Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Yes. Stuff at higher resolution than 16/44.1 will be transcoded by LMS
    No, it will be transcoded by the bridge, not by LMS in that case
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Yes. Stuff at higher resolution than 16/44.1 will be transcoded by LMS
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    No, it will be transcoded by the bridge, not by LMS in that case
    Thank you both, that's useful to know. Airplay is definitely a good option for me then.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    There are allot of radios on the US ebay and many offer overseas shipping (not sure where you are located). All you have to do is swap out the adaptor.

I check in on ebay here is the US frequently and there is always an abundance of radios. Touches and Booms are more rare (and seemingly more desirable = higher price). The radios generally for for about $50 - $70 USD. I have bought a few, use 2 and have 2 in storage.

Jim
    I have now found a couple for auction on Ebay, thanks, I'll keep an eye on them...

I use a Libratone Zipp as a portable speaker for use in the garden. It is both Airplay and Bluetooth. I use it in Airplay mode with the Airplay bridge and its great.
    In perusing Ebay I found these Zipp Minis going for what seems to be a very good buy-it-now price. They seem to have the same functionality as the full-size Zipp, but have less power and a 3" instead of 4" driver. Reasonable reviews around though.

Quote Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
    In perusing Ebay I found these Zipp Minis going for what seems to be a very good buy-it-now price. They seem to have the same functionality as the full-size Zipp, but have less power and a 3" instead of 4" driver. Reasonable reviews around though.
    That is a very good price!
    The big brother version has excellent sound for its size. I'd expect that to be pretty good too.
    I use mine in Airplay mode with Philippe's bridge and I'd recommend that mode as the best option if your WiFi reaches far enough into the garden.
    One tip. Disconnect your phone from Bluetooth (or temporarily switch off on Phone) as it seems to take preference to AirPlay - I had a few occasions where controlling on my phone via Material something else has suddenly started playing!
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

That is a very good price!
    The big brother version has excellent sound for its size. I'd expect that to be pretty good too.
    I use mine in Airplay mode with Philippe's bridge and I'd recommend that mode as the best option if your WiFi reaches far enough into the garden.
    One tip. Disconnect your phone from Bluetooth (or temporarily switch off on Phone) as it seems to take preference to AirPlay - I had a few occasions where controlling on my phone via Material something else has suddenly started playing!
    Thanks for the tips! I got it today. It is nicely made and the sound quality is not bad, absolutely fine for the garden and more than loud enough (to annoy the neighbours ).

The AirPlay bridge is working nicely, thank you phillippe_44.

I did a little walkabout and my wi-fi range covers everywhere that I might reasonably want it. It was interesting to hear how the speaker sounds very different in different spaces (and in different positions in those spaces). It is not so easy to experiment with speaker placement with my main wired floorstanders!!

My only concern with the Zipp is (unless I am missing something) that is is dependent on an app for initial network set-up, and so is thus dependent on the continuing support of the app by its dev. I am sensitive to this as I have an original Sphero and Sphero R2D2 in the house, both in fine mechanical condition... but Sphero no longer support them. Both would be dead if it were not for the APKMirror, where the apps can still be found... but at some point even these will cease to work with future versions of Android. I guess the Squeezebox Radio has a real advantage here. I presume that SqueezeAmp has browser or SSH/Telnet config?

I just found the Zipp Mini for a bit less again here on Ebay. They're doing Best Offer too.

Quote Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
    My only concern with the Zipp is (unless I am missing something) that is is dependent on an app for initial network set-up, and so is thus dependent on the continuing support of the app by its dev.
    This sort of device usually have a built-in Wireless Access Point and web server for set-up.
    https://support.libratone.com/hc/en-...ne-BlackBerry-

My Zipp 2 should arrive in a day or so ...
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    This sort of device usually have a built-in Wireless Access Point and web server for set-up.
    https://support.libratone.com/hc/en-...ne-BlackBerry-

That's really nice to know, thank you! I can relax now!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    My Zipp 2 should arrive in a day or so ...
    Good luck with it!