Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PiCorePlayer and wifi Access Point in Bridge mode

Hello all!

I use with success pcp for my audio multiroom since 4 years now. All works fine.

One of my player is hoste on a Rpi3 (with embedded wifi chip), so I want this player do more things like sharing LAN access.

I activate WAP mode, go to wap mode page and fill in fields. After reboot access point is OK; I can connect to it with all my devices. But in this mode, there is another dhcp server on the Rpi giving devices connected an IP adress. I want use the bridge mode as connected devices will have IP from my primary DHCP server.
    This mode doesn't work because of brctl command can't operate the bridgingbetween eth0 and wlan0:

Code:
    tc@pCP:~$ brctl
    Usage: brctl [commands]
    commands:
            addbr           <bridge>                add bridge
            delbr           <bridge>                delete bridge
            addif           <bridge> <device>       add interface to bridge
            delif           <bridge> <device>       delete interface from bridge
            hairpin         <bridge> <port> {on|off}        turn hairpin on/off
            setageing       <bridge> <time>         set ageing time
            setbridgeprio   <bridge> <prio>         set bridge priority
            setfd           <bridge> <time>         set bridge forward delay
            sethello        <bridge> <time>         set hello time
            setmaxage       <bridge> <time>         set max message age
            setpathcost     <bridge> <port> <cost>  set path cost
            setportprio     <bridge> <port> <prio>  set port priority
            show            [ <bridge> ]            show a list of bridges
            showmacs        <bridge>                show a list of mac addrs
            showstp         <bridge>                show bridge stp info
            stp             <bridge> {on|off}       turn stp on/off
    tc@pCP:~$ brctl addbr br0
    add bridge failed: Package not installed
    After many web search, it appears that the kernel of piCorePlayer is compiled with the option "CONFIG_BRIDGE=m" ...

There is a way to make brctl command working without compiling a new kernel ?

Thanks

Olivier

Hello all!

Nobody has an idea?

brctl is certainly not a requirement otherwise it would be part of the kernel.
    Perhaps you can try using "ip": https://baturin.org/docs/iproute2/#ip-link-add-bridge

This being said I guess you'll have to bridge ethernet early enough so that it'll get IP configured at boot, and not eth0. Hope that's ok.
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

The bridging kernel modules should have been installed when you installed WAP mode. What version are you using?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hello Epoch and Paul,

Thanks for tour answers.

Epoch, eth0 has IP at boot by my primary dhcp (fixed). But problem is not here. I cant actually add a bridge as a new interface. I hope i understood your sentence...

I use the last version of piCore player or not far... (piCorePlayer v7.0.1 | www v00016 | linux 5.4.83-pcpCore-v7 | piCore v12.0pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.9-1364-pCP)

WAP mode has an option to use bridge mode, and when i check sh, i can see it calls brctl command. brctl and all package and dependancy are ok.

In WAP mode when I Check bridge mode, apmode restart but because of brctl command doesnt work, I cant access pi by eth or wlan interfaces. In fact I check basics, so it is why I try to make a bridge with cli
    Last edited by oliverbg1; 2021-04-19 at 03:36.

Well, well.
    I wasn't aware bridged AP mode was a thing in piCore. I have one player running pCP v7 that I installed recently. So I went about and clicked my way through setting up AP mode (downloads went well apparently), bridged mode (doesn't seem to get concerned with the IP address field just above it).

And then I pressed the start button (or something like that, I don't have the GUI in front of me anymore, now
    I thought that would start an AP bridged with eth0 and clients would be part of the main LAN.
    Last thing I saw was a trace mentioning IP address 10.10.10.1, which is useless on my network, and possibly in this scenario, too.

Alas, the headless machine has now sailed away. It's not in a 10.10.10.0/24 network, either on wifi or ethernet. It doesn't have an mDNS published address. Perhaps it has a zeroconf address but I didn't scan long enough to find it.
    In other words, it feels a little bit like a brick.

