scheduled publication date. The company requested a phone conversation, which took place earlier this week. MQA was encouraged to write a response for inclusion with the article below, but it respectfully decline t...

Comment

• chavezdaniel
        • Sep 2020

It's funny how MQA turned out to be a more expensive solution (scam) that turned out to be a lossy codec. A 320 mp3 may be better than MQA, lol

Comment

• Heuer
          • Nov 2005

I see Radio Paradise are offering a MQA stream via Bluesound. Hopefully it won't impact the normal FLAC service. Bill writes:

"Our initial MQA stream will be 16/44.1, so there's no resolution improvement. That will be coming in the future.

The improvements I hear in our MQA stream are due to the 'audio voodoo' they apply to correct A/D & D/A errors in the recording, mixing & mastering process. In my opinion, that adds a lot of extra detail and texture to many recordings. I like the way it sounds. I find it more compelling & immersive. More musical.

It will always be an option, not something forced on anyone."
          Last edited by Heuer; 2021-05-01, 11:15.
          Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
          Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
          Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
          Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
          Bedroom: Radio
          Shed: Radio
          Workshop: Boom
          Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
          Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• Zombie
            • Feb 2009

Tidal has decided to have a cheaper option for CD only and add the option for "masters", 360 sound and other types of sliced bread at a higher cost. This will begin in Australia.

Comment

• Wombat
              • Feb 2006

The CD quality files at Tidal may be the same encrypted MQA files with only the MQA flagging is removed. So you may get only 13bit to listen to.
              So a German tone-arm manufacturer discovers digital audio in 2021 and this is your luminary. :p The of course, the time-honored "every track I listened to sounded better" is presesnt. I'll go out a limb here and this DAC will likely be bested by several DACs costing less than $500. - Rich...
              Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Comment

• mftech
                • Sep 2005

Mqa...

Eventually MQA will become a toxic name similar to Aspartane...
                Tête à FLAC

2 X SB Classic
                2 X SB2
                1 X SB Boom
                2 X SB Touch
                3 X SBRadio
                1 X Transporter
                1 X Duet + Remote
                4 X Rpi+ Picoreplayer
                2 X Chromecast
                1 X Chromecast Audio
                1 X Atoll ST100
                1 X Merging NADAC

All devices connected via CeolBOX server aka The Musical Box
                Using OrangeSqueeze and Material Skin Plug-in to remote all my connected devices.

Comment

• Jeff07971
                  • Aug 2011

Theres a follow up to the original video

My response to the MQA "Bob Talks" post regarding my deep dive video.UPDATE: MQA has not yet responded to the request for encoding of natural sound files.UPD...

Jeff
                  sigpic
                  Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• zordaz
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Heuer
                    I see Radio Paradise are offering a MQA stream via Bluesound. Hopefully it won't impact the normal FLAC service. Bill writes:

"It will always be an option, not something forced on anyone."
                    Well, I'm afraid that only means that your are able to listen to the same stream with both normal equipment and with MQA equipment. In the former case you are listening to a 16/44 stream which simply is not lossless because of the MQA content is added to it. And as we now know this content is present in the audible band...

MQA is a solution in search of a problem to solve. It has become first and foremost a business model based upon controlling as much of the audio chain (software and hardware) as possible. Avoid.
                    Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
                    Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
                    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
                    LMS: Version 8.3.0 on Xubuntu 22.04LTS

Comment

• slartibartfast
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by zordaz
                      Well, I'm afraid that only means that your are able to listen to the same stream with both normal equipment and with MQA equipment. In the former case you are listening to a 16/44 stream which simply is not lossless because of the MQA content is added to it. And as we now know this content is present in the audible band...

MQA is a solution in search of a problem to solve. It has become first and foremost a business model based upon controlling as much of the audio chain (software and hardware) as possible. Avoid.
                      AFAICT the FLAC stream is still available completely independent of the MQA stream.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                      Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
                      Bedroom: Radio
                      Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• zordaz
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by slartibartfast
                        AFAICT the FLAC stream is still available completely independent of the MQA stream.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                        So they really will be offering two streams of the same content and one stream is the pristine, unaltered lossless flac stream? Interesting.
                        Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
                        Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
                        Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
                        LMS: Version 8.3.0 on Xubuntu 22.04LTS

Comment

Working...