Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Radio keeps losing connection to LMS, mysqueezebox.com every night!

since about two weeks..

SB Radio keeps losing connection to LMS running on my Synology and mysqueezebox.com.
    The device is shown connected to the router's WiFi, but the connection icon on the SB display is red.
    All other SB devices (Chromecast, UPnP bridge, PiCore Player) remain connected.

Diagnostics after the connection fails:

Network Healh:
    Ping LMS (192.168.xx.lms) not ok

Wireless Info:
    Wireless Network: LGX2
    Wireless Encryption: WPA2-PSK
    Wireless Signal: 100%
    IP Address: 192.168.xx.sbr
    IP Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    IP Gateway: 192.168.xx.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.xx.1

Server Info:
    mysqueezebox.com: -
    Ping: -
    TCP port 3483: -
    TCP port 9000: -
    Logitech Media Server: 192.168.xx.lms
    Library Name: LMS
    Ping: Can't Ping
    TCP port 3483: Can't connect
    TCP port 9002: Can't connect

Once I plugout/plugin the SBRadio, likely the connection is reset correctly.

What is the likely cause of this?
    How can I further investigate, using debugs/logs?

Thanks a lot!!
    Server: Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1605892076 @ Fri Nov 20 18:28:44 CET 2020 (Pinkdot) on Synology DS216Play [SOX mansr ARMv7 & C-3PO]
    Players: SB Radio, RPi 3B+, 7’’ Touch, pCP @Marshall Acton. Multiroom HiFi: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVM M30 @Nubert NuLine/NuVero 5.1

Squeezebox Radio keeps losingconnection to LMS, mysqueezebox.com every night!

> SB Radio keeps losing connection to LMS running on my Synology and
    > mysqueezebox.com.

Are you shutting down your network at night or something?

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > SB Radio keeps losing connection to LMS running on my Synology and
    > mysqueezebox.com.

Are you shutting down your network at night or something?
    Not that I'd know. LMS runs on a server which is rebooted once per week; the WiFi is up 24/7.
    For next tests, I deactivated OFDMA in the router as I think it might affect WiFi channels.
    Plus I connected the Radio by Ethernet for once, I had to restart LMS for it to connect; then connected back to WiFi again.

The nature of this issue demands me to wait until tomorrow morning for further steps
    Server: Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1605892076 @ Fri Nov 20 18:28:44 CET 2020 (Pinkdot) on Synology DS216Play [SOX mansr ARMv7 & C-3PO]
    Players: SB Radio, RPi 3B+, 7’’ Touch, pCP @Marshall Acton. Multiroom HiFi: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVM M30 @Nubert NuLine/NuVero 5.1

Hmm if the SB Radio has the problem, but not your other devices, then perhaps it is the WiFi interference problem with SB Radios. There are observations that some routers using mesh networks are causing problems. It might be a neighbor. I have the problem even when my radio has excellent signal and located close to my router. See the following:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...n-three-Radios

You mentioned you connected via Ethernet but went back to WiFi. Connect it via Ethernet for a while, days, and see if the problem disappears. If it does, then you might have the interference problem.

Solutions are to use a WiFi bridge, or if you have the technical know how to modify the software in the SB radio, there is a solution in development. See the community firmware thread in the radio forum.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    Hmm if the SB Radio has the problem, but not your other devices, then perhaps it is the WiFi interference problem with SB Radios. There are observations that some routers using mesh networks are causing problems. It might be a neighbor. I have the problem even when my radio has excellent signal and located close to my router. See the following:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...n-three-Radios

You mentioned you connected via Ethernet but went back to WiFi. Connect it via Ethernet for a while, days, and see if the problem disappears. If it does, then you might have the interference problem.

Solutions are to use a WiFi bridge, or if you have the technical know how to modify the software in the SB radio, there is a solution in development. See the community firmware thread in the radio forum.

Paul
    Thank you, Paul,

I read through that long thread yesterday evening and come to my conclusion.

I upgraded to a WiFi 6 router recently, but possibly a firmware update has changed its behaviour two weeks ago.

Suspects are also a WiFi power switch located just next to the radio. I realised the radio disconnecting right when I reconnected that switch.

I will definitely go for a WiFi bridge. Patching the radio from my point of view isn't necessary, also because it's stationery and doesn't need to ever move.

I'm a little surprised that replacing the old Wi-Fi card in the radio with a recent one isn't even discussed there. I always replaced those in my aging laptops, to lift them to the latest Wi-Fi standard. But maybe it's just not possible, cause of hardware or driver issues.
    [EDIT] This is obviously not possible - as Wi-Fi is embedded on Radio's main board.

Is there a forum discussing hardware issues, how to open and maintain the radio electronics?

Thanks again,
    Gerhard

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ge Ba; 2021-04-22 at 01:55. Reason: not an option to replace the Wi-Fi card, Wi-Fi is embedded on the main board not changeable (as read from another forum post)

so finally I managed to solve the issue for my Radio as follows

A little background first:

- I replaced my old WiFi-router recently with a new WiFi 6 device, TP-Link AX50.
    - The router enabled 40MHz channel bandwidth for the 2.4 GHz frequency by default.
    - Mode was set to 802.11b/g/n/ax mixed
    - OFDMA was set to enabled

The disconnections vanished after I did the following changes:
    - set 2.4GHz band to 20MHz channel width, which was the one foreseen for 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi standard devices
    - set 2.4GHz mode to 802.11b/g/n
    - OFDMA remains enabled to keep that important feature for 5GHz

I have connected all my smaller/iOT devices to the 2.4 band - so losing newer features there doesn't hurt at all.

Since this change, Squeezebox Radio works flawlessley without the described disconnects again.
    Last edited by Ge Ba; 2021-04-27 at 23:47. Reason: OFDMA on/off tested - can remain enabled.

here's a screenshot of the settings from TP-Link's Archer AX50. Note: OFDMA can remain enabled.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-04-26 134028_LMS.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  228.5 KB
    Last edited by Ge Ba; 2021-04-27 at 23:48. Reason: OFDMA on/off tested - can remain enabled.