I will get myself out of trouble, no worries.
    But either there is somehow room for improvement for the unsuspecting user merrily clicking through the GUI, or there is a bug in that feature in v7.
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Some more info after reinstalling a clean copy of pCP 7 on the machine. Still no HDMI console attached so I'm unwilling to commit settings again.
    From the web GUI I installed AP mode.
    Then I tried the commands the OP posted and I am in the same boat.
    Code:
    tc@carmel:~$ brctl addbr br0
    add bridge failed: Package not installed
    tc@carmel:~$ sudo modprobe bridge
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'bridge': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    tc@carmel:~$ dmesg | tail -10 
    [ 4559.489816] bridge: Unknown symbol stp_proto_unregister (err -2)
    [ 4607.253591] bridge: Unknown symbol llc_mac_hdr_init (err -2)
    [ 4607.253747] bridge: Unknown symbol stp_proto_register (err -2)
    [ 4607.254296] bridge: Unknown symbol stp_proto_unregister (err -2)
    [ 4607.306084] bridge: Unknown symbol llc_mac_hdr_init (err -2)
    [ 4607.306287] bridge: Unknown symbol stp_proto_register (err -2)
    [ 4607.306944] bridge: Unknown symbol stp_proto_unregister (err -2)
    [ 4628.110633] bridge: Unknown symbol llc_mac_hdr_init (err -2)
    [ 4628.110774] bridge: Unknown symbol stp_proto_register (err -2)
    [ 4628.111217] bridge: Unknown symbol stp_proto_unregister (err -2)
    Code:
    tc@carmel:/tmp/tcloop/net-bridging-5.4.83-pcpCore-v7/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.83-pcpCore-v7/kernel/net/bridge$ modinfo ./bridge.ko 
    filename:       /tmp/tcloop/net-bridging-5.4.83-pcpCore-v7/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.83-pcpCore-v7/kernel/net/bridge/./bridge.ko
    alias:          rtnl-link-bridge
    version:        2.3
    license:        GPL
    srcversion:     7C04551615E1E32D1EE5353
    depends:        stp,ipv6,llc
    intree:         Y
    name:           bridge
    vermagic:       5.4.83-pcpCore-v7 SMP mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8
    Looking at /tmp/tcloop/pcp-apmode/usr/local/bin/pcp-apmode, it is clear that set_bridge_on() can't work unless brctl addbr br0 succeeds.

Unfortunately, by just looking at the list of available extensions, I am not sure from where to load the stp and llc modules the bridge module expects
    Code:
    tc@carmel:/proc$ sudo modprobe configs
    tc@carmel:/proc$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i llc
    CONFIG_LLC=m
    # CONFIG_LLC2 is not set
    tc@carmel:/proc$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i stp
    CONFIG_BRIDGE_EBT_STP=m
    CONFIG_STP=m
    CONFIG_GPIOLIB_FASTPATH_LIMIT=512
    # CONFIG_MFD_STPMIC1 is not set
    I also found this previous post on the same problem: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-dependencies)

HTH
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2021-04-22 at 09:22.

Hello Epoch and thank you for your research. As you say we are in the same boat..

For me the problem is on the side of the kernel compiling. One option for it is "CONFIG_BRIDGE". We can see it in the sumary of the compile options used to compile the kernel. File is 5.4.83-pcpCore-v7_.config.
    A part of the file:

Code:
    CONFIG_ATM=m
    # CONFIG_ATM_CLIP is not set
    # CONFIG_ATM_LANE is not set
    # CONFIG_ATM_BR2684 is not set
    CONFIG_L2TP=m
    # CONFIG_L2TP_DEBUGFS is not set
    CONFIG_L2TP_V3=y
    CONFIG_L2TP_IP=m
    CONFIG_L2TP_ETH=m
    CONFIG_STP=m
    CONFIG_GARP=m
    CONFIG_BRIDGE=m
    CONFIG_BRIDGE_IGMP_SNOOPING=y
    # CONFIG_BRIDGE_VLAN_FILTERING is not set
    CONFIG_HAVE_NET_DSA=y
    # CONFIG_NET_DSA is not set
    CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q=m
    CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q_GVRP=y
    # CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q_MVRP is not set
    # CONFIG_DECNET is not set
    CONFIG_LLC=m
    # CONFIG_LLC2 is not set
    CONFIG_ATALK=m
    # CONFIG_DEV_APPLETALK is not set
    # CONFIG_X25 is not set
    # CONFIG_LAPB is not set
    # CONFIG_PHONET is not set
    CONFIG_6LOWPAN=m
    A way to try to solve this issue would be to compile the picoreplayer kernel with option CONFIG_BRIDGE=m to "y"... and maybe few nore to satisfy dependancy.

That’s a packaging issue I think. When the kernel was compiled a bunch of modules were compiled, including those we miss.
    The question would be in which .tcz extension file modules stp.ko and llc.ko have landed, and I don’t know how to answer that.

I’ll check out the module packaging.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer