Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Speaker for garden. Bluetooth?

Hi

It is too early to say whether or not Summer will come to the UK this year, but I like to be optimistic and want to get portable speaker device ready to use in the garden, just in case. I have LMS runing on a Pi 3B+ (DietPi) and would like to use that to feed it. Any suggestions welcome. I could do a DIY pi-based player build but would prefer the easy life for this project if poss. as I have just come out of a speaker refurb & surround sound installation binge and my wife would now prefer me to spend some time on other areas of the house.

We already have a Bluetooth portable speaker - can LMS send directly one of these? Else, are there any commercial portable speakers with squeezelite built-in? Any other suggestions welcome.

pCP can drive a bluetooth speaker using the built-in Bluetooth ... but it might work better with a Bluetooth dongle instead of the internal one.
    However, Bluetooth does not travel very far ... so how far away is your garden listening point from your RPi ?

A battery powered AirPlay or Chromecast device might be better since they run over WiFi which will travel further (and use the batteries faster).

Another route is SqueezeAMP embedded inside a passive speaker and powered by recharagable batteries.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Use the LMS 'Material' app on your mobile phone and connect your phone via Bluetooth to your speaker. You have full remote control and volume adjustment.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

I use a Libratone Zipp as a portable speaker for use in the garden. It is both Airplay and Bluetooth. I use it in Airplay mode with the Airplay bridge and its great.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    Use the LMS 'Material' app on your mobile phone and connect your phone via Bluetooth to your speaker. You have full remote control and volume adjustment.
    Would still need a player on your phone though ... Material skin isn't one - plus plenty of battery life in your phone and if you disappear off to the fridge to get another drink then don't forget to leave your phone with the family so that the music does not stop.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

pCP has a really nice bluetooth support option, as Paul says.

The drawback, for me, is that you have to go back to the specific host pCP prefs to re-connect your BT speaker if you turn it off or use it elsewhere. That adds a bit of friction to the experience that I dislike and that others in the household find wholly untenable. I'd also love to learn that there's an easier way.

It would be neat if there were a way to reconnect BT devices from LMS rather than the individual pCP prefs page, which would reduce that friction.

As it is, I found that a true LMS player was a better UX overall because it just appears in the LMS player list when powered on, unlink my BT devices. In my case, a Squeezebox Radio, but soon I will play with a SqueezeAMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Would still need a player on your phone though ... Material skin isn't one - plus plenty of battery life in your phone and if you disappear off to the fridge to get another drink then don't forget to leave your phone with the family so that the music does not stop.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention I use the Squeezeplayer app which registers the phone with LMS as a player. LMS Material app used for control and music beamed to the speaker (a Logitech Boom bluetooth speaker ironically). I leave my phone on the table because when I wander off my wife will immediately want to turn the volume down! As my son said to me "Dad, you drive way too fast, turn the music down you are deafening me". I punched the air after that one!
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
    Hi

It is too early to say whether or not Summer will come to the UK this year, but I like to be optimistic and want to get portable speaker device ready to use in the garden, just in case.
    Any other suggestions welcome.
    There are other ways to annoy ones neighbours,

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by hoverdonkey View Post
    Hi

would prefer the easy life for this project if poss. // Any other suggestions welcome.
    A SB Radio with a battery? I use mine all of the time outside, get a full afternoon and more on a charge, and the sound is quite good for a little box.

Jim

i put some ceiling speakers in the soffit boards and then have a PCP install with hifiberry amp driving them

works well
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 on Allo Digi One Signaturewith (Lounge)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry Dig+ (Office)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry DAC+(Kitchen)
    Radio (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with pi official touchscreen and USB DAC (Bedroom)
    Squeezelite=x (Garage)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)

LMS 8.1 on DIY Unraid 6 Server (i5)

Squeeze user since the SB1