Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

How random is random?

Running LMS 8.1.1 on MacOS 11.2.3.

Iím toying with a few variations to get combinations of my server library and/or Spotify library playing random (or shuffled, if you prefer that term).

At present Iím using Random Mix. Iíve set its genre checkboxes on the web UI so that it accesses what I want from my own server library of tracks and from my Spotify stuff. This works well.

Sometimes, though, I want to have only my Spotify stuff playing in random/shuffle mode. Iíve tried this with Settings/Shuffle set to Shuffle By Song on the SB3 but have had what we might call less than random results. I mean, much as I like Steely Dan, Blue Nile, and a few others, their tracks do turn up much too frequently to deserve the term random. There are loads of tracks and artists that just never ever turn up.

So, my two linked questions.

1. Is there another way to do random that Iím missing and that might suit my requirements?

2. Is there a way to set up more than one set of prefs for Random Mix? It occurs to me that it would be nice to have an option where just the Spotify checkbox is checked, in addition to the one Iím using. In other words, I could choose between a random feed from Mine+Spotify and a random feed from Spotify-only.

How random is random?

Whether Random Play was random enough or not has been the topic of
    discussions many times before. There even is a PR which is supposed to
    improve the situation. Unfortunately its author didn't respond to my
    questions:

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/pull/520

Maybe you can give his changes a try and see for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by whitman View Post

2. Is there a way to set up more than one set of prefs for Random Mix? It occurs to me that it would be nice to have an option where just the Spotify checkbox is checked, in addition to the one Iím using. In other words, I could choose between a random feed from Mine+Spotify and a random feed from Spotify-only.
    As all Spotify tracks carry a Genre of Spotify you can achieve a Spotify only mix using the Random Seed method - randomplay://track?genres=Spotify
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by whitman View Post
    Running LMS 8.1.1 on MacOS 11.2.3.

I love this idea. It would be nice to have multiple preset random mixes with custom prefs. Maybe I want to exclude genres that are not as publicly palatable from a particular mix, or create a "Random Mix from 1978", but not have to mess with the Random Mix prefs every time.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    questions:

Michael, I looked at that link. I'm afraid I don't understand what it means. Can you explain?

d6jg, I knowóI meant it would be good to use that setting as a preset and be able to toggle between different ones, which benh likes the sound of, too. Is there a possibility of this?

Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    I love this idea. It would be nice to have multiple preset random mixes with custom prefs. Maybe I want to exclude genres that are not as publicly palatable from a particular mix, or create a "Random Mix from 1978", but not have to mess with the Random Mix prefs every time.
    Erland Isaksson's SQL Playlist and Dynamic Playlists plugins provide these capabilities. They are no longer supported, but they still work quite well, for now. At some point changes to LMS will probably break them.

See the Unsupported Plugins section on the Plugins page of LMS Settings.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Erland Isaksson's SQL Playlist and Dynamic Playlists plugins provide these capabilities. They are no longer supported, but they still work quite well, for now. At some point changes to LMS will probably break them.

Well, now. That's cool. Thanks for the pointer!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post

RobbH, that sounded promising, but I think the warning at the web UI about unsupported plugins is probably well advisedóI installed these two to give them a whirl, and LMS promptly crashed, which I think is the first time for years it's done this. So I uninstalled. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    questions:

Michael, I see a thread at that link but I don't see anything to "try"ónot sure what I should be looking for.